All accepted registrations through October 6 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lovinlife101

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm
LL101 probably thinks a car engine consumes the same amount of fuel when driving 100 mph as 30 mph. :lol:

Extreme analogy, I realize, but less natural gas is consumed based on a few degree reduction to the 'stat.

There's a reason people turn down the 'stat when they leave for work. Less energy consumption = lower gas bills.

That's a cool map, TC Talks. Thanks for posting that!
Most furnaces have only one speed, unless it’s multi-stage, which few people have. They’re on or they’re off, not variable speed. So none of them are going 100 mph or 30 mph. They’re all going the same speed. It’s the amount of time on that is the variable. And, like I said, if a furnace can’t maintain a temperature of 60 degrees, it doesn’t matter if it’s set to 60, 65, or 100. It will be on all the time regardless.

This is fun!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:41 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:47 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm
LL101 probably thinks a car engine consumes the same amount of fuel when driving 100 mph as 30 mph. :lol:

Extreme analogy, I realize, but less natural gas is consumed based on a few degree reduction to the 'stat.

There's a reason people turn down the 'stat when they leave for work. Less energy consumption = lower gas bills.

That's a cool map, TC Talks. Thanks for posting that!
Most furnaces have only one speed, unless it’s multi-stage, which few people have. They’re on or they’re off, not variable speed. So none of them are going 100 mph or 30 mph. They’re all going the same speed. It’s the amount of time on that is the variable. And, like I said, if a furnace can’t maintain a temperature of 60 degrees, it doesn’t matter if it’s set to 60, 65, or 100. It will be on all the time regardless.

This is fun!
The point is that most if not nearly all furnaces can maintain 60 or 65 much more easily than 75 or 80... hence the cost reduction.... you lose again! This is fun! Now go tee yourself up again...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:10 pm

The whole point of reducing the thermostat today and yesterday was to prevent the type of supply shortage that would have induced the type of scenario you described, LL101.

Granted, I share your skepticism regarding the true severity of the situation.

If one compressor station fire can cause such an extreme supply bottleneck, Consumers and state regulators should scrutinize Consumers' gas storage and delivery practices.

Greta Thunberg is a snot nosed brat who needs to STFU.

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 pm

I had been smelling a rat. MW, I think your theory about DTE/Consumers makes a lot of sense here.

And one strike against the new governor for sending out that alert without all of the facts. She set off a crapstorm without all of the facts. What the hell is wrong with her? Will I come to regret not voting for Bill Schuette?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm

Well, in her defense, I think she was taking a better-safe-than-sorry approach. If I was in her position and received the same urgent request from Consumers, subject to satisfactory answers to my questions, I likely would've made the same decision that Whitmer did.

Edit: Whitmer has ordered a post-mortem analysis of what went wrong and a review of the state's overall natural gas grid resiliency. I agree with her actions here.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 733791002/

Greta Thunberg is a snot nosed brat who needs to STFU.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Doesn't any one remember back in the mid-70's when a cold snap caused similar problems? Only that time it was electricity. It was so cold the coal was frozen and there were problems feeding the boilers. Companies lowered the usage and everyone was asked to dial down and turn off lights not needed. It was all over in a couple days.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 pm

That's not heat, that's my FREEDOM you're telling me to turn down.

Turned ours down. We're still alive, still breathing, nobody died. I didn't feel the need to be the local contrarian bad ass and crank it to 80.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

CircleWXYZ

Post by CircleWXYZ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 pm

DTE is a crap company! Always has been!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:49 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Actually that is not what you said. What you said was.....
lovinlife101 wrote:
Here’s they funny thing, people’s furnaces are already running non-stop. Turn it to 60, 65, 70, or 100, when it’s this cold out, furnaces run non-stop.
Notice the missing disclaimer "if a furnace can’t maintain a temperature of 60 degrees," in the original statement.
Your original statement is incorrect. All else being equal a furnace set at 75 will run longer than a furnace set at 65.
Further more any house with reasonable insulation and reasonable efficient windows will not have its furnace run non stop.

testing...testing...1...2...3...4

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:23 am

Art Van Damme wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm
No, the lawyers aren’t drooling...it’s the accountants.

DTE can charge significantly more per kWh providing power to the grid (that goes to “the market”) than directly to their customers in their primary service area.
So, if we use less, that “saved power” is put on the grid and sold for more. It’s a no lose hedge for DTE.

But, hey, the MPSC is watching over the whole show so we can be assured there’s no hanky-panky going on!👍

My question: When did “heat” become “air conditioning”
You almost sound like you know what you're talking about.
This discussion regards gas. If we were talking about electrical supply, I'd point to all of the the weed farms and Teslas in town which cause the grid to noticeably sag during peak use.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am

Mickey Lolich wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 pm
I had been smelling a rat. MW, I think your theory about DTE/Consumers makes a lot of sense here.

And one strike against the new governor for sending out that alert without all of the facts. She set off a crapstorm without all of the facts. What the hell is wrong with her? Will I come to regret not voting for Bill Schuette?
Agree.

Consumers Energy: “Can you send out a statewide text using the emergency system regarding our publicly-traded, government sanctioned monopoly service without all the facts?”

Whitmer: “You got it!!!”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic