Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Re: WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:08 am

WCSX will be under a top 10 position in the summer and WLLZ in the top 10.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 11:24 am

Let's not get too crazy just yet. They're playing some album cuts, not giving away a million dollars cash. This isn't 1980; there won't be a "meteoric rise" like there was back then. Remember, nine years ago, Doug FM was kicking the shit out of WCSX. They tightened the playlist and the numbers shot back up. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.

I don't think we'll be hearing CHR or Hip-Hop on 94.7 anytime soon.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 am

BTW Chuck, that's a pretty (good) music sweep in your signature line today. Burnt on the "Slow Ride", but switch it out with "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" and my TSL would be start to finish.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Fri May 03, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm

“I Just Wanna Make Love to You” is my fav Foghat tune and you know I almost did put it in the Davies Classic Rewind today, It will be in there in the future, I’m trying to get all my playlist together, I’m in the middle of a project currently for a station out in Oregon that entails Vintage Classic Rock(1965-1974) but it’s going to be on an AM Station in the Eugene, Oregon area. But that’s all I can say currently.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:24 am
Let's not get too crazy just yet. They're playing some album cuts, not giving away a million dollars cash. This isn't 1980; there won't be a "meteoric rise" like there was back then. Remember, nine years ago, Doug FM was kicking the shit out of WCSX. They tightened the playlist and the numbers shot back up. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.

You never know Beasley is known to screw up some great Stations around the country, Look at what’s going on with WBOS 92.9 in Boston they have done 3 Format changes since Beasley has owned them, Look at how bad 105.1 is here in Detroit, So CHR for 94.7 isn’t that much of a stretch.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Air talent is a wash between the two stations, although 94.7 definitely has the most annoying air "talent" of the bunch (Dahmer).

Few people under age 50 are enthused about WLLZ. It certainly has the potential to crack a 4 share, but I cannot see the station pulling ahead of WCSX in 6+ or in A25-54.

Stations that lack personality driven morning shows ALWAYS fare mediocre to poor in that daypart. This will prove to be a bit of a burden on 106.7's overall numbers.

There are certainly individual dayparts where 106.7 can hold its own against 94.7, though.

Here's the thing, iFart has a tendency to grow very lazy with time when it comes to alt, rock or classic rock playlist selection. I predict 106.7 FAKE WHEELS will sound stale as hell 12 months from now.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:

When Doug-FM was beating CSX, Steve Kosbau was programming the station. That was pre-Cumulus.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Air talent is a wash between the two stations, although 94.7 definitely has the most annoying air "talent" of the bunch (Dahmer).

Few people under age 50 are enthused about WLLZ. It certainly has the potential to crack a 4 share, but I cannot see the station pulling ahead of WCSX in 6+ or in A25-54.

Stations that lack personality driven morning shows ALWAYS fare mediocre to poor in that daypart. This will prove to be a bit of a burden on 106.7's overall numbers.

There are certainly individual dayparts where 106.7 can hold its own against 94.7, though.

Here's the thing, iFart has a tendency to grow very lazy with time when it comes to alt, rock or classic rock playlist selection. I predict 106.7 FAKE WHEELS will sound stale as hell 12 months from now.
I can't see Podell allowing that to happen. You are probably not aware that Podell actually consults several rock stations across the country. I find it hard to believe that IHR came up with this "Wheels" idea on their own. Podell probably saw that Nash was a sinking ship, thinking Beasley will soon be taking over, and pitched the Wheels idea to IHR. Just a guess. Some of us get tired of all the negativity on this board.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 10:22 pm

I get tired of all the crappy programming on the FM dial. All one has to do is look at the track record of 106.7 and 101.3 (in GR) over the past decade to realize my prediction in my prior post has merit.

106.7 The D started strong but became a victim of a weak PD and a weak morning drive daypart. They could've hired Drew & Mike but passed. They could've hired Ken Calvert but passed. They could've hired Dave and Chuck but passed. Nasally Alan Cox reading liners from Cleveland is what we got. Now, we get Bill McAllister talking for three minutes an hour. I'm optimistic that will change eventually.

That said, I seriously hope you are proven correct. Podell needs to be given the keys if he hasn't already. Interesting theory, btw. You might be on to something. Strategically, resurrecting the WLLZ / Wheels brand was a great move. Hiring Podell and Trudi was a great idea. Would like to see a couple more strong local names added to the roster. They also need to change that ugly logo to something that looks more like a classic WLLZ logo.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

When Doug-FM was beating CSX, Steve Kosbau was programming the station. That was pre-Cumulus.
Oh, I know. I was there. Those were the days of John Gallagher and the "penis enhancement" spots in afternoon drive.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 pm

CSX's issues back then can largely be traced to putting Dominski and Doyle in morning drive. The instant they were fired, 94.7's ratings began to rebound.

94.7 needed a freshening up, but D&D were just a terrible fit for the CSX brand. They didn't sound "Detroit" and didn't appeal to a middle aged blue collar demographic.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 pm

And I can tell you that a major part of it was they didn't play music during their show. I think they tried to put in some music toward the end, but they stopped all music in AM drive. Once they put Calvert on in the morning and put the tunes back on, things really turned around.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 pm

I still remember an ill-fated liner touting Dominski & Doyle as "the voice of the Motor City Workforce." :lol

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 am

This Deep cut Saturday is a great idea make it an entire weekend, But get rid of the Drew and Mike cluster-screw or move D&M to 4AM on Saturday and Sunday. It’s just a lame ass podcast anyway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 am

That's a bad idea. The Drew & Mike content is a cume generator.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic