Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A little praise for 89x

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

A little praise for 89x

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:55 pm

I thought I would heap some praise on 89x. Why, you ask?

Ever since they've gone more the "urrrrrrrrgh my father didn't love me enough" rock music route (I call it "Three Finger Death Smack" rock), I haven't tuned in as much. But while flipping around last night, I caught the opening of "On A Plain" by Nirvana. Great classic deep cut from a classic album. Great choice in songs! Especially when we've heard the usual suspects like Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box, etc. ad nauseum, I really enjoyed it.

Frankly, I would love 89x to program more of that kind of stuff. Let WRIF handle the "Insecure Rock" market (even though they're now stuck in 1988). Dust off some old playlists from the early to mid 90s, see what might still work well, and play that. Since they don't seem to care much about numbers anymore, scale it back to an "Alternative Classics" type of format.

Not that I mind hearing Pantera on 89x from time to time ;)

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: A little praise for 89x

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:22 pm

They and every other rock station in America and Canada needs to completely discontinue all spins for "Elevate" by Papa Roach.

Easily the worst fucking new song I've heard on rock radio in the past ten years.

89X needs to find ten great songs from the vault to make up for every spin of that piece of shit Papa Roach song.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Mega Hertz - check out what Q106 is airing right now (at 7:15p in the evening on a Saturday).

What Q106 is doing makes WRIF and 89X's respective playlists look like music for little girls.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:22 pm

This show on Q106 could be syndicated through out Michigan...........its awesome so far.

I love the name..... :D

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:18 pm
Mega Hertz - check out what Q106 is airing right now (at 7:15p in the evening on a Saturday).

What Q106 is doing makes WRIF and 89X's respective playlists look like music for little girls.
Oh, I heard. I heard, my friend. As did my neighbors ;)

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 am

I signed up for the music test for Q106 and, I gotta tell ya, had I not been told afterward what each song and artist was, I'd have never known. I'm stuck when it comes to rock. New alternative rock is FAR too wimpy and active rock is far too samey-sounding to me. Same drum sounds, same over-compressed production, so I'm kinda stuck. The only thing that's caught my ear is GVF, and that's only because of the Zeppelin comparisons.

But yeah, I'll definitely take some Slayer. NP at all.

-TurkeyTop

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Those heavy tunes would never work on commercial radio as a viable format we all know that.

But.........it would sure be cool as an HD2 channel.

If i was WLLZ I would add this to my HD side and steal even more of WRIF's thunder.

Id name it Wounded Radio after the old Z Rock heavy music hour they used to have.

HD radio could take off it someone would add something worth listening to..........

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic