All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
deadend

Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by deadend » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Loco 4 has been my main news station as long as I can remember. I was watching at 5 today and they had ol "Helptthh metthhh Hanktthhh" reporting from Flint on the water crisis.
This guy was hurting my ears with his horrible lisp. Every word ends with a "ssss", like air being let out of a tire or the "thhhhhhh" sound accompanied by his odd head movements and lip smacks.

I can NOT stand this guy! I didn't mind him much when he was an occasional fluff news story reporter or buried on weekend mornings but Loco 4 keeps shoving him and his horrible speech impediment and bad reporting skills in our faces. His speech takes away from what he's reporting, which is exactly what you don't want from a reporter. I can't get to the remote fast enough when he comes on, and I think it's a joke he got the consumer awareness reporting job. It should've went to someone like Karen drew or Lauren podell. It's a damn shame.

Mentioned frequently by people who know not of this board, or broadcasting, is they can't stand the guy due to his over exaggerated hand gestures, odd head nods and lisp. They say they can't watch and change channels because it's too much.

Just venting, because that's what this board is for.

craig11152

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:00 pm

Personally I find "his horrible speech impediment" to be very minor. I hardly even notice it.

testing...testing...1...2...3...4

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm

craig11152 wrote:Personally I find "his horrible speech impediment" to be very minor. I hardly even notice it.
If you have high frequency issues it will less noticeable. Try this...
http://www.starkey.com/online-hearing-test

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 pm

deadend wrote:Loco 4 has been my main news station as long as I can remember. I was watching at 5 today and they had ol "Helptthh metthhh Hanktthhh" reporting from Flint on the water crisis.
This guy was hurting my ears with his horrible lisp. Every word ends with a "ssss", like air being let out of a tire or the "thhhhhhh" sound accompanied by his odd head movements and lip smacks.

I can NOT stand this guy! I didn't mind him much when he was an occasional fluff news story reporter or buried on weekend mornings but Loco 4 keeps shoving him and his horrible speech impediment and bad reporting skills in our faces. His speech takes away from what he's reporting, which is exactly what you don't want from a reporter. I can't get to the remote fast enough when he comes on, and I think it's a joke he got the consumer awareness reporting job. It should've went to someone like Karen drew or Lauren podell. It's a damn shame.

Mentioned frequently by people who know not of this board, or broadcasting, is they can't stand the guy due to his over exaggerated hand gestures, odd head nods and lisp. They say they can't watch and change channels because it's too much.

Just venting, because that's what this board is for.
4's ND has made some questionable moves the last couple years and the ratings reflect that... They've had significant losses...

dm00n

Post by dm00n » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 am

I think his speech has improved quite a bit since he first turned up on the air here, but maybe I've just gotten older and lost higher frequency hearing as posted above. In any case, I think branding Flint coverage as "Help Me Hank" as if it is one of those consumer stories is silly. I also think it is a bit odd that I heard a lot in my community about the Art Van water drive and had several neighbors collecting stuff to take there, but on TV it was a Help Me Hank water drive with drop off locations at Art Van.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 am

He was definitely very hard to listen to back in the early 2000s when he was at WNEM. We rarely watch 4, so I haven't seen him much the last several years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 am

In any case, I think branding Flint coverage as "Help Me Hank" as if it is one of those consumer stories is silly.
Agreed.

Memo to WGRD: You need to sound a LOT more like your phenomenal sister station in Davenport, IA.

I-Rock 93.5 f*cking rules!!! https://irock935.com/playlist/

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 am

audiophile wrote:
craig11152 wrote:Personally I find "his horrible speech impediment" to be very minor. I hardly even notice it.
If you have high frequency issues it will less noticeable. Try this...
http://www.starkey.com/online-hearing-test

Thanks. I tried and I seem to be normal. I'm not sure what the correlation is between stuttering and high frequency, enlighten me.
Perhaps you are confusing me having a hearing loss with somebody else unable to accept the imperfections all humans have.

edit: maybe I don't notice because I simply choose not to dwell on it. I can understand what the guy says perfectly. So hearing loss has nothing to do with it. I don't have a problem, the problem is people who dwell on and focus on the faults in people to the point they cannot see anything else.

testing...testing...1...2...3...4

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 am

I was disappointed the online test didn't go above 4000hz, but most of the lisp and 's' problems are audible in the 5-6+ kHz region.

It has to do with tongue and teeth positioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrVgZJM6nA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8cb09B5Qg

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:25 am

I think there are two issues with Hank. We're a major market and should have on-air talent that doesn't have a speech impediment. Looking at the broadcast agent website's there is ton of people that can do the job. The people hired by WXYZ are up to snuff. Second his stories are very week. Once in a while he helps a single family; that normally was dealt with by Call for Action.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:02 pm

LouPerry wrote:I think there are two issues with Hank. We're a major market and should have on-air talent that doesn't have a speech impediment. Looking at the broadcast agent website's there is ton of people that can do the job. The people hired by WXYZ are up to snuff. Second his stories are very week. Once in a while he helps a single family; that normally was dealt with by Call for Action.
Agree, and will ADD that his MANNERISMS and word STRESSES are very 'GMA' like.

Speaking of 'like', if he'd only add the overuse of that word, his presentation would complete the image of a teenage girl.

Before the discussion diverges again to where it always does, I'm sure he is a wonderful person, takes in and nurses back to health injured cats and dogs, gives of his time to charities and the needy, is a friend to all, an elder in his church, etc. Given his time in the industry and the people he has dealt with over the years, I'm certain I would thoroughly enjoy spending time with him and talking.

I believe all we are stating here is that his 'features' mentioned here take away from the news items he is delivering.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 pm

A lot of you on this board find fault with me finding fault, yet on this thread it's solid negativity!
You go, Hank!!! You're doing a great job. Pay no attention to the jerks on here who say they don't like the way you talk. I don't see them up tight about Connie Chung, Tom Brokaw, Barbara Walters, or any other broadcasters with speech differentiations who made it to the news networks. Stand proud and keep giving the rip off artists a run for their ill-gotten money.

mtdman

Post by mtdman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:56 pm

I like Hank Winchester.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:17 pm

screen glare wrote:A lot of you on this board find fault with me finding fault, yet on this thread it's solid negativity!
You go, Hank!!! You're doing a great job. Pay no attention to the jerks on here who say they don't like the way you talk. I don't see them up tight about Connie Chung, Tom Brokaw, Barbara Walters, or any other broadcasters with speech differentiations who made it to the news networks. Stand proud and keep giving the rip off artists a run for their ill-gotten money.
You just play opposite day 24/7...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Wrong NS. But you're usually wrong. Or inconsequential.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic