All accepted registrations through August 15 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Morels / Michigan Out Of Doors

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Getoffmylawn

Re: Morels / Michigan Out Of Doors

Post by Getoffmylawn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm
Sweet! A good friend of mine retired and started a shiitake mushroom farm. Completely fascinating, one weekend every spring he takes 24 inch Maple logs and dips them in shiitake spores. If you help him you get some.

Have you gone through the state certification process? I believe they have two levels, one for identification and one for commercial selling.
It's the same class for both. The only difference is that if you want to sell them, you must take (and obviously pass) the test they offer at the end of the session. Most people who attend do wind up taking the test, but at the class they held in March, I'd say about 20% - 30% were just there for fun.

The class is very interesting, even for the casual mushroom enthusiast. It is jointly presented by the Michigan Dept. of Agriculture and Midwest American Mycological Information. In addition to the information provided, they also cook up some samples of some of the more exotic mushrooms they have found. I don't believe that there are any more sessions scheduled for this year, but anyone interested can check back at http://www.midwestmycology.org/Workshops/Workshops.html.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic