Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:30 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:18 pm
Great to hear some of the stories of experiences with Ron.

My two cents, would like to keep thread open. Would be nice to post here and there when a “Ron moment” memory hits. For example when Killian Hayes is a all star :)
The length of this thread is testament to the many ways that we've found to keep it going.

Now we face our biggest challenge. But I think, like Ron, we will find a way to keep going until we can't.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:53 pm

Another article about Ron.

https://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit ... 24/446738/

It feels like an AI rip from the Free Press article, but it's good to know that the news is being announced through different news sources.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:00 pm

What a day, I hope with next weeks show some of his past guests could call in, not sure if it can happen but would be great to hear from Rich Kincaid, and others.

From what was said on the AA show it does sound like they are really going to do a nice job in putting memories together

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm

I wonder who now assumes the mantle as the longest-running talk show host.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:29 pm

George Eichorn had many nice things to say about Ron today on X

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 pm

I'd like to think that Ron would be pleased with this remark from the Detroit Sports Nation article on his passing................

"The passing of Ron Cameron is a poignant reminder of the transient nature of the voices that come into our lives through the airwaves, leaving indelible marks on our memories. As Detroit mourns the loss of its “Superfan,” Cameron's legacy will live on through the countless listeners he inspired and entertained. His dedication to sports broadcasting, coupled with his unique personality, ensured that Ron Cameron would be remembered not just as a broadcaster, but as a beloved member of the Detroit sports community. As we reflect on his contribution to sports media, it's clear that Ron Cameron was more than just a voice on the radio; he was a cornerstone of Detroit's sports culture."

We should all hope to be remembered with words as kind as these.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:06 pm

I must admit that I was taken quite aback by the Free Press's retrospective of Ron's life. As we know, Ron hasn't had any substantive relevance in the Detroit sports media market for decades, certainly not in the lifetime of the reporter, Jared Ramsey (another high school hire as Ron would say). Which leads me to wonder if the article was informed by the phenomenon of this thread, in a regional media forum that may well attract local media types.

https://talkingbiznews.com/media-moves/ ... -reporter/

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:19 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 pm
I'd like to think that Ron would be pleased with this remark from the Detroit Sports Nation article on his passing................

"The passing of Ron Cameron is a poignant reminder of the transient nature of the voices that come into our lives through the airwaves, leaving indelible marks on our memories. As Detroit mourns the loss of its “Superfan,” Cameron's legacy will live on through the countless listeners he inspired and entertained. His dedication to sports broadcasting, coupled with his unique personality, ensured that Ron Cameron would be remembered not just as a broadcaster, but as a beloved member of the Detroit sports community. As we reflect on his contribution to sports media, it's clear that Ron Cameron was more than just a voice on the radio; he was a cornerstone of Detroit's sports culture."

We should all hope to be remembered with words as kind as these.
If Ron would not be pleased with those remarks then there would be no pleasing Ron.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 pm

The Freep has a few errors, namely AM frequencies, and omits Ron’s restaurants past the 1980s, but it is still a nice read.

Next Friday I’d love to hear comments on air from old producers, as well as interviewees and callers. If Sean Baligian, George Eichorn, and yes, Bob Page could phone in and expand their tributes it would be even better.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:54 am

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:37 am

Dan in Northville wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:48 pm
I'm told that the representatives of the Catholic League are in the process of ordering patches featuring the initials "RC" to be worn on the sleeve of all team jerseys in honor of Ron.
It is comments like this that keep me coming around this community. I love this place.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:40 am

edj wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 pm
The Freep has a few errors, namely AM frequencies, and omits Ron’s restaurants past the 1980s, but it is still a nice read.

Next Friday I’d love to hear comments on air from old producers, as well as interviewees and callers. If Sean Baligian, George Eichorn, and yes, Bob Page could phone in and expand their tributes it would be even better.
Perhaps Jimmy Carson, Tim McCormick and Joe Gannon can pipe in on how Ron’s advice guided them on their respective paths.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:04 am

I really think it would be great if Bob Paige could call
In and share a story. For what’s it worth I asked if via x if it was possible if he could call in to the show, it’s a long shot but oh well

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:34 am

The Free Press article - with just the pic of Ron behind the mic at WXYZ - dominates page two of its sports section in the paper edition today. Quite a feat for our Ron.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:04 am

Things in no particular order that will remind me of Ron

Gretzky
Blake griffin
Anytime I hear “fella”
Jake Rogers-Hope he has a great year
Caravan
Unemployment/no one wants to work
One man operation
Bryon buxton