Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit station creating a disturbance in Ontario?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
rugratsonline

Detroit station creating a disturbance in Ontario?

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 pm

A man in the southwestern Ontario town of Amherstburg noticed problems of electronics in automobiles in his town malfunctioning. He now suspects that a Detroit FM station may be behind it:

https://blackburnnews.com/windsor/winds ... zlNNTVODw4

F-Squared

Re: Detroit station creating a disturbance in Ontario?

Post by F-Squared » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:57 pm

This problem has happened before. Entire cities would have their key fobs not work for a day. Once an entire investigation was launched but it just stopped and they didn't figure out who did it. I highly doubt an FM station is causing this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 pm

All FM transmitters have low pass filters and not much at 315 MHz would EVER get through. A TV station is more likely to have a problem than an FM station.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 am

What a poorly written and researched news report!!!

No FM stations from Detroit have their towers anywhere near Amherstburg, ON (which is due east of Trenton and Grosse Ile).

Five CANADIAN stations have transmitters nearby - CIMX, CBE-FM, CBEW-FM, CIDR and CJWF. At least two Canadian telecasters - CBET and CICO - also have transmitters nearby.

The local man who is "investigating" needs to cede the case to someone more competent.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Considering the source, Blackburn Radio, maybe it's a sneaky way to get its Canadian listeners to listen to Canadian radio, while posing American stations as those with inept engineering. He also declined to mention any specific source, other than an FM station in Detroit. And as mentioned above, automobile devices uses different frequencies than those for broadcasting.

If this was a genuine problem, you would bet that CBC, CTV and the Windsor Star would be over it as well, and maybe perhaps the Detroit outlets.

You would think a group of radio stations, each licensed to serve the public by the CRTC, would be more responsible to check facts before reporting anything that's based on sheer, amateurish speculation.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 pm

My guess is this could very well be an intermodulation issue.

CICO-TV very recently relocated from RF channel 32 to RF channel 19. That literally happened within the last month or two.

CICO-TV's tower is very near Amherstburg. So is that of 100 kW CIDR - 93.9 FM. They might even share the same broadcast tower.

93.9 * 2 + 315 = 502.8 MHz. Why is that relevant, you ask? Simple! CICO-TV broadcasts at 500 - 506 MHz.

So there ya have it. I have 50% confidence what I just described is the culprit, and if indeed that is the case, no U.S.-based broadcasters are at fault!!!

One would think one of Blackburn Radio's engineers would be smart enough to figure this out. I guess Blackburn's crack news department didn't think of consulting with their engineering department.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:22 pm

While sum products like 2A+B potentially create problems, 2A-B products are generally more problematic. If you ever tried to wing it building amplifiers and oscillators for VHF and low UHF without spurious suppression, they can have very dirty outputs that will cause a wide band desensitization of nearby receivers. Any products near the 10.7 MHz IF can cause similar desensitization. Look for a nearby hobbyist.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 am

If the FOB operates a bit below 315 MHz, might blending between CBET channel 9 and, say, 89X possibly be the culprit?

Would be nice to know exactly when the problem started occurring. The only major facilities change within the past year in that neck of the woods is CICO-TV's move to RF 19, which is why I think it's likely they're part of the equation.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Could you please expand upon the technical aspect of this? I think the Podcast listeners would like to know about it.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

What if it's Cowboy (Brad Baylis) trying to get himself on a frequency? Every time someone presses their key fob they just hear him talking about how handsome he is.

yupislyr

Post by yupislyr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:43 pm

It ended up being a bad car alarm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05 am

That's a little bit different than a U.S. broadcaster being to blame!! LOL

Thank you very much for posting the update!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 am

LOL - they were way off.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic