All accepted registrations through August 15 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Local News Stations in Dayton To Cover Mass Shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Musicrewired

Re: Local News Stations in Dayton To Cover Mass Shooting

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 pm

What is the radius where a station considers it worthwhile to go out-of-state to a big news story? Dayton and Detroit share I-75, and not enough else to make this an obvious decision, regardless of the story.

I figure this is as much about bragging rights and some clips to use in promos as it was about it being necessary. “Hey Detroit, when tragedy struck in Dayton, (name of station) was on the scene with live reports. No matter where the news happens, you can count on (name of station) to get you the story.”

I wonder how many cities joined them, or from how far away El Paso attracted the visual media.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 am

What a bunch of whiny old ladies on this thread if WJBK or any other Detroit station didn’t cover the Dayton story you all would be bitching, time to go back to your knitting and have a cup of tea and watch your soap operas.

The Super Radio USA app Rocks! www.superradiousa.com . Dugan’s favorite channel Vintage Rock USA (Gee, I wonder why.)

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 pm

It wouldn’t matter to me if they didn’t cover the story. I just found it odd they were compelled to travel that distance, as if there weren’t enough stories to keep the news team busy in Detroit.

It seemed a bit opportunistic, given the amount of qualified media already at the scene. Wouldn’t covering the story from a Detroit perspective be preferable?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

Again, there is a difference between covering the story and actually sending people down there.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:05 pm
God forbid if something bad happens in Detroit I guess Dayton television will cover the story here in Detroit, It’s called reporters reporting the news are you sleeping under a rock, it’s been going on for years or you just couldn’t find a better topic to post.
I could see WHIO TV going up there, WDTN no way Nexstar is way too cheap to send a reporter up there and WKEF/WRGT maybe.

J-Ten

Post by J-Ten » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Must not have been enough shootings in Detroit that night

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic