Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mainstream media in this town is kissing the Ilitch family's asses again

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Mainstream media in this town is kissing the Ilitch family's asses again

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:53 am

Why are none (to the best of my knowledge) of the mainstream media outlets in this crappy town reporting on the law suit just filed by the ex-Tigers employee with Asperger's Syndrome who was the victim of former pitching coach Chris Bosio's racial and emotional harassment?

fuzzpower

Re: Mainstream media in this town is kissing the Ilitch family's asses again

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm

I don’t get the love for the Ilitch family. Sure, he won with the Red Wings in the past and has a pizza chain. The Tigers have done nothing for most of their ownership. Ilitch received all of this government money for his little downtown project which has been a colossal failure. The old man also in my mind intentionally let Tiger Stadium rot so he could get himself his little Ferris wheel taxpayer funded park.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:10 pm

MW, I just did a quick Google search and there doesn't seem to be any news since last summer on this. Are you wondering about why it wasn't reported then, or why there's been no follow up?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:39 pm

The lawsuit was filed this week. The employee is claiming wrongful termination, among other things.

Kudos to Tony Paul, who reported on it today for The Detroit News. His article was posted a short time ago.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:33 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm
I don’t get the love for the Ilitch family. Sure, he won with the Red Wings in the past and has a pizza chain. The Tigers have done nothing for most of their ownership. Ilitch received all of this government money for his little downtown project which has been a colossal failure. The old man also in my mind intentionally let Tiger Stadium rot so he could get himself his little Ferris wheel taxpayer funded park.
MIKE Illitch was great. He hired the right baseball people and gave them an open checkbook. It's not his fault the Tigers failed to win a World Series under his ownership, the baseball postseason is a minefield. The Tigers played their worst baseball of the entire season in the Series in both 2006 and 2012. 2013 was probably their actual best team since 1984, but the bullpen blew game 2 at Fenway with the chance to go back to Detroit up 2-0 on the Red Sox and that was that.

CHRIS Illitch is terrible. Clearly his main interest is the Wings and he's only keeping the Tigers to rake in profits until someone is willing to buy the team for hundreds of millions more than it is actually worth. Al Avila may have made some horrible moves as GM, but he's gotten the payroll so low that the Tigers are likely in the same boat as the Pittsburgh Pirates where the revenue from TV and suites guarantees them a profit literally without selling a single regular ticket.

I'm not sure about Mike having intentionally let Tiger Stadium rot. It was 1992 by the time he bought the team, and every park built around the same time as Tiger Stadium was already gone by then except Wrigley and Fenway. This is largely forgotten now, but those two parks were also badly beginning to show their age by the 90's. The Red Sox in fact had plans at the end of the 90's to tear Fenway down and replace it, but when their ownership changed they instead made massive renovations to Fenway. The Cubs likewise committed to major renovations at Wrigley not long afterward, and had to install nets under the upper deck for awhile because concrete was crumbling and falling.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Ilitch could have fixed Tiger Stadium, but refused. He wanted more taxpayer money. Ask anybody from about 30 on up, and most will tell you how much they prefer the old park.

Mike Ilitch didn’t care about the Tigers for years. Remember those 90s teams? It took being embarrassed in 2003 to start caring.

He signed the paychecks. He could have fired Dombrowski and Leyland, but refused. 2006 was more luck than anything. Remember, they were back in last place a couple of years later.

Other than pizza, Mike and his family were/are nothing but taxpayer leeches.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:58 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:11 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:40 pm
Other than pizza, Mike and his family were/are nothing but taxpayer leeches.
Pretty much.

Hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for the new stadium. Why can’t billionaires pay for their own projects?
becuase then they'd just be multi-millionaires?
:razz

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm

I don't understand why the politicians WHO GAVE the Illitches this sweetheart deal dont get the blame for this? Also how does Gores get a free pass from the media. Him moving the Pistons to LCA cost the taxpayers an extra 30 million dollars and unlike the Joe the Palace was state of the art. The Illitches should've been more upfront about this taking longer than they anticipated but I dont think they are the only ones that should get blamed. But people in this country enjoy blaming billionaires instead of the corrupt politicians.

Daenerys

Post by Daenerys » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:38 pm

rizzman87 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm
I don't understand why the politicians WHO GAVE the Illitches this sweetheart deal dont get the blame for this? Also how does Gores get a free pass from the media. Him moving the Pistons to LCA cost the taxpayers an extra 30 million dollars and unlike the Joe the Palace was state of the art. The Illitches should've been more upfront about this taking longer than they anticipated but I dont think they are the only ones that should get blamed. But people in this country enjoy blaming billionaires instead of the corrupt politicians.
Rashida Tlaib was fighting against this when she was a State Rep before the funding was approved. She sounded the alarm and all that she predicted is exactly what happened. Big shock, the Republican legislature approved a sweetheart deal for the billionaires.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 pm

The Illitches should've been more upfront about this taking longer than they anticipated but I dont think they are the only ones that should get blamed. But people in this country enjoy blaming billionaires instead of the corrupt politicians.
I blame all of the above!!!

The Ilitch Family + City of Detroit + Lansing = PERFECT ILLUSTRATION OF CRONY CAPITALISM >:

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:18 pm

Tlaib is nothing but a grandstander. Another example of mooching off the taxpayers. Don’t be shocked if she loses in the primary.

Agreed, the politicians and Gores are to blame as well. This topic was specifically about the Ilitch family, hence the direct references.

Daenerys

Post by Daenerys » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:43 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:18 pm
Tlaib is nothing but a grandstander. Another example of mooching off the taxpayers. Don’t be shocked if she loses in the primary.

Agreed, the politicians and Gores are to blame as well. This topic was specifically about the Ilitch family, hence the direct references.
Tlaib is a joke and a disgrace to the Democratic Party, and indeed will lose in the primary.
I love how she scares all the racist little white guys. :rollin The project isn't taking "longer than expected". Just like with Comerica, they never had any plans to put up any elaborate housing or restaurants. It was all about lining their pockets and taking money from the people who could least afford to give it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Racist? Not at all. I’m not a fan of far leftists, that’s all. She has done nothing in her political career but grandstand. Remember, she lost the special election. The papers speculated she won the full term primary because there were more candidates (6 instead of 4 if memory serves) thus splitting the vote.

I’ve talked to many in that district, and yes, some of the democrats, who are embarrassed she is their rep.

MW probably doesn’t want us to go too far off into politics in this topic.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:40 pm

MW probably doesn’t want us to go too far off into politics in this topic.
Apparently you haven't visited the cesspool also known as the Flint/Tri-Cities forum.

I agree about the Ilitch's. They have been given carte blanche because "they've done SO MUCH for Detroit," which is bullshit.

As for the racism angle, you can disagree with a person of another race without being a racist. That is something that this country needs to learn, and fast.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:30 am

Daenerys wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:38 pm
rizzman87 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Rashida Tlaib was fighting against this when she was a State Rep before the funding was approved. She sounded the alarm and all that she predicted is exactly what happened. Big shock, the Republican legislature approved a sweetheart deal for the billionaires.
Another uninformed liberal. You realize the Illitches are Democrats, right? They have given millions to campaigns like Tlaib.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic