Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu May 02, 2019 9:14 pm

Good Evening, fellow media nerds and posters!

While scrolling through my Facebook feed earlier, I noted a post from Wheels stating they were doing some kind of double shot Saturday, suggesting they were going deep into the vault.

I've heard some great lost tracks on the 4:20 deep cut, so I'm rather hopeful this sounds good. I'm glad to be hearing some old stuff pulled out as opposed to the usual shuck and jive. For example, today's song, "Train, Train" by Blackfoot was a great choice. It doesn't always have to be some unheard-of never-played album cut. I'm also rather astounded that it's originating from a station whose parent company helped define the "national playlist".

On a different note, I am getting EXTREMELY burnt on Guns N' Roses. Holy Mother of all that is Good, let's slow down a little. I'll cop to the fact that "Appetite For Destruction" was an amazing album, but I've had about what I can take. WRIF, WLLZ, WCSX, WOMC, WRSR, WJQX, WIOT, and, once in a blue moon, WNIC, all have a tendency to play the living shit out of the hits from that album, if they're not playing one of the few hits (especially covers) from UYI.

At any rate, anyone care to chime in? What would YOU like to hear on Wheels this weekend?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLLZ Deep Cut Saturday

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 02, 2019 9:20 pm

With the exception of some billboards around town, I noticed the station has completely phased out the "New Generation of Classic Rock" tagline. No mention of it on the web site, on the Facebook page, or on-air. (The wallpaper of the web site and Facebook page have been changed to plain white backgrounds.)

ABOUT TIME!!! :)

It was moronic to use to start with. 80% of the music the station plays is at least 30 years old. Most of the people "geeked" about the new radio station are over the age of 50. Listen to the phoners for proof.

The people who grew up with Wheels in the 1980s could give two shits about Generation Y artists.

On that note - it appears Jimmy Eat World and Lit were removed from rotation in recent days. Good. Those two artists stood out like sore thumbs.

The bad news? They still play Joan Jett all the fucking time, and they've added Bryan Adams. (Gag me with a spoon.)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu May 02, 2019 9:31 pm

I have to admit, thinking about what you stated and this "deep cut" thing, yes, it would sound kind of foolish. It would be hard to pool listeners that would come for the Rush deep cuts and stay for the Lit songs. Frankly, many of those more contemporary bands don't really HAVE deep cuts, so to speak. Or I could be wrong. Maybe we will hear "Ziplock" by Lit and "The Authority Song" by Jimmy Eat World ;)

Either way, I won't be listening to the Dahmer crew down the dial.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Traffic reports - and especially the obnoxious music bed used during said traffic reports - at all hours of the day on WLLZ are annoying.

How about limiting the traffic reports during non-peak hours to once hourly and ditching the obnoxious, super loud music bed?

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Some deep cuts I'd like to hear WLLZ spin Queen "Keep Yourself Alive" , how about from Zeppelin, "Ten Years Gone", "The Wonton Song", dive into Van Halen's first four albums, and not the safe for radio stuff, tunes like "Fools", Romeo Delight", Take Your Whiskey Home", "In A Simple Rhyme" , "Atomic Punk", "I'm The One", "D.O.A.", "Hear About It Later"...some Uriah Heep, Deep Purple's "Highway Star" off of "Made In Japan", and Bryan Adam's only good song.."Fit's Ya Good"...maybe Aerosmith, like "Seasons Of Wither", "Adam's Apple", "Lord Of The Thighs"... so many more I could mention...and yea , G 'n R's is old, "Paradise City" is now officially an overplayed classic rock tune...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu May 02, 2019 11:35 pm

I would definitely dig some deep VH cuts, however, I love the band in general and would gladly take some Sammy (my preferred era), but if they play anything from Fair Warning, I can bet I'll blow a speaker.

I guess I'm just hyped about it because I'm a music lover...but I can only handle the usual stuff so much. There is so much great music out there that you hear less and less of every year. So to hear a few "oh wow" songs instead of Paradise City AGAIN, it's like appointment listening for someone like me.

-TurkeyTop

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri May 03, 2019 7:10 am

My friend was a market research project recently about WLLZ’s playlist. They played several hundred snippets of songs and he had to give each a rating from 1-5. He recalled many selections were from the 90s, lots of Kid Rock, and of course a fair share of 80s hairbands and 70s tunes.

The ages of the others were from the 20s-50s both male and female.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 am

Interesting. How long ago did that take place?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 am

A few weeks to a month ago.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 am

WLLZ 106.7 is more of a Classic Rock Station than WCSX which has become more of a Classic Hits Station, They’re playing more 80’s Classic Hits lately, Yesterday they played “Down Under” by Men At Work that’s Not Classic Rock neither is Huey Lewis or Simple Minds, WCSX is Not Classic Rock.
Last edited by Deleted User 14992 on Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 8:57 am

Just a reminder that WRIF played Huey Lewis and Billy Joel in the 80s (they even had stickers made for them), and there's an aircheck floating around of Carl Coffey playing that Simple Minds tune.

On one of my WLLZ videos on YouTube, they played "Down Under". Of course, I also have breaks where WLLZ is playing Twisted Sister and the Crue in 1984. I'd love to have a peek at a typical day's playlist from, say, 1986. Just to see what was being spun and how often.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am

That's good to know, Fuzz. I'd love to be a part of that. I did the same thing recently but for Q106. All but 2 of the songs were "don't know it and hate it". Thank God they gave me a list afterward of what songs I voted on were called. Aside from the Greta Van Fleet songs, ALL of them sounded the same. Newer Active Rock blows my left nut!

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 am

I’m sure some radio retirees from one of the stations has a playlist somewhere.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 am

Blackfoot's "Train,Train" is a prime example of Southern rock which is so horribly ignored by rock stations .(Save Lynrd Skynrd's overwhelmingly overplayed anthems,"Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird.") If WLLZ plays more Ozark Mountain Daredevils,Molly Hatchet,Marshall Tucker Band,native Detroiter Marshall Crenshaw,38 ( D) Special (my favourite bra size for a chick !!!!),etc.,it'll get LOTS of older listeners such as I,though of course,they're likely gunning (an appropriate adjective,given I'm typing about Southern boys ) for the 18-49-year-old male demographic like most businesses .

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am

Chuck Davies wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 am
WLLZ 106.7 is more of a Classic Rock Station than WCSX which has become more of a Classic Hits Station, They’re playing more 80’s Classic Hits lately, Yesterday they played “Down Under” by Men At Work that’s Not Classic Rock neither is Huey Lewis or Simple Minds, WCSX is Not Classic Rock.
Exactly what I was saying back in March! Wheels is a MUCH better Classic Rock station than CSX...and 106.7 has MUCH better air-talent as well!...I predict that CSX will come in well under a 6-share for April! :D

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic