All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ric Ocasek RIP

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Bobbert » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 am

Every classic rock station in the country should have a moment of silence for the late Ric Ocasek, the mastermind behind the first Cars album that helped establish the classic rock format in the late 1980s and still helps support it.

And of course, Eddie Money did his share too.



sfpcc
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by sfpcc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 pm

In the last week we lost Daniel Johnston, Eddie Money and Ric Ocasek. it's starting to look like 2016 again.



Honeyman
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Honeyman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Sorry, I gotta say it. I never could stand The Cars. And calling Ocasek a "great songwriter" like I have heard on many eulogies is absurd to me.

She's winding them down
On her clock machine
And she won't give up
'Cause she's seventeen

She's a frozen fire
She's my one desire
And I don't want to hold her down
Don't want to break her crown
When she says,
“Let’s Go”.

.....really?!? Great songwriting? A thrid grader could have written that.


That said...RIP Ric.



Chris1980
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

I preferred Benjamin Orr (sang lead on "Drive") myself, both as a songwriter and as a vocalist. They both had solo hits in 1986-87 and Ocasek's "Emotion in Motion" was pleasant enough, but Orr's "Stay the Night" is an underrated classic.

But yeah, 2019 is turning out to be another hell of a year for celebrity passings. Olivia Newton-John also has Stage IV cancer and Alex Trebek has had a setback and is back on chemo. And today we lost Cokie Roberts as well. Forget 2016, it's starting to feel like 2012 again.



joe60
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by joe60 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

List the hits you wrote in your songwriting career

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm
Sorry, I gotta say it. I never could stand The Cars. And calling Ocasek a "great songwriter" like I have heard on many eulogies is absurd to me.

She's winding them down
On her clock machine
And she won't give up
'Cause she's seventeen

She's a frozen fire
She's my one desire
And I don't want to hold her down
Don't want to break her crown
When she says,
“Let’s Go”.

.....really?!? Great songwriting? A thrid grader could have written that.


That said...RIP Ric.



fuzzpower
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Orr was the better singer and frontman, but he didn’t do much writing in his Cars days.

Never liked Drive in the least.



blizzard
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:51 am

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by blizzard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 pm




JLesinski
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by JLesinski » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Meh.



matt1
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by matt1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Ric's "Troublizing" (from 1997 on Columbia) is his best solo album. Produced by Billy Corgan, lead singer of The Smashing Pumpkins!! His last album 2005 "Nexterday" isn't bad either!!



Honeyman
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Honeyman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am

joe60 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
List the hits you wrote in your songwriting career


Really?!? That's your retort? Jeez, you got me...yeah Ocasek wrote better songs than me.

I understand the Cars had a big following and sold millions of records. My wife and I have a fight for the volume dial in the car (no pun intended) when a Cars song comes on the radio, she loved 'em too. I just think they were insipid lyrically.

let the good times roll
let them knock you around
let the good times roll
let them make you a clown
-------------------------------------
I don't mind you hanging out
And talking in your sleep
It doesn't matter where you've been
As long as it was deep, Yeah
-----------------------------------------
All I want is you tonight
I guess that dress does fit you tight, yeah
You know that look does make me shake
It almost looks too good to fake
---------------------------------------



ftballfan
Posts: 793
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by ftballfan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm
I preferred Benjamin Orr (sang lead on "Drive") myself, both as a songwriter and as a vocalist. They both had solo hits in 1986-87 and Ocasek's "Emotion in Motion" was pleasant enough, but Orr's "Stay the Night" is an underrated classic.

But yeah, 2019 is turning out to be another hell of a year for celebrity passings. Olivia Newton-John also has Stage IV cancer and Alex Trebek has had a setback and is back on chemo. And today we lost Cokie Roberts as well. Forget 2016, it's starting to feel like 2012 again.
2019 seemed lighter for the first half of the year than past years in regards to major celebrity deaths. However, I do feel one or both of ONJ and Trebek will survive long enough to see 2020



Sgt. Sackto
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm

I love 80s music. I find the Cars, however, annoying and unlistenable. Eddie Money I could listen to all day.



Realist
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Realist » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Sgt. Sackto wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm
I love 80s music. I find the Cars, however, annoying and unlistenable. Eddie Money I could listen to all day.
Exactly the opposite for me as I can’t change the station fast enough when Eddie Money comes on. Really burnt out on his music from radio overplay. Most Cars tunes I’ll listen to



matt1
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by matt1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Ric's first solo song & music video "Something To Grab For" (from 1982 "Beatitude"). Went to # 47 (Hot 100) & # 5 (Billboard's Mainstream Rock) in February of 1983. Model Marianne Gravette appears in the music video. Marianne was Playboy's Playmate Of The Year 1983. Marianne also appeared on the album cover of Ratt "Invasion Of Your Privacy" & the music video "Lay It Down" in the Summer of 1985. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9ZB98EfzY



Y M Ionhere
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Where the sun no longer shines

Re: Ric Ocasek RIP

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am
joe60 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
List the hits you wrote in your songwriting career


Really?!? That's your retort? Jeez, you got me...yeah Ocasek wrote better songs than me.

I understand the Cars had a big following and sold millions of records. My wife and I have a fight for the volume dial in the car (no pun intended) when a Cars song comes on the radio, she loved 'em too. I just think they were insipid lyrically.

let the good times roll
let them knock you around
let the good times roll
let them make you a clown
-------------------------------------
I don't mind you hanging out
And talking in your sleep
It doesn't matter where you've been
As long as it was deep, Yeah
-----------------------------------------
All I want is you tonight
I guess that dress does fit you tight, yeah
You know that look does make me shake
It almost looks too good to fake
---------------------------------------
I find that a whole lot of songwriters are pretty weak. Especially the pros who churn out stuff for other singers (ahem, Diane Warren). I had a cd from a ska-revival band called Save Ferris that I listened to only once and gave away because the songwriting was so basic that it ruined the whole experience. I never paid attention to most of the Cars lyrics, with a few exceptions. The music is catchy enough to district from them. But I think if you read other writers lyrics, they wont be much better.
Still better than the cliche-ridden, second grade level crap Taylor Swift writes. Easily the dumbest and most embarassing songwriting ever.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic