Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JGP1954

Re: Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Yep, he substituted for King for years. Then, he inherited the job. Hail! The Mutual Broadcasting System! "The feeling is Mutual."

JGP1954

Re: Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Post by JGP1954 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Yep, I remember Bohannon briefly on 1270. But, it was ever so briefly. Also, does anybody remember that the only place King could get cleared on was AM1310? King was King of the World talk show-wise. He was on 50,000 waters all over the country. But, had a hard time clearing Detroit!

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 pm

WDTK should move to 910 should the opportunity ever arise.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm

If WDTK really wanted to be something, they would swap formats with WLQV. I don’t see it happening.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:58 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm
If WDTK really wanted to be something, they would swap formats with WLQV. I don’t see it happening.
It'll never happen. Christian talk/preaching is their #1 core format, and WLQV has the best AM signal.

WDTK could upgrade if Salem were to buy another AM signal (which recently happened in Washington DC by moving WWRC onto a somewhat better AM signal) but even then, they don't program conservative talk for ratings.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

format this

Post by format this » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm
Jeff Dugan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 pm
1130 or 1270 will not switch unless the stations are sold.

The only other station even trying talk is 910, and that’s barely.
910 is comedy radio.
That’s right, tough guy! Hoooooooo!

USA, USA, USA!!! Image

The wrestler’s name is Jim Duggan. Jeff Dugan is a fictional character from the movie “FM” from 1978. Great movie by the way.
One of a select few under Vinnie’s watch that were able to keep their real name. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Duggan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 am

WJR should be carrying Phil Valentine. He's in the Cumulus stable of talkers, and they recently renewed his contract. Listening to Guy Gordon get his ass handed to him by his callers is only going to be funny for so long. Get rid of the 7PM "infomercial dujour" which is nothing but a giant tune-out factor. Evenings at WJR were once a busy time. Now? You almost expect to see tumbleweeds blowing through the place. I am sure that slot gets top dollar, but come on. Is anyone here other than me old enough to remember SportsWrap?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 am
Is anyone here other than me old enough to remember SportsWrap?
Or the hour long newswheels at 6 and 11 or David Newmann (sp?).

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 am
WJR should be carrying Phil Valentine. He's in the Cumulus stable of talkers, and they recently renewed his contract. Listening to Guy Gordon get his ass handed to him by his callers is only going to be funny for so long. Get rid of the 7PM "infomercial dujour" which is nothing but a giant tune-out factor. Evenings at WJR were once a busy time. Now? You almost expect to see tumbleweeds blowing through the place. I am sure that slot gets top dollar, but come on. Is anyone here other than me old enough to remember SportsWrap?
When I was a kid, WJR was a staple in the car. I'd hear Paul W. Smith in the morning being driven to school and Sportswrap at night, or the Tigers and Wings, when I was off to practice. At 7 years old, I thought it was Sports Rap and didn't get the name.

cs15

Post by cs15 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 am

I listen to WJR most days to and from work. I like Paul W. Smith but lately I don't care for his interviews with different companies. Boring.
Guy Gordon in the afternoon seems to have good topics.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Levin hasn’t changed one bit of his “old man hyperventilating at a cloud” routine over the past decade. It’s old, tired and boring. It’s so predictable that you don’t even need to tune in, you can easily guess what he’ll say.

He’s also one of the few other top-tier hosts in the format, which does a lot to explain why WJR ultimately can’t be saved. Aging hosts and utter predictability.
Last edited by Myron Falwell on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm

For evenings, bring back the one-hour "WJR SportsWrap at 7pm. Followed by Warren Pierce, Hal Youngblood, or David Newman from 8p to 11p. Followed by the "WJR News Final" at 11pm. and end the evening with the 11:15 "WJR Sports Final" with Bob Page, Paul Carey, or Bob Reynolds. Now, that's great radio listening.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:17 am

Warren Pierce? No way. The guy is both dull and boring at the same time.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 am

JGP1954 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm
For evenings, bring back the one-hour "WJR SportsWrap at 7pm. Followed by Warren Pierce, Hal Youngblood, or David Newman from 8p to 11p. Followed by the "WJR News Final" at 11pm. and end the evening with the 11:15 "WJR Sports Final" with Bob Page, Paul Carey, or Bob Reynolds. Now, that's great radio listening.
Didn’t David Newman had to retire in 2001 after suffering a stroke?

I don’t know what they should put in on the evening, but it has to be someone that can compel viable demos to tune in without alienating the remaining audience. That’s an even more daunting task with 97.1 controlling the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons rights.

Plus there’s little chance that JR goes local in evenings any time soon, if ever again.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Myron Falwell wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 am
JGP1954 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm
Didn’t David Newman had to retire in 2001 after suffering a stroke?

I don’t know what they should put in on the evening, but it has to be someone that can compel viable demos to tune in without alienating the remaining audience. That’s an even more daunting task with 97.1 controlling the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons rights.

Plus there’s little chance that JR goes local in evenings any time soon, if ever again.

I was being a bit tongue and cheek with my post. Most of those people I cited are dead. However, they were past stellar locally-originated talent. I know Cumulus economics would never pay a talented, unique personality for the evening daypart. And, Yes, David Newman did suffer a stroke, and retired from broadcasting. I would like to hear how his life turned out, afterwards. He's a truly brilliant and talented man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic