Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MrTaterSalad

Re: Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 am

Will the Ann Arbor cluster be sold with Detroit or is Cume-less planning to hold onto those stations?

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:18 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 pm
I appreciate the response but I have no clue who those guys are.
I was hoping for a more straight forward answer that didn't involve research and perhaps "reading between the lines".
Those were two prominent conservative talk show hosts - both highly rated - that got pilloried by their audience for being critical of Trump. Charlie Sykes retired in late 2017 from his number #1 show at WTMJ/620 Milwaukee because of the constant attacks and threats directed at him, while Erick Erickson has slowly had to publicly walk back his criticisms and toe the party line on his WSB/750 Atlanta show.

Frank Beckman and/or Paul W. can't afford to be critical of Trump because the risks to their careers are not worth it, especially when the audience is getting exceedingly older and older.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 am
Will the Ann Arbor cluster be sold with Detroit or is Cume-less planning to hold onto those stations?
Cumulus is unloading most of their top 20 markets, where they have small and/or underperforming clusters in comparison to the competition. Radio is now dictated by economy of scale, and iHeart or Entercom dominate the biggest markets like NYC, LA, San Francisco and DC. Detroit also counts, as their three stations are unable to match up with iHeart, Entercom and Beasely (Radio One also got the hint and left Detroit for the same exact reason).

Smaller markets like Ann Arbor and Toledo will not be sold, but in the case of 106.5 Toledo, that signal will be unloaded (if it is) after this round of divestitures take place.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 am

This is probably why the Ann Arbor stations have not moved their operations into the Detroit area offices. With the main studio rule no longer in effect, they could.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 am
This is probably why the Ann Arbor stations have not moved their operations into the Detroit area offices. With the main studio rule no longer in effect, they could.
Yup.

It’s pretty clear that they are looking to toss KABC in LA and WMAL/WSBN in Washington DC next. Who in the hell would want KABC is another matter, that station is a disaster area with no ratings and a terrible signal that can't cover the entire LA metro (and that was before Cumulus sold off the transmitter tower/studios for some good pocket change).

One other thing is that this round of major market divestments are effectively breaking up the smoldering remains of ABC Radio, not just the legacy ABC talk stations. That group in general has been a curse on them and killed off Citadel.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 am

I predict if Entercom gets 93.1 it will simulcast WWJ there's money to be made with that.
EMF gets 93.1 becomes a k love full transmitter the translators get shut down
Beasley gets all 3 and simulcasts WJR on 93.1

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 am

Beasley cannot get all three anymore. Remember, they have entered into an agreement to purchase WDMK. That means they can only acquire one more FM.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am

If Cumulus is selling their stations how do the Lions and MSU Football/Basketball broadcast rights work out? Would those be sold along with one or more of the stations?

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 am

If Cumulus continues their divestments like they've done in NYC, SF, Atlanta, DC and LA, all three will be sold piecemeal. That makes it a bit easier if you're Beasley or Entercom and only want one of the two FMs.

WJR is not going to be easy to sell. Cumulus got lucky that a grocery store magnate in New York City was willing to take WABC off of their hands, but WABC was in much worse shape - both in ratings and revenue - than WJR is. Still, outside of iHeart, who'd really want ol' 760?

As for their play-by-play packages, they'd carry over to the succeeding owner.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:51 am

If WJR were sold to Entercom and 93.1 and 96.3 were sold elsewhere could the Lions end up back on the Ticket defacto through the sale or would the team have the right to block that?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm

I would guess the broadcasting rights are with a specific station, not an ownership group. Whether there is some sort of escape clause if certain events occur, I don’t know.

Is WJR making any money by itself?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Yes

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Myron Falwell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 am
Still, outside of iHeart, who'd really want ol' 760?
I'll take that sumbitch. I've still got that mountain of Pepsi bottles and cans in the garage...

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:41 pm

My guess is WJR is generating about $2 million in broadcast cash flow a year...maybe $2.5 million. The station is probably worth $12 million to $18 million. (I think I estimated the value at $15M to $20M a month back. I've reconsidered.)

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Yes. They broker out a good part of the weekends, plus the legacy hosts and the Lions/MSU are not (or should not be) money losers.

(By comparison, WABC had LOTS of revenue issues. Even when they had modest ratings in the 1990s, their billing was very weak. Estimates from other boards suggest that WABC had a cash flow last year of $1.5M to $2M from a gross revenue of $8M.)

If WJR wasn't making money, their local lineup would already have been decimated like WLS 890 was last year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic