Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unique Radio Experiences

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Unique Radio Experiences

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm

- Thanksgiving Weekend, 1971. I was living in Indianapolis, and the local rock station WNAP spent the whole weekend playing what used to be called album cuts and are now called deep cuts. They called it the Free Mind Weekend. This was at the end of a year that produced the albums Who's Next, Sticky Fingers, Every Picture Tells a Story, Layla, Aqualung, Allman Brothers live album, Yes Album, Ram, Zeppelin IV, Surf's Up, L.A. Woman, Madman Across the Water,

- A work stoppage at CBC 2 in (I think) the early 2000s resulted in several days of no commercial 24/7 classical music, when I was at the peak of my interest in that music.

- The last broadcast of Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey from Baltimore in 1991. That alone would have made it unique, but the emotion of the moment blended with the emotion of the closing of Baltimore's Memorial Stadium. Both Paul and Ernie got caught up in the excitement of the parade of great Oriole players to different positions on the field.

- Lunchtime listening on the days when national tragedies occurred on a weekday morning—1/28/86 (Challenger disaster) and 9/11.

- Walking out of Tiger Stadium on a warm June night 25 years ago this week listening to the Tiger Plaza radio speakers broadcasting the news of O.J. Simpson's infamous low-speed chase. (I'm dreading the coverage of that anniversary)

- The strangest experience of all, in August 2003, when I was pulling off the highway on the way home from work, and the radio went completely dead. Was it the end of the world? No, just a widespread power outage.

JLesinski

Re: Unique Radio Experiences

Post by JLesinski » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm

I remember this one time I tuned in to 94.7 and they were playing all of these really great songs that I hadnt heard in forever!
Oh wait. That never happens.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 am

Hearing Laurie Anderson's O Superman on WRIF's Rock Cafe.

Listening to Marquette's WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) Classic Rock programming. It sounded like no AOR station I will ever hear again, (mostly 70's and 60's, very little 80's, more Van Morrison,Guess Who and Robin Trower than you will ever hear anywhere.) Basically it was the most uncorporate song list I have ever heard.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am

WIBM 94.1/1450 in Jackson back when they were oldies, would announce that name of a song to be played later that day. First caller to call in when hearing the song won $$$. One day the AM DJ (I forgot his name), upset that he never got to play the winning song, decided to play it 3 times. He was quickly removed from the show that morning and his co-host took over for the remainder of the shift. This happened back in the mid 80's.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am

Back in the 70's When at the time 103.1 from Lapeer was WTHM and at night after 7 PM they were AOR and called the station "The Ace of Rock" 103 FM in the evening from 7 until 5 the next morning and being from Warren at the time just to be able to receive that station was a cool experience.
Last edited by Deleted User 15050 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am

[quote=Bobbert post_id=575358 time=1560296518 user_id=14816]
- - The last broadcast of Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey from Baltimore in 1991. That alone would have made it unique, but the emotion of the moment blended with the emotion of the closing of Baltimore's Memorial Stadium. Both Paul and Ernie got caught up in the excitement of the parade of great Oriole players to different positions on the field. [/quote]

I was just outside Saint Ignace, waiting to get across the Mackinac Bridge, listening to the close of that broadcast. Since he apparently did not do the High School Football and Basketball Scoreboard on WJR much longer thereafter, if at all, it was strange to hear Paul Carey exclaim "and there's John Lowenstein!" as that scene played out, for one of his last broadcast utterances.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm

I was listening to WKAR-AM one afternoon before heading into work. I forgot to turn off the radio before I left my apartment.

When I got home after midnight, WWL from New Orleans was blasting in. There was nothing unusual about that, but Louisiana was getting blasted by a hurricane. Regular programming, The Charlie Douglas Road Gang, was tossed out the window in favor of weather and safety announcements, lists of shelters, places where food and water wer available, etc. I stayed up until sunrise listening.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 am
Hearing Laurie Anderson's O Superman on WRIF's Rock Cafe.

Listening to Marquette's WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) Classic Rock programming. It sounded like no AOR station I will ever hear again, (mostly 70's and 60's, very little 80's, more Van Morrison,Guess Who and Robin Trower than you will ever hear anywhere.) Basically it was the most uncorporate song list I have ever heard.

Listen to WIDL now. You can find the app in the Google store or listen at www.classicrocki91.com. 😉

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Back in the summer of 1980 listening to the transition of WBFG 98.7 Religious Radio to WLLZ Rock Radio 98.7 Detroit’s Wheels and the entire 3 months of commercial free programming, Now that was cool. 😎.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Following Mike Halloran's "Radios in Motion" from station to station in the 80s.

Listening to the launch of "The Cutting Edge of Rock" in September of 1990 on 88.7 where from 8Pm till Midnight it was a completely different radio station. Then watching it grow bigger and bigger till it took over the entire station.

The short lived late night Fast Forward show on WDET where Allen Oldham played and talked about House and Techno music before people even knew what a Rave was.
Last edited by szmigiel on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Mike Halloran was an awful lot of fun to listen to. He was a favorite of Fred Jacobs. Not many people can trash a studio with a fire extinguisher and become a program director on the other end of the country.

Martin Bandyke was great earlier in his career on Dimensions at WDET.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

GCMI

Post by GCMI » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I lived up north for a period in the early 80s. Driving late at night and picking up Art Bell to hear the latest conspiracy or alien sighting was always interesting. It was hard to turn off the radio.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Receiving KUHF out of Texas in July of 2010. One minute I hear 89x, then something fighting it. Suddenly, I hear classical music and think "yep. Another rock station bites the dust". But when I went into my music room, the display said KUHF, and even had an HD lock. I managed to get a short video, which is linked below. At the time, I was living at Clinton River and Schoenherr in Sterling Heights. To this day, I have never received such a faraway signal on FM on a standard radio receiver.

https://youtu.be/_1rwPLb-tOU

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

The summer of 1969 the first time I listened to Underground Rock or Progressive Rock (as it was called back then) on WABX 99.5 and WKNR 100.3 this was totally the best radio to hear in my youth I was only 14 years old and thought I discovered a new world of different music.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm
I was listening to WKAR-AM one afternoon before heading into work. I forgot to turn off the radio before I left my apartment.

When I got home after midnight, WWL from New Orleans was blasting in. There was nothing unusual about that, but Louisiana was getting blasted by a hurricane. Regular programming, The Charlie Douglas Road Gang, was tossed out the window in favor of weather and safety announcements, lists of shelters, places where food and water wer available, etc. I stayed up until sunrise listening.
I remember something similar when the earthquake hit San Francisco in 1989 during the World Series. I think either WJR or WWJ switched over to KGO out of San Francisco.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic