All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Caroline Beasley's comments are absolutely vomit inducing! "Radio" has become a dirty word. Radio broadcasters are now "audio" and "digital' companies.

https://news.radio-online.com/articles/ ... -for-$135M

In any event, it will be interesting to see what programming changes are made. I've already detected some changes on 105.9 in recent days. A slow jams show has been added to the lineup at night, for instance. Also hearing a new V/O artist on the imaging cuts.

The bigger question to me is this - what happens to 107.5 after December?

Memo to WGRD: You need to sound a LOT more like your phenomenal sister station in Davenport, IA.

I-Rock 93.5 f*cking rules!!! https://irock935.com/playlist/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:11 pm

The agreement was that they were going to air certain nationally syndicated programs owned by Urban One for an undisclosed period of time.

Of course, all programming found on the Detroit Praise Network (other than maybe some weekend brokered programming) is from out of town, so you're probably correct that little will change there in the near future.

With regard to WDMK, Beasley is obligated to continue carrying Tom Joyner in A.M. Drive and D.L. Hughley in P.M. Drive for an undisclosed length of time. It is unclear if Beasley will be required to carry Tom Joyner's successor - Rickey Smiley - in 2020.

Memo to WGRD: You need to sound a LOT more like your phenomenal sister station in Davenport, IA.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 pm

99.9 MHz has been broadcasting nothing but dead air ever since Beasley took over.

The Praise Network's ratings have dropped by more than 60 percent over the past several months. I think listeners are getting fed up with the unreliable reception and the even worse sounding audio fidelity.

Interestingly, even though 99.9 MHz is off the air, 98.3 MHz, WDMK-HD2 and WDMK-HD3 have all continued broadcasting.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 am

I don't hear any difference in the sound of the station whatsoever. Same VO talent/Station ID's, and the evening love show was always there, nothing new.
I have a tough time understanding Beasley taking over and are leaving everything the same and not making it their "own" ....
Why would a broadcaster AGREE to keep the formats and syndicated shows when they purchased the stations? Is this for a period of time?
Time will tell I guess.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 am

A good time to make changes on 105.9 Kiss is when Tom Joyner retires at the end of the year.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm

I've always preferred Kiss to Mix. That said, I would hate to see Hughley's show disappear (it's one of few shows I can listen to in the afternoon outside of WWJ). I have to believe the overlap between 105.1 and 105.9 will be too often and changes will be made. I know ratings and revenue come into play, i.e. what station bills more, who performs better in the market, competition, etc. The question that always arises is what format holes are there in the market and how can we make more money? Would a classic soul format work? Would it work with the syndicated programs they have to carry? And then, should U1 drop the LMA with WGPR, what do THEY do?

Frankly, I won't miss Hot 107.5 should it disappear. Today's mainstream rap blows donkey dick. Of course, lots of current rock and pop and country product is terrible, so I guess it won't matter.

I vote for the Gregorian Chant format still.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic