Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What Will Be The Next Format Change In Detroit?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: What Will Be The Next Format Change In Detroit?

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Oh sweet.
They swapped with them.
106.7 is officially WLLZ now

Music is my life.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am
W4 has been in Ann Arbor for nearly 20 years. What would be the point in changing the call letters???
W4 was a brand in Detroit for 20 years and was around longer and sooner than Wheelz was. So there is still some brand ID with W4. Also, if they move Bubba over from Ann Arbor it will finally Cumulus a live and local morning show, which they have sorely missed on 93.1.

While I think GNASH should flip to sports (and they won't it seems), if they are staying country they need a re-branding and a local morning show badly. Keeping the station country and branding it 93.1 W4 Country wouldn't be the worst idea. They can still simulcast it to 102.9 as well. If they keep the WDRQ call letters than branding it Q-Country makes sense to me, even with Q-Country over in Port Huron.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm

93.5fm in Ocean Isle, NC, which is a rim shot signal for Myrtle Beach, although it can be heard ok in N.Myrtle Beach but in Myrtle Beach. They Currently have a regional Mexican format. On Feb 28, they changed the calls to WLLZ, I thought something was up obviously or it was a big tease.

Sure enough, WLLZ is back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDTW-FM

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:53 pm

No worries, The Detroit area still has WDTW, just not the "effe ehmee'🇪🇸

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:56 pm

I wouldn't simulcast 93.1 and 102.9.

Doing so would cut off a decent revenue stream for Cumulus.

The "W4" name could easily be used on both stations, and they could each keep their own programming.

93.1's problem isn't so much the Nash name. It's the imported morning show. I'd put the name at a distant third when ranking the station's issues.

By the way, flipping the station to Sports would be foolish. Our sports teams are a hot pile of garbage right now, and CBS has the vast majority of meaningful PBP locked up anyway.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Brian "Bubba" Cowan could be a major market morning show host. Do you just leave him in Ann Arbor or move him to Detroit as a morning show host?

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Here’s an idea, Forget Country all together, Now I have two ideas, #1 Bring back All Hit Radio WDRQ and go all out against Channel 95.5 and kick their butts. Now #2 Get rid of the WDRQ calls and bring in the WPLJ calls and format 93.1 Active Rock and go head to head against 89 X and WRIF. That’s two ideas, What do you think? Oh! I lied one more idea #3 Keep the WDRQ calls and become a Classic Soul Format 60’s 70’s and 80’s, WDRQ played a ton of R&B through the years it could work.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 pm

One idea Ive had for a long time which I really thought 93.1 would flip to since they had the Podell over there at the time was a "Classic Vinyl Channel".

The Rock of 1964 the birth of the Beatles/Viet Nam era rock to around 1978 the height of AOR radio.

Alot of great music variety in that era which wasnt yet pigeoned holed by genre's yet to a large part.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

We both have great ideas but corporate radio would just screw it up, You almost have to buy your own radio station to put forth your idea. That’s the sad reality of the business today what’s left of it anyway.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

There was a reason they dropped the CHR format in the first place. I can't see them going back.

Music is my life.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:58 am

MW could probably explain it better, but I THINK, at the time, ABC took the station in a more vanilla direction, and 955 kicked their ass. Then Kosbau wanted the flip to Doug to beat out WOMC (who may have had plans).

I do remember the night DRQ flipped, Tik Tak was playing a cut from 50 Cent's new album every 20 minutes because DRQ didn't wanna touch it. Sort of like a victory lap.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

I believe the last song on DRQ was a Maroon 5 song.

Music is my life.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:30 pm

WDFN to talk radio,as the station (save Ben Maller and perhaps the Broussard-Parker "The Odd Couple" team ) SUCKS BIG TIME !!!!!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am
W4 has been in Ann Arbor for nearly 20 years. What would be the point in changing the call letters???
W4 was a brand in Detroit for 20 years and was around longer and sooner than Wheelz was. So there is still some brand ID with W4. Also, if they move Bubba over from Ann Arbor it will finally Cumulus a live and local morning show, which they have sorely missed on 93.1.

While I think GNASH should flip to sports (and they won't it seems), if they are staying country they need a re-branding and a local morning show badly. Keeping the station country and branding it 93.1 W4 Country wouldn't be the worst idea. They can still simulcast it to 102.9 as well. If they keep the WDRQ call letters than branding it Q-Country makes sense to me, even with Q-Country over in Port Huron.
I'll say this as clearly and succinctly as I possibly can: "W4 will NEVER be in Detroit EVER again!" It's true the calls have brand equity... in ANN ARBOR. I haven't listened to W4 consistently in awhile, but last I knew, Bubba lived in Grass Lake and seemed perfectly happy being on the air in Ann Arbor. Why he all of a sudden would want to drive another 45 minutes just to say he was in a bigger market, just doesn't make sense.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:33 pm

The new afternoon guy 93.1 just hired did mornings at country Y108 in Pittsburgh. If 93.1 ever decides to do a purely local morning show, he will more than likely be the host.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic