Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Highlights:
- 98.7 The Breeze soars to a 4.8 share
- The other newcomer, 106.7 Fake Wheels, also had a nice book, finishing with a 4.3 share. (Spoiler alert - it won't last.)
- Mix 92.3 continues to kick total ass, with a 6.9 share. Will the new OM disrupt the momentum?
- WCSX continues to cruise along with ratings in the mid 6's
- WOMC is seeing some ratings recovery and is just about at a 6 share.

Lowlights:
- It was a bad book for Hip-Hop, as 97.9 WJLB and Hot 107.5 scored some of their worst ratings in memory
- 760 WJR scored its worst ratings EVER, according to radoinsight.com. It now is the lowest rated of Cumulus' trio of local stations.
- WWJ joined WJR in a ratings slide. The 5.4 share achieved by WWJ is its lowest mark in quite some time, but still more than 100% better than WJR's numbers.
- WNIC slid to a 5.9 share, likely at the hands of 98.7.
- AM 910 has 50,000 watts (theoretically) and a 0.2 share to show for its trouble! :lol

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

JLesinski

Re: Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Post by JLesinski » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:36 pm

As much as I hate WCSX and WRIF I am happy they are both still beating Fake Wheels.

We wanted to like you WLLZ and you had the golden opportunity to take Detroit rock radio by the horns but you gave us the same tired worn out safe songs. Fuck you. Its gonna take a lot to get me back.

fuzzpower

Re: Big changes in just released June ratings survey; WJR hits all-time record low

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 pm

At least WFDF’s 50000 watts draw a rating, unlike WDFN!

WDRQ is slowly ticking upward. I don’t listen to country music: anything different going on there?

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 pm

WLLZ 's phenominal rise goes to show that there was listeners not tuning to FM rock anymore before they came on the scene.Pretty big numbers for 3 rock stations on the same dial.

Wheelz has WRIF now in their sites and Riff can feel the exhaust fumes down their neck.89X is also helping the decline covertly...lol.

I think the time has come for WRIF to pick what theyre going to be.The next book might have them under the Wheelz.

iheart can thank the buzzboard for suggesting to bring back the Wheelz moniker months ago before they did. :blink

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 pm

What's only shown are the 6+ beauty pageant demo. I wouldn't be surprised to see WJR's internal ratings be even worse. Their older-skewing audience caught up with them.

Talk radio nationwide is in a very bad position right now, and it's not going to get any better.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 pm

About a decade ago, I saw a report that give interesting statistics regarding every major station in the market.

WJR's median listener age at the time was 62.

I'm guessing their A25-54 performance is likely somewhere in the 1.5 to 1.9 share range.

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm

WDVD's numbers don't look much better. Both of those Cumulus stations have hemorrhaged roughly 1.5 shares over the past year. In 96.3's case, it's a mostly voicetracked station in the wrong format. Top 40 is atrocious right now. The only true live daypart is the morning show and it feels like it is on autopilot.

In WJR's case, I think they're just stale. Paul W. Smith and Frank Beckmann in particular are not captivating listening and if you can't grab a listener early in the day, they don't come back later on. WJR's only ratings winner right now is Rush noon-3p. He goes in spurts and will probably get hot again, but right now he isn't giving them a 10 share like he was 10 years ago. Having a dial jammed with classic rock doesn't help JR either. Both talk radio and classic rock audiences are conservative politically. WLLZ going from 1.5 doing alternative to 4.5 in rock doesn't just pull from WRIF and CSX, it grabs audience from WWJ and WJR too.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm

RadioRat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm
WDVD's numbers don't look much better. Both of those Cumulus stations have hemorrhaged roughly 1.5 shares over the past year. In 96.3's case, it's a mostly voicetracked station in the wrong format. Top 40 is atrocious right now. The only true live daypart is the morning show and it feels like it is on autopilot.

In WJR's case, I think they're just stale. Paul W. Smith and Frank Beckmann in particular are not captivating listening and if you can't grab a listener early in the day, they don't come back later on. WJR's only ratings winner right now is Rush noon-3p. He goes in spurts and will probably get hot again, but right now he isn't giving them a 10 share like he was 10 years ago. Having a dial jammed with classic rock doesn't help JR either. Both talk radio and classic rock audiences are conservative politically. WLLZ going from 1.5 doing alternative to 4.5 in rock doesn't just pull from WRIF and CSX, it grabs audience from WWJ and WJR too.

With 96.3, what are they trying to be? The morning show used to be quite family-friendly; but now it has some trashy, fake segments “Deal Breakers” for example. The music mix doesn’t seem cohesive...they seem to be stuck on mid-to-late 1990s now (TLC, Backstreet Boys)...yucch.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm

As much as I respect Guy Gordon, I have a feeling his afternoon show at 760 WJR just isn't catching on and is doing a poor job of recycling audience from Rush Limbaugh's show.

I do not like at all the direction 96.3's morning show has taken of late.
WLLZ going from 1.5 doing alternative to 4.5 in rock doesn't just pull from WRIF and CSX, it grabs audience from WWJ and WJR too.
Interesting point, especially since resurrecting the "Wheels" brand is likely of greatest interest to listeners 50 & up. It just so happens that WWJ & WJR largely appeal to listeners over age 50.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 pm
About a decade ago, I saw a report that give interesting statistics regarding every major station in the market.

WJR's median listener age at the time was 62.

I'm guessing their A25-54 performance is likely somewhere in the 1.5 to 1.9 share range.
That sounds about right. The median age has to be well over 65 now.

Compounding matters is that WJR can't really get younger talent-wise without alienating the remaining audience, nevermind that younger generations are not want to tune into AM, and certainly not wanting to tune into talk radio. Gordon was never meant to develop a new audience, but to try to stave what had been bad ratings from Savage's daypart (as Cumulus finally gave up on him) and now that's clearly not working. But what else can they realistically do?

WJR's best days may be well behind them now.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 pm

106.7 Detroit's Wheels is the BEST of the 3 rock stations...Much better variety of Classic Rock than CSX or Riff...Lesinski, if you want "non-stale" rock, 89X is your station. Wheels is going to have an especially good month in August, with substantial Dream Cruise promos and tie-ins, and a strong presence at the Cruise itself. WHY would ANY radio fan prefer CSX's Dahmer and JT over LLZ's Doc and Casey??? :barf

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:37 am

So far everyone is talking about the AM stations falling. There are a lot of radios not having am built into them. Plus with talk radio- urban and general and Christian radio being on XM Sirius, it's not surprising how the AM numbers are down. Every single person that I know who is over 65, listens to CDs. That is going to be another Factor as well.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 am

Another problem with AM is the radios in some cars just aren’t very good these days. My 2014 model has constant interference when the engine or electrical system is running, especially on weaker signals (not so much WJR). I know there is a way to fix this, but most mechanics don’t seem to know how, because of the decline of AM radio. Even ten years ago, this would have been taken care of,

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:08 am

106.7 Detroit's Wheels is the BEST of the 3 rock stations...Much better variety of Classic Rock than CSX or Riff...Lesinski, if you want "non-stale" rock, 89X is your station. Wheels is going to have an especially good month in August, with substantial Dream Cruise promos and tie-ins, and a strong presence at the Cruise itself. WHY would ANY radio fan prefer CSX's Dahmer and JT over LLZ's Doc and Casey???
106.7 Fake Wheels has the smallest playlist between WRIF, WCSX and itself.

If you love hearing 80's butt rock, a few 70's classics, and overplayed hits from the 90's all mashed together (along with an unusually high dose of mid 90's era Metallica) - it's the station of choice.

You think Casey is a good air talent? Are you insane?!?!

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 am

WWJ tends to go as the seasons go. They get monster ratings in the winter when the weather is bad and traffic is bad and not so good ratings during the summer when those two things aren't happening

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic