Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14888

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

To anyone still in the business on this board, here’s the question why are the 90’s neglected on most radio stations? it was a very diverse decade and appealed to more than one generation, I’m 63 years young and dug the hell out of The 90’s music, is there something missing as to why radio is not doing 90’s?

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm

It's simple. Compatibility with the other songs you want to play on the station.

Many stations will, of course, go for a certain type of sound.

But, there were literally too many different types of music going on in the 90s, it was a highly fragmented decade with the likes of hip-hop, rock, alternative, AC, dance and pop-inflected country all competing for the center lane. If you tried to cater to all these 90s sounds, it would be quite the trainwreck (or maybe sound like someone's disjointed MP3 collection...but not YOUR MP3 collection).

Some Classic Hits stations do insert some 90s, but typically these are covers of well known songs or sound like "80s throwbacks", to maintain that compatibility factor.

I think the 90s are going to be mostly glossed over when it comes to radio and the next major thing will be the first decade of the 2000s and leaning on the R&B/hip-hop crossovers (already had been tried in some areas, but considered "too soon"... but, much like the 80s flashbacks that then more recently became canon on Classic Hits stations, they'll eventually come back again...)

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:20 pm

I cannot understand how any offices can have The Breeze on all day, given the crazy repetition.

IMO, this would be a great station if they multiplied the library by 3 or 4x....and added some jingles. I’m sick of the same liners over and over and over....

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Most offices don’t even tune in terrestrial radio due to reception issues with computers and being surrounded by metal, every office I’ve been in it’s always satellite radio and usually a Soft Rock Channel. So as far as 98.7 is concerned good luck trying to attract the office female, most women are glued to Sat Radio.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Most offices don’t even tune in terrestrial radio due to reception issues with computers and being surrounded by metal, every office I’ve been in it’s always satellite radio and usually a Soft Rock Channel. So as far as 98.7 is concerned good luck trying to attract the office female, most women are glued to Sat Radio.

If that. I hear Sirius about as often as I hear OTA radio in businesses: almost never.
Why pay for Sirius, which can be just as repetitive as OTA radio, when you can make a spotify or youtube custom playlist for free and listen in your earbuds.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am

Maybe its just my ears but, I'm noticing this morning return of songs that were removed, and less R&B.... I don't want to jinx anything but it sounds much better today. :D

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

Steve79 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am
Maybe its just my ears but, I'm noticing this morning return of songs that were removed, and less R&B.... I don't want to jinx anything but it sounds much better today. :D
I woke up at 10, and that has not been the case the past hour and a half. Ugh.
Tracy Chapman at least played a few min after 10, which is good. That song hasn't come on in a while it seems.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 pm

It seemed a bit more balanced today!

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 am

They are playing now for the first time the Des'ree song I suggested. "You Gotta Be".

That was always an AC Staple throughout the 90s.

It's nice to hear this song again on the radio.

I used to put it on all the CD's I made for the speakers at frozen yogurt shop I used to manage years ago. (Shhh, yes I know that's a big no no, lol. The owner could have cared less how I ran the place and I highly doubt BMI and ASCAP employees would be checking out random ice cream shops in Novi)

I miss making all those CDs.
I would make ones for each specific day part.
Morning it was all 60s and 70s music for the old folks that came in, afternoons I would do Soft Rock/AC for the soccer mom crowd, and in the evenings have all upbeat teen pop/current hits or sometimes let the employee on duty just turn on AMP Radio.
Everytime I was working and Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" came on the CD, literally every lady would be shaking their booties to it and I would try so hard not to lmao while ringing them up :lol

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 am

That Des’ree tune is R&B, good tune though, Oh by the way Good Morning 😃.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm

So they got rid of the R&B Heavy playlist kinda, but now today they have almost completely eliminated the 60s and 70s.
I'm so done listening.
They don't know what they are doing.

They seem to be trying to copy WNIC almost.
I don't listen to that station for a reason....

As of today, WNIC plays more 70s music than The Breeze now is playing.... wow.

Honestly it almost seems like they are trying to make the station fail, so they have an excuse to flip it.

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Yea I get pretty sick of hearing John Legend, Adele, and Train.

When it was new, it was must-hear radio, and I had it on all the time. Now it’s meh, ok, still listenable, but not satisfying to me. If I hear a song I like, I’ll most likely flip it on the next song. Too bad. Had potential to be great. Still on my presets though.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Can’t be all bad... it’s up from AMP and held steady at 2.7 for the second month in a row in the face of NIC’s 17...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Remember though these ratings are from before the playlist changes though.
They updated the playlist right at the beginning of January, so the 2.7 reflects it's debut sound.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 pm
Remember though these ratings are from before the playlist changes though.
They updated the playlist right at the beginning of January, so the 2.7 reflects it's debut sound.
It was stated in the other thread that there were a few days of this month in this book. They don’t run perfectly aligned to the months anyways...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic