Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:46 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:57 pm
Momo wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:15 pm
wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:55 pm
Did Ron let the cat out of the bag when he said that the cleaner threw away some of his phone numbers from his office at the hotel? Ron must be operating the front desk.
It never occurred to me that - just as he did in the ‘60s, as he often recounts - Ron is working the front desk at these series of seedy motels in which he has lived throughout his adult life. And that his room is his compensation.
Didn't someone on the old thread say that they saw Ron working the front desk of a motel downriver?
That does sound vaguely familiar. It explains how Ron, the traveling vagabond, is able to keep a roof over his head.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:54 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:40 pm
wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 pm
My favorite thing in all of this is that Ron had a successful radio show in the 70's judging from newspaper articles, why did he throw everything away to go to brokered radio? He acts like he has some hot opinions and they can't stop him but what exactly does he say that someone on local radio doesn't say besides personal attacks on Frank Beckman and Bob Page? Talk about being a complete fool and literally living in a druggie motel where he probably could have made big money back in the 80's and 90's when local media was dishing out big money and retiring in dignity instead of showing up to Rams Horn every Friday and Saturday and asking for his free breakfast.
I wonder as well,about the brokered radio, maybe he did well early in life so money is not a big thing to him, but to make the drive to a am station that for most of us to hear we have to go online twice a week and not get paid if I am correct. He must really love sports. Not my business my I wonder what his fincial support is
He seems to have been under contract at a radio station for at most 3 years in the late '70s/early '80s, so I highly doubt that he was able to live off those earnings for too long. His basic support seems to come from the motels where, in exchange for working the front desk, he gets a roof over his head, & comped meals from his restaurant sponsors.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:54 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:40 pm
wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 pm
My favorite thing in all of this is that Ron had a successful radio show in the 70's judging from newspaper articles, why did he throw everything away to go to brokered radio? He acts like he has some hot opinions and they can't stop him but what exactly does he say that someone on local radio doesn't say besides personal attacks on Frank Beckman and Bob Page? Talk about being a complete fool and literally living in a druggie motel where he probably could have made big money back in the 80's and 90's when local media was dishing out big money and retiring in dignity instead of showing up to Rams Horn every Friday and Saturday and asking for his free breakfast.
I wonder as well,about the brokered radio, maybe he did well early in life so money is not a big thing to him, but to make the drive to a am station that for most of us to hear we have to go online twice a week and not get paid if I am correct. He must really love sports. Not my business my I wonder what his fincial support is
He seems to have been under contract at a radio station for at most 3 years in the late '70s/early '80s, so I highly doubt that he was able to live off those earnings for too long. His basic support seems to come from the motels where, in exchange for working the front desk, he gets a roof over his head, & comped meals from his restaurant sponsors.
Interesting life, minus sports he probably would have interesting stories to tel from the front desk job if he does do that

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Not to mention all the bad business deals he’s been involved in from the multiple failed restaurants to his failed attempt at becoming a boxing promoter to his failure as a radio station operator and his attempt to compete with the Hearst family with his sports magazine. He had the golden ticket as a Detroit sports show host and his stubbornness blew it. Now he’s taking calls from full blown Qanon/Michigan Milita member Dan from Hartland and living in a downriver motel with as he put it; druggies.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 pm

Kinda was dozing off this afternoon when the boredom of Ron’s last half-hour left him kind of free-form riffing on topics when I heard him say with disgust...”nothing but druggies and smokers downriver...and people that don’t wear masks!” Just straight up bizarre radio. Ron working the front desk at these “dumps (his description)” he calls home, is long way from the Fort Shelby!

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:02 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 pm
Kinda was dozing off this afternoon when the boredom of Ron’s last half-hour left him kind of free-form riffing on topics when I heard him say with disgust...”nothing but druggies and smokers downriver...and people that don’t wear masks!” Just straight up bizarre radio. Ron working the front desk at these “dumps (his description)” he calls home, is long way from the Fort Shelby!
Yea those comments came out of the blue, he didn’t go much further, as I mentioned earlier must be interesting living in the situation he kind of stated he lived in

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

Am I the only one noticing the transition that Kurt is making from baseball historian to Detroit Pistons expert?

Someone needs to ask Ron why he doesn't buy a house or rent an apartment. The long term motel stay lifestyle has to be brutal. I remember when I would have a conference for work and we'd stay at a hotel for a few days, I couldn't wait to go home, because I wanted to sleep in my own bed and didn't want to eat out for every meal. Ron basically lives off a mini fridge and carry out food from his sponsors. Something is wrong with that guy.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:26 pm

This explains why he is always so busy.Working 8 hours behind the front desk and then selling ads for his show would make for a busy day.He does have an unusual lifestyle but it works for him.He sure does love talking sports.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:26 pm

This explains why he is always so busy.Working 8 hours behind the front desk and then selling ads for his show would make for a busy day.He does have an unusual lifestyle but it works for him.He sure does love talking sports.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:32 pm

I was looking stuff up in federal court filings database and out of curiosity I looked up Ron and found that he filed for bankruptcy in 2010 after one of his restaurant disasters.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Imagine having Ron as your client. Occasionally he'll refer to his attorney in the present sense, not noting his onetime attorney is long dead.

Ron should really figure out a way to do his show from his motel. If his show's not captivating enough, just think what it would be like to listen in as engages with motel guests/residents & calls out the maid. He could even do play-by-play & commentary on his favorite old game shows.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

His biggest asset listed in the public filing is a car valued at $5400. I want to feel sorry for him but I can’t because he’s such an arrogant person.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 am

I’m afraid arrogance only scratches the surface of Ron’s malignant personality. Whatever on-air success he initially enjoyed, however fleeting, however (to me, at least) mystifying, his cascading character deficits were destined to dictate the predominant arc of his life.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 pm

The thing that made me laugh was his home address and it was two different red roof inns by the airport. Talk about the emperor having no clothes.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 am

From the sounds of it, Ron’s current digs make his once Red Roof lodging seem like the Waldorf-Astoria.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic