Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:07 pm

AC/DC has excellent multi-generational appeal. Foreigner? I agree with you on that one.

You've perfectly described the quintessential problem with the approach 106.7 is taking.

Stations such as WIOT can get away with it because they have no Active Rock competition, and they are the heritage rock station in the market. WIOT also plays some currents (unlike 106.7).

Upstarts with the type of format 106.7 is programming generally have a tough time succeeding. That is especially true in markets where a successful Active Rock station exists.

Want an example of what I mean? Take Seattle. Rock 98.9 had trouble competing with 99.9 KISW. Want another? How about San Antonio in the early 2K's? 99.5 KISS beat the living snot out of 102.7 there.

I'll even give you an example closer to home - WGRD beat the living snot out of 101.3 The Brew during its "Man Up!" phase.
I would love to hear more guitar rock like Kenny Wayne Sheppard, StevieRay Vaughn, Joe Satriani-summer song, Hendrix- cross town traffic/hey joe, Yngwie Malmsteen- heaven tonight, Nugent--dog eat dog, little miss dangerous,out of control, fred bear

Some southern rock-----Blackfoot--Train train and highway song,Molly Hatchet--whiskyman/flirtin with disaster,Skynard--gimme back my bullets,mr breeze, Jackyl--down on me/lumberjack
I like ALL of the above suggestions, with the exception of Jackyl and Nugent's "Fred Bear" (a stiff that should only be played at the start of hunting season).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

This piece of shit radio station has played Billy Squier not once, not twice but three (!!!) times since Noon today.

Yuck.

Having flashbacks of the abortion known as 106.7 The Drive.

A corporate iFart classic rock playlist (different version than the one 106.7 is using) in Grand Rapids is nabbing a 1.3 share in that market - ranked 69th largest in the country - even as the classic rock behemoth in that market is operating at reduced power.

I'm sure the corporate programmers at iFart have the pulse on what Detroit rock listeners want. After all, they did such a bang up job with Fault 106.7, and they are doing a great job as we speak with 101.3 in GR!! :lol

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm
I just heard Pink Floyd followed by Butthole Surfers. This isnt the "next generation of classic rock". Its multiple generations. Bands like Queen and Pink Floyd had good multi-generational appeal. Not so sure about Foreigner or even AC/DC. Whats the target demo? I dont think Foreigner fans want to hear 90s alt-rock and a lot of 90s fans dont want Dads music besides the aforementioned bands who pulled off a generational crossover.
I'm in the 90s section, and no, I'm not someone who has ever liked 89x. But the oldest band in 2019 I listen to is Metallica.

This station is sounding more and more like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force by the second, and on that note, I'm out.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 am

Blackfoot,Molly Hatchet (whom I saw at California's,a Windsor nightclub,in 1994; too bad nearly all those boys are deceased,among my faves ),Blackfoot ( WAY TOO MUCH Skynrd; "Free Bird" and Sweet Home Alabama" are excellent tunes,but criminally over-played) and of course,the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. ( "Jackie Blue," is my boy Brooke Logsdon's favourite song; Brooke, a true good ol' boy and elder brother of my best bud Jamie Logsdon,was 66 last Tuesday ; Jamie will be 63 next Thursday.) Let's not forget The Outlaws and the Marshall Tucker Band when mentioning Southern rock.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:57 pm

What ever they are playing right now, this will quickly devolve into the standard iFart/"Premium Choice" line up of music and jocks. This is what happened in Grand Rapids with 101.3 in the change over from "the Fox" to "the Brew". In other words, a few weeks of experimenting with some less burnt out cuts, but quickly going back to the same "premium choice" crap that was on the Drive previously.

Tip: when the night jock is a voice-tracked guy who goes by the airname of "The Big Rig", you will know the move to San Antonio programming is once again complete. There probably is no iFart classic rocker that DOESN'T carry his show.

By summer it will be downright impossible to differentiate "Wheels" programming from the previous incarnation of Classic Rock on 106.7 "the Drive". And the playlist of 106.7 will sound almost completely the same as that of 101.3 in Grand Rapids.

edited by philly b 3/4/2019

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:16 pm

The Big Rig does afternoon drive "live" in Tampa on active rocker WXTB. This station as an active rocker with a H U G E signal that sprinkles in those classic rock staples, in my opinion, it blows The Riff out of the water.
Last edited by Deleted User 3751 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Did anyone hear "Alive" by Pearl Jam just before 3:00?

Am I stoned or did the end sound like it was speeding up and slowing down?

PS glad to hear DP on a rock station again.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm

I would like to add something to the list of former jocks wanted on 106.7.

I've seen JJ's name thrown about and, unless something has changed in the last ten years, I don't think he would work with/for Podell.

See, when JJ & Lynne were let go from WCSX in 2008, there were rumblings that Doug had sat on the info, acting like everything was okay, knowing that they were about to be fired. Eleven years and many illegal substances later, I kinda have of a blur what went down, but I don't think they were getting along too well for a while, anyway. So I don't see JJ joining the new Wheels crew any time soon.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:51 pm
Regrettably, Podell misspoke when he said "K.C." Wishful thinking / Freudian slip perhaps?

It is Alt 106.7's / The D's failed former PD - Casey Krukowski - who'll be doing evenings.

Hopefully he exits of his own accord soon. He is a weak air talent...has no business being on air weekdays in a top 20 market. Why not hire someone like Mike Staff or Dave Doran instead?
I believe Casey was at WEBN before Detroit, where he also lost his gig... but was "rewarded" with Detroit. Casey has imaging experience (Akron, Richmond). He may be producing the imaging.

Carolyn Stone... IIRC her last radio gig was at Cumulus Toledo's ZONE, 2009.

re: Chris Corley ... severely ill
Last edited by AMFMTV on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Big Signal wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:16 pm
The Big Rig does afternoon drive "live" in Tampa on active rocker WXTB. This station as an active rocker with a H U G E signal that sprinkles in those classic rock staples, in my opinion, it blows The Riff out of the water.
"Big Rig" Ron Michaels an excellent talent. We had Rig on WRDU/Raleigh 2001-05. Met him once. Very cool dude. He tracks about 10-15 stations, does XTB and is (was) the Tampa IT Director.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:46 pm

WEBN's ratings had slipped to about a 3 share, and they had been overtaken by 96Rock, when Casey departed.

In other words, he presided over one of the worst ratings periods in WEBN's storied history.

His track record in Michigan stinks. Look no further than 101.3 in G.R., which is a complete calamity. 'Nuff said.

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

"Big Rig" Ron Michaels an excellent talent. We had Rig on WRDU/Raleigh 2001-05. Met him once. Very cool dude. He tracks about 10-15 stations, does XTB and is (was) the Tampa IT Director.
I agree, he is a great talent.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Day four.........

Twilight zone..... on now at 5:30p.....

Not quite “tired” but a good fit.

We will see.

Morning show...... on the other hand....

BMc was good with Deminski n Doyle but not sure Solo on morning Drive has that much energy to keep people from falling asleep halfway to work.

5:32p - blink 182......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Just curious, Has anyone seen the new WLLZ shirts, I thought they were handing them out at Autorama this past weekend. I know the logo has a lot to be desired. And I’m sure that all 15 of my original Wheels 98.7 shirts probably look better then the Wheels 2.0 shirts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm torn on what sucks worse - the playlist (I realize there's a glimmer of hope it'll improve)or the logo of 106.7 Fake Wheels?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic