Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ric Ocasek RIP

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Bobbert » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 am

Every classic rock station in the country should have a moment of silence for the late Ric Ocasek, the mastermind behind the first Cars album that helped establish the classic rock format in the late 1980s and still helps support it.

And of course, Eddie Money did his share too.

sfpcc

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by sfpcc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 pm

In the last week we lost Daniel Johnston, Eddie Money and Ric Ocasek. it's starting to look like 2016 again.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Sorry, I gotta say it. I never could stand The Cars. And calling Ocasek a "great songwriter" like I have heard on many eulogies is absurd to me.

She's winding them down
On her clock machine
And she won't give up
'Cause she's seventeen

She's a frozen fire
She's my one desire
And I don't want to hold her down
Don't want to break her crown
When she says,
“Let’s Go”.

.....really?!? Great songwriting? A thrid grader could have written that.

That said...RIP Ric.

The censorship king from out of state.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

I preferred Benjamin Orr (sang lead on "Drive") myself, both as a songwriter and as a vocalist. They both had solo hits in 1986-87 and Ocasek's "Emotion in Motion" was pleasant enough, but Orr's "Stay the Night" is an underrated classic.

But yeah, 2019 is turning out to be another hell of a year for celebrity passings. Olivia Newton-John also has Stage IV cancer and Alex Trebek has had a setback and is back on chemo. And today we lost Cokie Roberts as well. Forget 2016, it's starting to feel like 2012 again.

joe60

Post by joe60 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

List the hits you wrote in your songwriting career

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm
Sorry, I gotta say it. I never could stand The Cars. And calling Ocasek a "great songwriter" like I have heard on many eulogies is absurd to me.

She's winding them down
On her clock machine
And she won't give up
'Cause she's seventeen

She's a frozen fire
She's my one desire
And I don't want to hold her down
Don't want to break her crown
When she says,
“Let’s Go”.

.....really?!? Great songwriting? A thrid grader could have written that.

That said...RIP Ric.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Orr was the better singer and frontman, but he didn’t do much writing in his Cars days.

Never liked Drive in the least.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 pm

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Meh.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Ric's "Troublizing" (from 1997 on Columbia) is his best solo album. Produced by Billy Corgan, lead singer of The Smashing Pumpkins!! His last album 2005 "Nexterday" isn't bad either!!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am

joe60 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Really?!? That's your retort? Jeez, you got me...yeah Ocasek wrote better songs than me.

I understand the Cars had a big following and sold millions of records. My wife and I have a fight for the volume dial in the car (no pun intended) when a Cars song comes on the radio, she loved 'em too. I just think they were insipid lyrically.

let the good times roll
let them knock you around
let the good times roll
let them make you a clown
-------------------------------------
I don't mind you hanging out
And talking in your sleep
It doesn't matter where you've been
As long as it was deep, Yeah
-----------------------------------------
All I want is you tonight
I guess that dress does fit you tight, yeah
You know that look does make me shake
It almost looks too good to fake
---------------------------------------

The censorship king from out of state.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm
I preferred Benjamin Orr (sang lead on "Drive") myself, both as a songwriter and as a vocalist. They both had solo hits in 1986-87 and Ocasek's "Emotion in Motion" was pleasant enough, but Orr's "Stay the Night" is an underrated classic.

But yeah, 2019 is turning out to be another hell of a year for celebrity passings. Olivia Newton-John also has Stage IV cancer and Alex Trebek has had a setback and is back on chemo. And today we lost Cokie Roberts as well. Forget 2016, it's starting to feel like 2012 again.
2019 seemed lighter for the first half of the year than past years in regards to major celebrity deaths. However, I do feel one or both of ONJ and Trebek will survive long enough to see 2020

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm

I love 80s music. I find the Cars, however, annoying and unlistenable. Eddie Money I could listen to all day.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Sgt. Sackto wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm
I love 80s music. I find the Cars, however, annoying and unlistenable. Eddie Money I could listen to all day.
Exactly the opposite for me as I can’t change the station fast enough when Eddie Money comes on. Really burnt out on his music from radio overplay. Most Cars tunes I’ll listen to

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Ric's first solo song & music video "Something To Grab For" (from 1982 "Beatitude"). Went to # 47 (Hot 100) & # 5 (Billboard's Mainstream Rock) in February of 1983. Model Marianne Gravette appears in the music video. Marianne was Playboy's Playmate Of The Year 1983. Marianne also appeared on the album cover of Ratt "Invasion Of Your Privacy" & the music video "Lay It Down" in the Summer of 1985. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9ZB98EfzY

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am
joe60 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Really?!? That's your retort? Jeez, you got me...yeah Ocasek wrote better songs than me.

I understand the Cars had a big following and sold millions of records. My wife and I have a fight for the volume dial in the car (no pun intended) when a Cars song comes on the radio, she loved 'em too. I just think they were insipid lyrically.

let the good times roll
let them knock you around
let the good times roll
let them make you a clown
-------------------------------------
I don't mind you hanging out
And talking in your sleep
It doesn't matter where you've been
As long as it was deep, Yeah
-----------------------------------------
All I want is you tonight
I guess that dress does fit you tight, yeah
You know that look does make me shake
It almost looks too good to fake
---------------------------------------
I find that a whole lot of songwriters are pretty weak. Especially the pros who churn out stuff for other singers (ahem, Diane Warren). I had a cd from a ska-revival band called Save Ferris that I listened to only once and gave away because the songwriting was so basic that it ruined the whole experience. I never paid attention to most of the Cars lyrics, with a few exceptions. The music is catchy enough to district from them. But I think if you read other writers lyrics, they wont be much better.
Still better than the cliche-ridden, second grade level crap Taylor Swift writes. Easily the dumbest and most embarassing songwriting ever.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic