Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
uncleb67

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by uncleb67 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:49 pm

Tyrese Haliburton put up 25 on the Pistons tonight. Ron seeing that.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:24 pm

Like most everyone else, this came out of "left field" (Ron might have enjoyed the baseball analogy). In my fascination with Ron, I tried to hold back from making fun/mocking him as to me there was an underlying element of pathos with his behavior. To have continued in his line of work given the circumstances belied a need greater than financial. Given the trying nature of his formative years, I suspected an eternal need for validation regarding self-esteem. Ironically as he belittled many with the epithet "jock-sniffer," he may be remembered as the greatest "J-Ser" in metro Detroit history. Nevertheless, I truly hope he now has all the press-box passes he desires.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 pm

PS. Can someone update his Wikipedia entry? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Camer ... rtscaster)

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 pm

Funny, but as I was awaiting this page to load, I was thinking how I had not listened for over a month and would try to tune in tomorrow. It seems that I always had something better going on and could catch up later on this board. I think I had reached the point that, as BB King had sung, “the thrill is gone”. Personally, my curiosity has been based on the impending train wreck that always seemed to be looming over any Sports Talk with Ron Cameron starring Ron Cameron broadcast. I am kind of disappointed that he couldn’t deliver on that, but as Mick, Keith et al. sang “you can’t always get what you want”.
You have to admire his perseverance in being able to continue with a presence on the airwaves for so long. He should be an inspiration to the masses in the sense that, if he could do it, anyone can. In assessment of his show, to paraphrase the old philosopher Aristotle, in a backhanded way, the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.
Wherever Ron is now, weather it be up, down or a vast nothingness, there will be Ty Cobb (or countless others) saying “what are you doing here?”
So what now become of the physical RC? Ashes in a jar on a shelf behind the register at the Southfield Rams Horn? Internment in a mini mausoleum at Holy Sepulcher on Ten Mile? Perhaps burial in some Potters Field where a babushka clad feeble old motel maid, Hazel, has dumped a thousand stained paper note scraps with various phone numbers written in Cameronglyphics in a bed of roses style arrangement.
I wonder if the local sportscasters HOF veterans committee finds room for Ron now that they would not be subjected to an induction speech by him.
Perhaps the most positive tribute I can bestow on Ron is that he was just Ron being Ron that brought the denizens of this little community of the inter webs together. I would like nothing better than to buy you all a round of “pop” one day in thanks for all of the entertainment that our appreciation of Ron has provided.

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:08 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 pm
PS. Can someone update his Wikipedia entry? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Camer ... rtscaster)
Done.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:10 pm

Thank you!

edj

Post by edj » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 am

If Jake Rogers hits .280 with 35 HRs this year, it’ll be because of Ron.

Where do Ron’s listeners go? Mr. Positive still has 97.1. I think he’s still banned from WJR. Surprised he hasn’t called in to 910AM or Darryl Wood on WDTK or WLQV. Kurt won’t get the airtime he so desires on 97.1. What about Drew in Troy?

The Friday shows have been hard to listen to much of lately due to work. I would think Martin will make an announcement at 11AM today, then do his planned tribute show next Friday. I might not be able to tune in- hoping one of us can record for posterity purposes.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am

Missing his “last” show is a source of frustration.

By God, Ron had a guest (someone should let Lance know of his honor) and he started on time and went a little long.

In the most quirky way, he was able to live his life doing what he sought to do, so good on Mr. Cameron. Here’s to his seeing, then speaking to the action and getting deserved dinners now and forever more.

Maybe a communal smile at 11:02 is the way to tribute the infrequent focus of our attention. Be well.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:00 am

Wow don’t know where to start. I started listening during the pandemic when working from home as I have mentioned many times, I was always amazed at him driving all over town to get the ads old school style

You disagree with him, but it became a weekend tradition and I enjoyed my interactions with many of you, hopefully in the future we can continue with another show of some sort at some point. it’s a bummer for sure

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:44 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:00 am
Wow don’t know where to start. I started listening during the pandemic when working from home as I have mentioned many times, I was always amazed at him driving all over town to get the ads old school style

You disagree with him, but it became must listen to radio for me, on the weekends, and I enjoyed my interactions with many of you, hopefully in the future we can continue with another show of some sort at some point. it’s a bummer for sure
Well, evidently Rob Parker is….oh, never mind.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:30 am

Bob Page, long disparaged by Ron, is waxing very respectful of memories of Ron over on Page’s Twitter account. Sounds like he’s acknowledging the good, the bad, and everything in between.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:32 am

This is quite unexpected. He was stuck in a time warp of the late 70's and early 80's , back in his heyday. Got to give him his due for that and with how he grew up. To Majik's comment, I'm sure where ever Ron ended up, someone is saying "What are you doing here?" I guess he passed doing what he wanted.
Ron was like a timex watch, "keeps a lickin, but keeps on tickin" until it wasn't. RIP Scoop.

A musical tribute for Ron who did it His way.

https://youtu.be/qQzdAsjWGPg?si=O-5NoYBcvl-1hoL0

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:30 am
Bob Page, long disparaged by Ron, is waxing very respectful of memories of Ron over on Page’s Twitter account. Sounds like he’s acknowledging the good, the bad, and everything in between.
I read that as well, nice that while he acknowledged there distance over the years, he still had some nice to say

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:10 am

I listened to him back in the 70"s not much since then,but I did like reading this forum about him. RIP Ron

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:34 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am
Missing his “last” show is a source of frustration.
Maybe the show will air at 11. If so, we can learn who was the last caller to speak to Ron.
Momo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:57 pm
Caller #7: ??? (I got a call, so I missed this caller's name.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic