Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMYD To Host Detroit’s First ATSC 3.0 Signal

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

Re: WMYD To Host Detroit’s First ATSC 3.0 Signal

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:55 pm

YpsiGuy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Tman wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 am
Unlike the current standard, ATSC 3.0 makes use of both over-the-air signals and your in-home broadband to deliver an experience closer to cable or satellite. I don't see the big deal about ATSC 3.0 . I have a better picture now with the current standard then I ever recieved from Comcast .
Just curious what you see as a difference in the picture between the OTA signal and the Comcast signal?
Comcrap is compressing the living snot outta their TV channels. Their goal is to become a residential/business internet provider and cease to be a cable TV company. Their TV side shows it.
Unless something has changed in the last couple years, their legal agreement with the broadcast station is to carry their signal bit-for-bit. The same bits that are broadcast OTA would be the same ones that get sent through the Comcast network. There is no compression or re-encoding going on.

However, since they have a direct fiber link to most of the broadcast stations, they could actually carry a BETTER signal than what is broadcast (but they don't). They do actually carry a different signal though, and that is due to commercial insertions. There's a different set of commercials that are aired on the Comcast-carried version than the version that's broadcast OTA. If the STATION elected to do something different to the signal they send to Comcast, that's their prerogative, but it would not be in their best interest to send any kind of degraded signal, as that is the mechanism over half of their viewers see their product.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm

My guess is cable boxes do not always render the incoming signal purely & cleanly, and let's face it, HDMI cables and imperfect HDMI jacks can be culprits of signal degradation, too.

When I replaced an increasingly glitchy HDMI cable a couple years back, the new cable delivered a noticeably cleaner & crisper picture.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Deleted User 15003 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am
For other than test purposes why broadcast it if no one has a reciever until Christmas 2020 at which time they will be available .
Someone suggested that to Edwin Howard Armsrong. He apparently f'd up to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Howard_Armstrong

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic