Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No rain

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BKRPDM

No rain

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:52 am

I realize that parts of our NE area got slammed with rain last night, but the majority of the Metro Detroit area saw none at all. Epic fail forecast? Most of our local stations predicted 1-2 inches, and maybe 3 for most of us.

km1125

Re: No rain

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am

Yea, I'd say epic fail. They'd been predicting it for days and I turned the sprinklers off to save the water. I don't think we even got a drop.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 am

Folks in Macomb would have liked that to have been a "fail." 4-6” falls along M-59 corridor, floods etc.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am

Berkley in SE Oakland got a good amount last night.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02 am
Are you serious we're going to pick on the meteorologist now and blame them for an epic fail, Jesus you all need to get a life and go get a paper route or something.
This wasn't just a "spotty heavy showers and thunderstorms" prediction, it was "very heavy rain" - multiple INCHES of rain. I don't remember the exact language but the prediction was "very heavy rain" for all the south half of the viewing area, with extreme amounts towards the Ohio border.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:56 am

Lots of
"I’m no Meteorologist, but..."
happening here! :)

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Most of the metro area got nothing. I found it funny that the local weather folks were overhyping it, plus some of the electronic freeway boards posted warnings last night.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

The Southfield/Troy/Macomb areas to the north, and the Adrian/Monroe areas to the south would beg to differ with your stellar assessment. The possibility of heavy rain (especially to the south of Detroit) was predicted as far back as Thursday. Now, go back to commenting on how Jim Price stinks, how the latest Circle 7 bimbo has nice sweater puppies, etc., and leave figuring out Mother Nature's antics to the experts.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:49 pm

That was also said in West Michigan as well with 2 plus inches of rain that didn't happen although in a dry pattern it's I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to rain.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 am

I’d rather that they predict some rain and it not happen than the opposite.

I’m sure the computer models they use indicated this was a likely weather event, so they all went with it. For those in the narrow band that did see heavy rain, this is a non-story. I saw the resultant coverage, and rain did occur, just not everywhere.

Since when is this a new occurrence? Weather is not an exact science, and neither is predicting it. There’s hardly anything epic about it.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:23 am

The only weather guarantee anyone can provide is that there will be weather. A prediction is an educated guess, but it’s not a guarantee of a specific outcome.

The meteorologist’s job is to provide a weather forecast that has a reasonable chance of accuracy. A television meteorologist’s job is to do the same and have some ability to provide that in front of a camera, as well as the basics, such as showing up to work. When a television or radio station promotes their weather forecast, they claim accuracy, but they don’t guarantee it. The only guarantee they can make is that someone will talk about the weather, and make a prediction.

However, this gives people something to comment on and complain about. That's been going on as long as weather has, so we’re upholding a long-standing tradition. Whether it’s a worthwhile endeavor is a matter of opinion, as we see.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic