Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

Re: WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Post by sfpcc » Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm

This might be kind of a tangent but I got a question. One deep cut WCSX and other AOR stations used to play is Pat Travers Boom Boom Out Go The Lights, (I guess it's his most noted song.) I haven't heard it in a long time. There's a part of me thinking it's because it's kind of a polliticaly incorrect song and this is the No Means No era. I could be wrong though.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Speaking of Pat Travers, The song "New Age Music" (from 1981) hasn't been played in a long time as well as "Killer" (from 1984). Pat does a mean remake version of Robin Trower's "Day Of The Eagle" from a blues CD that I have!!!

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Another great track by Pat Travers is "Snortin Whisky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9tgeaD ... 6oOquwU49e

Also hope to hear the new WLLZ play in the deep cuts segment Rainbow's --Power...........this song was a staple on the playlist of the old Wheelz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1yeGlk_TJY

Uncle Ted's " Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTVDHnwlz5k

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:35 pm

There are 4 Pat Travers albums that are NOT on itunes "Heat In The Street" (1978), "Radio Active" (1981), "Black Pearl" (1982) & "Hot Shot" (1984) but the rest of his catalog are there!! The remake of Robin Trower's "Day Of The Eagle" is on "P.T. Power Trio" (Vol. 1) (from 2003).

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Pat Travers has more regional appeal, especially on the east coast. In the Midwest, not as much.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Pat Travers was played a ton on the west coast as well, Not really that regional

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Pat Travers was played a ton on the west coast as well, Not really that regional
[/quote]

He's from Toronto so I can imagine he gets a lot of Cancom play as well.

On another tangent does Joni Mitchell or Neil Young count as Cancom?

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:15 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 pm
He's from Toronto so I can imagine he gets a lot of Cancom play as well.

On another tangent does Joni Mitchell or Neil Young count as Cancom?
[/quote]

YES! They do.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue May 07, 2019 3:12 am

Of course they do. Joni Mitchell is from Saskatoon and Neil Young from Toronto (even though he has been based in LA for decades). CKWW plays their fair share of both for that reason.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue May 07, 2019 6:07 am

What would make Csx better......?

Ditch Dahmer.

wLLz is doing okay... the tweaking is continuing.....

Not sure D&M Podcasts are needed.... anywhere.

Gimme my music on Saturday morning ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:52 am

Pat Travers NOT in the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame yet.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Speaking of Canadian artists, about a month ago, I got WIOT to play the opening two parts of Rush's "2112" for lunch. Today, I tune in to 103.9 The Fox, and they played it as a lunch request. Afterwards, I flip over to WHMI, and they are playing a deep Loverboy song (The Kid Is Hot Tonight). Not really a massive balls-out rocker, but a change nonetheless. More and more, I'm turning to small and medium market classic rock stations around here, because I'm just so DONE with the same ol' same ol'. These were listener requests, so SOMEBODY wanted to hear them. A deviation from the sacred and hallowed "playlist". And now they are my top choices for classic rock. WMMQ, WRSR and Wheels, because they at least are attempting to open it up a little bit...until some slick consultant shuts it down.

Kudos to WIOT, WRSR, WLLZ, WMMQ and, to a smaller degree, WHMI for mixing it up a LITTLE bit, or at least trying to.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue May 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Was in the Detroit area on Sunday and listened to WLLZ. Yes, I know it’s a corporate playlist but they’re not bad as I’m used to listening to Classic Rewind on SiriusXM. They mix in the start of the grunge era, the end of 70’s AOR and harder rock songs. They need to add Korn, Tool, RATM, etc. though

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 pm

matt1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:52 am
Pat Travers NOT in the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame yet.
Pat Travers has lived in Orlando for years. I would occasionally see him at WHTQ, when Neil Mirsky was PD there. His music was always far more popular in places like Philly and NYC. He sang lead on "Get the Funk Out" for Extreme, which received a lot of play on SMN's Z-Rock back in the day. You can believe me, or our aging radio station phone groupie from Shelby Township. I couldn't care LESS. :)

On the good side, I certainly do agree, he deserves to be in the CMHOF, even as a U.S. citizen.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 am

Speaking of Loverboy, they don't play "Hot Girls In Love" or "Queen Of The Broken Hearts" (both songs from 1983 "Keep It Up") on radio stations anymore. Back in early 1983, the late radio show host Bob Coburn of "Rockline" had Mike Reno & Paul Dean of Loverboy BUT they could NOT think of an album title for their 3rd album!! So "Keep It Up" was the title. Problem was it wasn't very good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic