Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Broadcast Towers

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JGP1954

Michigan Broadcast Towers

Post by JGP1954 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 pm

There used to be a website, "Michigan Broadcast Towers". I believe it no longer exists. Is there another similar website that has the same content that "Michigan Broadcast Towers" did?

kc8yqq

Re: Michigan Broadcast Towers

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 am

Tom Bosscher was the man behind Michigan Broadcast Towers and I believe he is on this board. There are links to his pictures on Michiguide.com, but the domain is now up for sale.

There is/was another website that shown tower photos (SE Michigan/Toledo area) from an airplane and I haven't been able to find it for quite some time.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

Scott Fybush has some. fybush,com is the web address as I recall.

If you have a good satellite mapping program, with 3D views, you can sometimes get a good view of towers and arrays. Details sometimes look a little funny, like the antenna bays look like they are wrapped with Glad Wrap. That is some kind of artifact due to the way data is stored as I have heard. Database Memory, although very high, is still limited.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am

JGP1954 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 pm
There used to be a website, "Michigan Broadcast Towers". I believe it no longer exists. Is there another similar website that has the same content that "Michigan Broadcast Towers" did?
I can view them on Google Earth IF I select "FCC_TV_2010-12-01" which comes under places. All the towers show in their actual locations but activating this tab adds a call letter label.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Thanks CK-722...I totally forgot about Scott Fybush's towers and he does have some from trips into Michigan.

When I plan a trip somewhere, I use Google Earth with the plugin from fccinfo.com. The plugin was many options such as separate AM, FM, and TV transmitter sites, or you can do them all together. Another feature I use when dxing is the show sites for a particular frequency.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:35 pm

kc8yqq wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Thanks CK-722...I totally forgot about Scott Fybush's towers and he does have some from trips into Michigan.

When I plan a trip somewhere, I use Google Earth with the plugin from fccinfo.com. The plugin was many options such as separate AM, FM, and TV transmitter sites, or you can do them all together. Another feature I use when dxing is the show sites for a particular frequency.
That's really interesting. If I recall, the "plug-in" is a KML file loaded into the program. Do you know if the plug-in works on a mobile version of Google Earth (or if loading it in on a desktop computer will sync with a mobile version)?

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 am

Sorry, I don't have the answers about a mobile version. My radio related software is on a laptop running Windows 8.1. Other than that I don't own any mobile devices.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic