Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CICO-32 in Windsor

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
fuzzpower

Re: CICO-32 in Windsor

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

I haven’t watched channel 32 since they dropped Saturday Night at the Movies. That was the only thing worth watching.

How does 102.3 get away with airing so much to the US? Their sales office is in Dearborn. Their programming is obviously catered to Arabs on this side of the border. It wouldn't surprise me if they even had studios over here.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:54 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am
I haven’t watched channel 32 since they dropped Saturday Night at the Movies. That was the only thing worth watching.

How does 102.3 get away with airing so much to the US? Their sales office is in Dearborn. Their programming is obviously catered to Arabs on this side of the border. It wouldn't surprise me if they even had studios over here.
You have to hand it to them, not only are they sucking on the gov'ts hind teet as being a multi cultural station but also profiting from ad revenue from their target audience in Dearborn.

Theyre smarter than Bell Media/89X/the River by makeing their proximity work...... :rollin

This multi culturalism here in Kanuckistan is the biggest money scam around. :barf

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 pm

windsor wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 pm
In the Buffalo/Niagara region I have noticed alot more CDN ad's on Buffalo tv/radio, even the Buff PBS station dubs itself as Buffalo/Toronto since alot of canadians donate to that PBS station.

Its always suprised me that the Det radio/tv didnt go after more revenue from this side of the river.I think the last time I heard a Windsor advertiser on a Det radio station was on 102.7 Z rock.

You get the occasional Caesar's Windsor ad but that's aimed at the Detroit area.
That's because Detroit is a much larger radio/TV market than Buffalo and thus advertising rates are more expensive which locks out many Windsor advertisers from buying time on Detroit stations.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:14 pm

WTVS should consider the same approach. They don't need PBS kids in HD. Flip it to 480i and take the main signal to 720p. Add about 4 subchannels that bring them revenue. Then they won't have to beg for money as much as they do.
I disagree.

Adding extra channels would largely cannibalize their existing channels, and programming costs overall would increase. They cannot add commercial subchannels, if that's what you are proposing. Their license only allows them to air educational programming.

Gerald1981!

Post by Gerald1981! » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:20 pm

When will CICO-32 return to virtual channel 32.1, even though they're on RF 19 now?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:34 am

Gerald1981! wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:20 pm
When will CICO-32 return to virtual channel 32.1, even though they're on RF 19 now?
Never.

They moved from channel 32 to channel 19 because WDIV will move to 32 in a few months.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Splouge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm
The CRTC is strict, I don't think that CBET (or any Canadian station for that matter) can target more than 20% of its advertising to non-Canadian areas. And all Canadian stations and cable channels (yes, they control cable TV over there!) have to air Canadian programming on 60% of their schedule, sounds to me like the CRTC is eerily close to being hyper-nationalist Nazis. Also, subchannels there are licensed separately from the xx.1, unless the subchannels are simulcasts of xx.1. I don't know why Canada switched to digital at all if they aren't even gonna let their stations take advantage of the best part about digital TV: the subchannels!
It is a shame they didn't want to go that far. Subchannels just seemed to be the last thing on their mind (if at all).
WTVS should add MHZ Worldview to 56.5 and an audio simulcast of WRCJ to 56.6
I wish WGTE in Toledo or WBGU in Bowling Green gave us MHZ Worldview too!
Splouge wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:49 am
Over in Canada, owning cable channels of a certain genre is first come first serve. The first Canadian cable network in the children's genre, Teletoon, is a category A service, meaning nobody can make a competing children's cable network. As a result, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Teletoon, and Disney Channel are all owned by the same company in Canada.
They really nailed that shut.
The only thing Canada takes advantage of with DTV is the HD quality and the electronic program guide, I could live without both, since I already know what times my shows are on, and most of them are on SD subchannels. Get TV on WHNE is SD and no EPG. Without subs, there's not a lot of shows to watch. Again, proving that Americans like me have it better than Canadians, I actually feel really soory (I couldn't resist!) for Canadians who can't afford cable and don't live near the border.
I do too. Their government cheated them out of the best.
The only station that's close to a diginet is CHCH-TV, an independent station with repeaters all over Ontario that airs classic shows.
I find it rather amusing CHCH also lets you watch them online (watching right now, they're simulcasting ABC's Nightline).
https://www.chch.com/live/

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:35 pm

Splouge wrote:
The CRTC is strict, I don't think that CBET (or any Canadian station for that matter) can target more than 20% of its advertising to non-Canadian areas. And all Canadian stations and cable channels (yes, they control cable TV over there!) have to air Canadian programming on 60% of their schedule, sounds to me like the CRTC is eerily close to being hyper-nationalist Nazis.
Nothing new -- such regulations existed for many years (the 1970s at the latest for Cancon; the 1980s for cable).
Splouge wrote:
Also, subchannels there are licensed separately from the xx.1, unless the subchannels are simulcasts of xx.1. I don't know why Canada switched to digital at all if they aren't even gonna let their stations take advantage of the best part about digital TV: the subchannels!
The thing about subchannels is utterly ridiculous. The CBC could have used subchannels to broadcast their English and French networks in every market, instead of separate transmitters, as well as invite provincial networks (such as TVO) to use one of the subchannels. This would have kept CBC, Radio-Canada, TVO and TFO available over the air in many markets of Ontario, after the 2012 shutdown of the CBC repeater network. But if there's one thing the CRTC loves, it's red tape.
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm
Splouge wrote:
The only station that's close to a diginet is CHCH-TV, an independent station with repeaters all over Ontario that airs classic shows.
I find it rather amusing CHCH also lets you watch them online (watching right now, they're simulcasting ABC's Nightline).
And without a VPN even, outside Canada.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:35 pm
Splouge wrote:
The CRTC is strict, I don't think that CBET (or any Canadian station for that matter) can target more than 20% of its advertising to non-Canadian areas. And all Canadian stations and cable channels (yes, they control cable TV over there!) have to air Canadian programming on 60% of their schedule, sounds to me like the CRTC is eerily close to being hyper-nationalist Nazis.
Nothing new -- such regulations existed for many years (the 1970s at the latest for Cancon; the 1980s for cable).
Splouge wrote:
Also, subchannels there are licensed separately from the xx.1, unless the subchannels are simulcasts of xx.1. I don't know why Canada switched to digital at all if they aren't even gonna let their stations take advantage of the best part about digital TV: the subchannels!
The thing about subchannels is utterly ridiculous. The CBC could have used subchannels to broadcast their English and French networks in every market, instead of separate transmitters, as well as invite provincial networks (such as TVO) to use one of the subchannels. This would have kept CBC, Radio-Canada, TVO and TFO available over the air in many markets of Ontario, after the 2012 shutdown of the CBC repeater network. But if there's one thing the CRTC loves, it's red tape.
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm
Splouge wrote:
And without a VPN even, outside Canada.
The CRTC is in bed with the cable and satellite industry and has been for years

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Noticed the WUDL-LD has moved to 35, but still can't get TVO on 19. I see it there about 20% signal, but no quality to pick it up and add it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:35 pm

None of the above.

It's the spectrum repack.

Once the spectrum auction was completed, the technical parameters of every TV transmitter north of the México/Guatemala border that kept their spectrum were loaded into a supercomputer.

The computer assigned CICO-32 to channel 19.

I've only seen CICO-32 (RF 19) once since it signed on.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Looks like WUDL-LD has moved all its stations to Channel 35 and TVO is coming in loud and clear on 19.1

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:54 pm

For the first time since they moved to RF 19, I just picked up CICO-32 on 19.1.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Apparently WUDL is keeping 19, making two of them. Very confusing for some tuners. Surprised the FCC didn’t force them to use 35 (or ask CICO to stick with 32).

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Canadian stations seem to not use fake channel numbers.
Also my Samsung TVs are showing WUDL-LD as 35.1-35.7

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic