Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 am

Whatever genius is programming the station just changed the entire sound of the station to pretty much all RnB/Soul with an Elton John song mixed in.

It sounds like it should be 98.7 The Groove.

I actually have to turn it off for the first time since it started.

I didn't sign up for another Urban station.

Maybe this is why iHeart doesn't allow local programming, because of crap like this from local PDs.

They finally do something that everyone was excited over and then throw it away after 2 months. Smh
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:35 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 am
Whatever genius is programming the station just changed the entire sound of the station to pretty much all soft RnB/Soul with an Elton John song mixed in.

It sounds like it should be 98.7 The Groove.

I actually have to turn it off for the first time since it started.

I didn't sign up for another Urban station.

Maybe this is why iHeart doesn't allow local programming, because of crap like this from local PDs.

They finally do something that everyone was excited over and then throw it away after 2 months. Smh
To be honest a couple things...

1) Is this all you do all day every day? It seems like the station so much as inhales wrong and you have a post on it ASAP...

2) This station has sounded like that at times... song after song after song by a black artist... I actually rather liked that... do we really have a classic R&B station around here anyways?

Nobody was nearly as excited as you about it either... I’m not trying to be mean but they are clearly experimenting with it to see what works... just let it flow... the playlist changes every 2 weeks or so anyways... I was getting pretty tired of what they were playing the last go-round and anything new is welcomed... I can only here Dido and stuff like that so many times...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:26 am

Please don't talk to me that way. I do have a life. I come on here maybe twice a day and then at night I come on more since I have issues falling asleep and I have nothing else to kill the time. Plus, music is kinda my life. I would be on here a lot more If I could.
So please, don't be rude and judge people like that.

ON TOPIC NOW:

And I mean 3.5 hours of all RnB/soul with maybe 5 other genre songs (stale ones).. this is a major major playlist change.

They are playing a bunch more of my RnB requests on the other thread and even The Guess Who song i suggested, so I can't be 100% mad. I was just really enjoying the current playlist. The repetition didn't really even bug me because they were amazing songs that haven't played in years.
I don't have a problem with RnB, but when it's supposed to be a Soft AC station, I dont want to be forced to hear what I didn't sign up for. It's like turning on the River expecting Alternative but you have to sit through Hot AC with 5 alternative songs.
You get what I mean ?

Maybe they do plan on flipping after all to maybe Classic Soul?

I wanted it not to be true but this change is way too bizarre. And it happened one day after the ratings come out too. Way too coincidental if you ask me.

I wish they could have waited till we could actually get a full month of proper ratings before slashing the format up.

EDIT:
Also.. I've made like 2 threads out of the 10 something on the station so I don't think "nobody was as excited as me".

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:31 am

Are you saying The Breeze just blew a Giant FART, Like OMG , Like Gag me with a coke spoon.
Last edited by Deleted User 14803 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:47 am

Lol Kev. 😅

But ya, and now they have also replaced the few non RnB Artist's songs that are left with more upbeat songs too.
"Bennie and The Jets" is playing now.

Been listening for the past 6 hours. This can't even be considered Soft AC anymore.
It's a bizarre mess that sounds like it wants to be WNIC but at the same time wants to be WOMC.

Back to 98.1 The Breeze in S.F. for me and YouTube.

So much for 98.7
You can always count on corporate radio to ruin something that people actually like but have no problem with dragging on something nobody likes! They are pros at being stupid it seems.

Music is my life.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:47 am

Wow - I didn’t see that coming. Are they trying to be like 94.7 The Wave now?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

You're overly dramatic, stopnswop.

Did you expect the station to keep exactly the same playlist for eternity?

My guess is the market for Cher, Michael Bolton and Celine Dion is tiny.

Nielsen subscribers see weekly ratings data by demographic, not just the full four weeks lumped together. My guess is 98.7's numbers weren't impressing the suits.

Better to make adjustments now, when 100.3's seasonal influx is departing and settling back into normal listening habits. A lot of people might be finding 98.7 for the first time.

I suggested back in November that a rhythm-infused soft AC would be preferable to a waspy soft AC. I hope the category/rotation adjustment observed this morning lasts! :)

Let's not forget that a waspy soft AC was attempted in Windsor about four or five years ago and failed miserably. Both Windsor and Detroit are filled with middle class, blue collar audiences. Detroit also has a substantial African American audience.

Entercom should take the same demographical strategy that V98.7 employed so successfully for many years.

option1

Post by option1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am

Stopnswap, I hate to break the news to you, but Bennie and the Jets was one of the biggest songs on RnB radio at the time of its release. Elton even performed it on soul train.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you heard more songs by white artists that crossed over. This ain’t San Francisco dude. It’s DEEEEEtroit.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:30 am

They likely did a music test of some kind, and the rhythmic songs tested with the demo they want as P1's.
Stop's passion is commendable, but stations don't make programming decisions based on radio forum chatter.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I have not heard of a local PD yet for The Breeze. I believe it's corporate and maybe Slacker just working the computer at this point if he's still in the building. Benny and the Jets by Elton John was a big Detroit hit - I believe it broke here first... if memory serves WJLB was playing the album cut and Rosalie Trombley at CKLW picked up on it and they started playing it forcing the single release.

Doubtful there's any research available from V98.7, everyone's gone from then, and Steve Striker, who may have known some stuff from back then - he also kept the HD2 station rolling - died a few months ago.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Seems like there’s more overlap with WOMC now, which is odd. Certainly the ‘oh wow!’ songs have been eliminated.

I agree with MW - regardless of whether you enjoyed The Breeze 1.0, the current format does seem to cover a more desired demo.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Your telling me that all those playlists that Stopnswop put together are useless now, Jesus Now What?
Back to the drawing board time for some new playlist, come on people throw some R&B in this time, I don’t want this to happen again 😆 😝 😂.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Been listening.... Don't care for it that much. No more "love songs".... I swear to God what the bloody hell!?!? It sound much different now! I'll listen to 106.1 the breeze from Philly. Such a shame they gave it a whopping 2 months as soft AC.
Not to contradict myself but they are playing Billy Ocean Caribbean Queen! I love this song. I'm sure eventually they will Rebrand this radio station to a different name. I don't see the tagline soft and relaxing favorites at work will last with this current playlist.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:46 pm

I’ve been saying this and I’m not the only one that it would be a different station after it’s Grand Entrance over 6 weeks ago, I have worked in stations in my 22 years of radio that did format changes and none sounded the same 2 or 3 months after the change, Is it still a Soft or Lite station? of coarse it is, will it do good in the ratings? Maybe better with the R&B add ons, we will see, if not expect more format tweeks. Also remember Entercom will sell ads as combos “The Breeze 98.7”and “WOMC 104.3” businesses love to get a two for one deal and it will work out for the advertisers and Entercom.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm

It gave me a chance to try out WNIC and they have really improved their sound!
Still no 60s or 70s, but I'll take it over the Breeze 2.0

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic