Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 9015

Re: What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:49 pm
I believe their best chance is to Super serve their existing customers into the grave and hope there are advertisers willing to support it.
I was told by a certain user a few years ago that there was no chance of radio dying because of limitations placed on internet connections and the difficulty of streaming in rural locations. You can't be telling me that technology is ever-evolving and is quickly catching up in areas it has not completely caught up with yet.

You're right. I haven't used the AM/FM function since I bought my car. I use SXM and stream whatever I want to listen to. There's so much variety out there. Like one of the things where streaming is weakest is local issues and interests, but still, it is a far superior option compared to what youll find on the AM/FM dial

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 pm

OK then, Mega Hertz, how about "but what about Paul Carey on Pistons games?"

Before there was Blaha, Paul had a few years in the Bing-Lanier-George "Instant Heat" Trapp era and his last year courtside was in Isiah/Tripucka's rookie season.

I listened to plenty of WJR in those days, they were something then.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

That may have been before my time. IIRC, the Pistons were on 950 and the Lions on 800. That part is a little fuzzy.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:30 pm

The national voices of today are just "Johnny-one-notes", i.e., right-wing politicos. That why W. J. R. stands for We're Just Republicans, not Detroit, anymore. Back in the day, WJR was the home of those Hall of Fame broadcasters like, Arthur Godfrey, Paul Harvey, Win Elliot, and those CBS News greats. Along with J.P., Jimmy Launce, Marc Avery, Ernie, Paul, Bruce, and others, locally. What a great mix of national and local talent on one station. A great template for a full-service formatted station.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I believe their best chance is to Super serve their existing customers into the grave and hope there are advertisers willing to support it.
I was told by a certain user a few years ago that there was no chance of radio dying because of limitations placed on internet connections and the difficulty of streaming in rural locations. You can't be telling me that technology is ever-evolving and is quickly catching up in areas it has not completely caught up with yet.

You're right. I haven't used the AM/FM function since I bought my car. I use SXM and stream whatever I want to listen to. There's so much variety out there. Like one of the things where streaming is weakest is local issues and interests, but still, it is a far superior option compared to what youll find on the AM/FM dial
Terrestrial radio is still popular among poorer drivers. People who buy used cars and cant afford satellite radio. Many people in inner cities with high-mileage cars from a buy-here pay-here lot arent spending the $. The contractors still using early-90s pickups arent utilizing technology. They may not be listening to much AM but satellite or bluetooth isnt as widespread as some believe. We are in our 30s and use basic AM/FM in both our cars. No interest in springing for more.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:02 am

If WJR was ever sold some Ethnic or Religious outfit will buy them and make tons of money for another 20 or 30 years, So the days of AM Radio aren’t numbered yet there’s still a lot of life on the AM Dial it’s just evolving.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:

I sure hope the Internet works for you if the power grid ever collapsed from whatever catastrophe caused the lights to go off. And will you be able to stream? Meanwhile I’ll have my radio with batteries for hours of emergency info.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 am

If the lights go off from a grid failure, how many radio stations are unmanned and broadcast a stream anyway? How will that number change as we continue into the future? Some make it sound like when the lights go off from a power grid failure, that 50kw of a studio feed full of internet connections to operate (news content as well as the transmitter link) will be unaffected.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:48 am

Read about Primary Entry Point Stations (PEP) it’s very interesting. WJR is a PEP station.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 pm

If manufacturers phase out AM radio, especially car companies, and general society "forgets" about AM radio, what's the point? I bet you nobody knows that WJR is our local PEP station. Some people don't even know where to find WJR on the dial.

Which leads us back to the original question, what can WJR (or AM radio in general) change to make itself relevant again, instead of currently guaranteeing it fades away into the AM radio sunset?

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:01 pm

The auto industry is planning on eventually phasing radio out of vehicles all together that’s AM and FM so good question, But in the same situation we can’t depend on a fragile internet and broadband infrastructure either. And it will always be fragile the bigger it gets the more fragile, There’s a ton of info on how fragile the Internet has become especially if we ever experience an EMP. As far as I can gather if we have an emergency situation we won’t be listening to the radio from our vehicles it would be from home or outside with portable receivers, And a certain type of EMP can fry all electronic devices so nothing could be saved unless you have a faraday cage and your devices are hardened that would be the only way to have your electronics survive an EMP. My Brother is a prepper and has two faraday cages with tons of radio receivers FRS and SW and is also a Ham Operator he also has a year supply of non-perishable food. As far as AM Radio riding off into the sunset, I personally don’t think it will, AM will always be there it could become the new shortwave with Religious and Ethnic programming and other specialized programming and it could be here for another 30 years.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:50 pm

Unless you listen to Howard Stern, et al, there's plenty of content on AM/FM radio. I'm not happy that there's not as much content as there used to be. But, that's life these days. And...I'm not rich, but I'm well off, and I'm not going to spend excess dollars on a car radio. It's a car radio, that's all. If you absolutely need more information or entertainment, maybe you should try reading a book!

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I’m with you, It’s just a car radio and I’m the car a total of 30 minutes a day and listening to CD’s. SiriusXM is a total waste of money for the same crap that free radio gives you, And as far as Stern is concerned he’s a total ass, Always has been and always will be, Another example of a radio has-been and yet people pay for that crap.
Last edited by Deleted User 14992 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 pm
If manufacturers phase out AM radio, especially car companies, and general society "forgets" about AM radio, what's the point? I bet you nobody knows that WJR is our local PEP station. Some people don't even know where to find WJR on the dial.

Which leads us back to the original question, what can WJR (or AM radio in general) change to make itself relevant again, instead of currently guaranteeing it fades away into the AM radio sunset?
Are there some people that stupid that can’t find 760 on the radio? I guess we need to draw them pictures on how to tune in 760 WJR, Time to breakout the crayons and paper.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Some people move a lot, some people don’t have a use for AM radio, some people didn’t grow up with it, and some don’t commit “WJR” to memory and where to find it. Combine all that. It’s not that hard to believe. Lots of people also don’t understand/know that I-94 is The Ford Freeway in the City. Why would they need to?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic