Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

OTA channels MIA

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JSP

OTA channels MIA

Post by JSP » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:38 am

Hello. This is my first post so forgive me if this has been discussed.

A couple weeks ago I lost channels 20-1, 20-2, 20-3
and now channels 20-1, 50-2, 50-3, 50-4 are not coming in either.

I did see a post below saying that channel 50 is testing 34-1 but what about the other sub channels? (50-2,-3,-4)
*sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology

I loved 50-4, we would watch the Fail Army videos alot
also I watched the crime shows aired on 20-3 alot

thanks for any insight, even if you could provide links to other posts I would appreciate it so I can learn more and educate myself.

szmigiel

Re: OTA channels MIA

Post by szmigiel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:55 am

You need to do a full rescan of your channels to pick up the ones that moved with the RePack. Don't know what kind of TV you have, but there should be a Menu item under Channels or Antenna that allows you to do a autoscan.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 am

Yeah, WMYD moved to UHF 31 (still appears as 20.1), and WKBD is UHF 34 (appearing as 50).

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

JSP

Post by JSP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks you, the rescan worked.

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Just curious...new digital vs old analog.....in Detroit area..rabbit ears vs outside antenna...I know digital signal..either yes or no,,where analog was snowy ….. how far do the local signals carry???

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm

in the analog era, 2, 4, 7 all covered out to Lansing, Flint, Toledo, and even London (with severe transitory interference for 2 as far away as London, Ontario). 20 and 50 covered out to Ann Arbor, Port Huron, Toledo and the inner suburbs... 62 covered only the inner suburbs and downriver communities until CBS bought it and increased the power to a similar coverage area to the other UHFs. 38 covered Port Huron well from its Mount Clemens transmitter site, but never reached Toledo and just barely covered Monroe. Channel 9 covered similar areas to 2, 4, and 7.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:46 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm
in the analog era, 2, 4, 7 all covered out to Lansing, Flint, Toledo, and even London (with severe transitory interference for 2 as far away as London, Ontario). 20 and 50 covered out to Ann Arbor, Port Huron, Toledo and the inner suburbs... 62 covered only the inner suburbs and downriver communities until CBS bought it and increased the power to a similar coverage area to the other UHFs. 38 covered Port Huron well from its Mount Clemens transmitter site, but never reached Toledo and just barely covered Monroe. Channel 9 covered similar areas to 2, 4, and 7.
Of course, back in the day, each of those channels would be guaranteed on Downriver antenna setups, and if the weather was good, you would also pick up 11, 13, 24 and 30 (not sure how far 36's analog signal covered north of Monroe).

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:46 pm

fairbankshockeypuck wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm
Just curious...new digital vs old analog.....in Detroit area..rabbit ears vs outside antenna...I know digital signal..either yes or no,,where analog was snowy ….. how far do the local signals carry???
If you want to use an indoor antenna, be sure to place the antenna in a window that faces the stations you intend to watch.
If your TV is not in a window that faces the TV stations, place the antenna in the window facing the stations, and run the cable under or over the basement/crawlspace/attic to the TV.

Better yet, put a distribution amplifier on the window antenna and feed the system to every room in the house.

Surprisingly, a leaf antenna or two-bay antenna will have nearly is much range on full-power UHF stations as an outdoor antenna, but will be more likely to have short "blackouts" from cars driving by or people walking in the room. On VHF-high, the range will be shorter than the UHFs, and the range of VHF-Low stations will be horrific.

If you can install an outdoor antenna, DO SO.

It will improve the range of VHF-high and low considerably and reduce if not eliminate dropouts.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:40 am

I was told if you do mount an antenna in the attic, you'll lose anywhere from 20 to 50% of the signal strength, depending on the materials your walls/roof are made of, which will also be a factor in reception. it's why most people just decide to mount an antenna on the roof or on an outdoor tower.

You also have to remember the wavelength of the various frequencies.

The wavelength for the VHF-Low TV band (54-88 MHz) is around 17 feet at Channel 2, decreasing to around 11 and a half feet by the time you reach Channel 6 and the FM band. The VHF High band (174-216 MHz) is around 5 and a half feet, again, decreasing logarithmically from channel 7 to 13.... and UHF TV band (channels 14-36, or 470-608 MHz) decreases from around 25 inches (or, just over 2 feet) to around 19 inches (just over 1 and a half feet).

http://otadtv.com/frequency/index.html has the full table if you want to check it out for yourself :D

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 am

I use a Xtreme Signal HDB91X in a Detroit suburb facing room, on a tripod mount with a 5ft pole. I cannot mount significant outdoor antennas, due to restrictions. The HDB91X pulls in great signal from that room, including a 42 mile shot over to WADL.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Question on the 'Xtreme Signal' ant. When it's aimed to get WADL can you still get chan. 9+32 out of Canada and the Toledo stations.
It looks like it may be too directional. I use an omni directional 15' up with a small amp to boost but the WADL is only an occasional get.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Well it's Monday evening (6-24-19) after 8:30 PM and no WJBK channels. And yes I did a re-scan and it's still not there but every other channel is.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 am

What part of the metro area are you in SixPlusOne? WJBK is always a strong signal for me in Shelby Twp about 15 miles away LOS from the tower. But it is a High-VHF signal and a lot of antenna don't do VHF very well.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 am

szmigiel wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 am
What part of the metro area are you in SixPlusOne? WJBK is always a strong signal for me in Shelby Twp....
I live in Commerce Township which is north of Walled Lake. I have an antenna on a rotor on a single story house. I usually leave it pointed generally to the southeast. It is very rare that I lose WJBK but I did last night as noted. Later I did another scan and it was back. I currently receive 43 channels OTA. The only ones I cannot receive are the low powers in metro Detroi with the exception of Channel 18 which I see has added a few more channels.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am

tapeisrolling wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 pm
Question on the 'Xtreme Signal' ant. When it's aimed to get WADL can you still get chan. 9+32 out of Canada and the Toledo stations.
It looks like it may be too directional. I use an omni directional 15' up with a small amp to boost but the WADL is only an occasional get.
From my location, aiming straight at WADL gives me a good signal on all of the other Detroit majors with the HDB91X, with the exception of WPXD. So to answer your question, it is a very directional antenna. I have a second antenna that aims at WPXD and gets it and repeat of some of the others. 32 was very iffy and is gone now that it switched to RF19. The HDB91X does have a high VHF element on it, but its mediocre. I only get WJBK reliably with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic