Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:30 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:55 am
Ron should have been in politics.
Without ever having a permanent address, Ron would be the only politician not registered to vote. His constituency would be the lowest information non-voters. And his platform would consist entirely of a promise to open a dive restaurant in every community. With announcements always coming “next week.”

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Ron is pro-billionaire (owners) and anti-players. Pro umpires. Everything is about Ron. Cult following. Prefers the "good old days" where owners paid players very little. Treats his producers poorly.

Yup, that sounds like Ron would fit right in with the current political climate.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:39 pm

With his experience shaking down pizzerias and other small businesses, we know Ron has a real aptitude for retail politics. A middle school dropout, with roots to the common man, he's an entirely self-made man, one with a long history of running his own successful radio shows & restaurants. And he's former umpire who calls it as he sees it. I imagine there would be such a universal groundswell for the candidacy of this homespun leader of men that, much like with Gen. Eisenhower, both of the major national parties would offer him their nomination on a platter. Ron Cameron for President in '24. Hey, stranger things have happened. And he has been working out every morning.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:40 pm
Alex,

Does Ron just drive around everyday stopping at random business' looking for sponsors? I can't imagine people reaching out to him.
Alex probably has a better insider take than I on a situation like this, though several years ago, Ron somehow found himself in and around the community where I live and work. He basically came out of nowhere and started badgering the owners of the business I worked for (who had NO IDEA who this Ron Cameron was/is, though I did!), looking to get them buy an ad on his show (not sure which station he was on at the time, though it was definitely low-watt). When they rebuffed him, he turned ugly, nasty, and even more boorish than what we all hear on the radio. Not the moves of a real “closer”!

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

I can only imagine the "angry at producer" Ron veers his ugly head when you don't buy an AD from him. It fascinates me that a 75 year old man who lives out of a motel, spends each day trying to sells Ad's (free food, gas) to his radio show whose listeners haven't come out of the 1970's and think of Ron as some super sports wizard.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Ron is nothing if not entertaining to listeners and this forum. Otherwise, not sure if the general public is so forgiving!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:30 pm

One thing just to not lose sight on and I don't think people are, but back in the heyday of the mid 70's and probably up to the mid 80's, Ron was the King of the Detroit sports market and was really the only radio mouth in the Detroit market. That's how I remember him and Page, although Page knew the only way for his career to grow was to get out of Detroit and go to NY. Ron has never really grown out of that era and his methods to what help him succeed 35-40 years ago don't really work today. I met him a few times when I was a kid so perhaps his shtick takes me back to those days. He certainly is not the best radio to listen to these days but many times something funny or strange always seems to happen so that's why I continue to listen and every now and then he tells a good story that I haven't heard before.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Has Ron ever been married?Does he have any family.Has he ever even had a girl friend.He seems like a lonely old man living alone in a motel hoping to relive his glory days .It seems really sad.The only thing he has going for him is his love of sports.That said I am a fan.I enjoy listening to his show.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:20 pm
How long do you think it will take us to get to 80 pages on this new thread?
It’s been a little less than 10 months from this December 22, 2019 post & here we are on our 81st page. A very long 10 months, though.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:43 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm
wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:40 pm
Alex,

Does Ron just drive around everyday stopping at random business' looking for sponsors? I can't imagine people reaching out to him.
Alex probably has a better insider take than I on a situation like this, though several years ago, Ron somehow found himself in and around the community where I live and work. He basically came out of nowhere and started badgering the owners of the business I worked for (who had NO IDEA who this Ron Cameron was/is, though I did!), looking to get them buy an ad on his show (not sure which station he was on at the time, though it was definitely low-watt). When they rebuffed him, he turned ugly, nasty, and even more boorish than what we all hear on the radio. Not the moves of a real “closer”!
Any idea on how much Ron charges

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:47 am

Airtime is $150 per hour on WPON, so that’s $600 a week. I don’t listen often partly due to their awful signal so I don’t know how many ads he reads each week. Divide the two and you get the break even point.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am

Kidcat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 pm
Has Ron ever been married?Does he have any family.Has he ever even had a girl friend.He seems like a lonely old man living alone in a motel hoping to relive his glory days .It seems really sad.The only thing he has going for him is his love of sports.
Kidcat, for a taste of Ron's personal life, I refer you to Neal Rubin, Ron's Boswell, whose articles about Ron - dating as far back as 1990 - can be found on pages 42 & 57 of this thread.
Kidcat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 pm
That said I am a fan.I enjoy listening to his show.
As the show is such a source of disinformation, downright falsehoods, recycled stories (some of dubious origins), with a monumentally narcissistic & mean-spirited host presiding over an audience of mostly worshipful, low-information callers, I find Ron to be the sports talk show equivalent of the 'Boom Goes The Dynamite' college sports anchor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

That being said, I am genuinely curious about what, other than the snark quality, would attract the interest of a sports fan, so, with all respect, please explain.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

Don’t forget that Ron has said many times that his listening audience has more women than men.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 am

The silent majority.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:33 am

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:22 pm
This Maurice guy has to be in his 90's. How do these people find Ron?
“Maurice” is the type of caller that often makes Ron’s show worth the cursory listen! Ancient-sounding, with a voice that sounds like it’s passing through a bag of nails, summer teeth, and a carton of Pall Mall no-filters, bringing a “hot take” on how much Ernie Harwell is missed!!! Obviously, how DO these people find Ron to be a first-time caller, but “Radio Gold”, nonetheless!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic