Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Y M Ionhere

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am

If you really feel it’s that “R&B”-intensive, may I remind you of the market? This area has been trending heavily in that direction. More station flip to “urban” formats than from them and it’s been the more prevalent direction that the stations have gone. The region has a large black population and they get their music by and large from the radio. I prefer blues and rock. I’m more likely to listen to a cd when I’m driving. Black audiences may actually make up a larger percentage of terrestrial radio listeners. Again, I don’t hear an overwhelming percentage of the playlist being “R&B”, but I think that audience is where the regular FM listeners are. No decent rock stations left and the rest of the adult contemporary programming is much more modern and “hot AC” based. You may need to go further north, like the thumb or somewhere like Midland to hear less R&B. To me, it sounds like it tries to balance itself out and cater to a several audiences who have moved past dance/hip hop/hoochie-mama/ macho gangster music and need something more mature and professional for the office that isn’t dirty or have hard beats.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am

I've pretty much stopped listening. They are doing a half-ass job with the station, almost like this this is not expected to last and rather just a temporary format? Perhaps just "parking" the format/branding from iheart? or waiting for WDTW-FM to give up on ALT and then grab the format for 98.7?
I don't know, I cant wrap my mind around this stations sloppy decisions or lack of effort.

Back to listening to WISX 106.1 the breeze for me.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

Still my 2nd favorite station in Detroit...right after 104.3...Definitely has a better playlist than either WNIC or WDVD! :D

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 am

What happened to DVD, they really suck now, what did they change recently, it’s not the same station from 3 months ago. I would love 98.7 to actually be a copy of The Wave 94.7 in L.A. at least the station would have some direction, and could draw better ratings.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 pm

OK let me state some facts here.

Number 1: Philly's highest precentage population is black and their Breeze station isn't urban leaning.

Number 2: Just because this is a Detroit station doesn't mean only people in Detroit are listening... heck I doubt there are very many people in the actual city that are listening. Here in Novi, it's very "white collar". There are more Asians than black.

Number 3: these listener demographics are very very incorrect and rather racist. "Black people want to listen to black music"... no I don't think so. Everyone has their OWN taste in music.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I agree with your findings, Detroit does have its share of Urban Formated Stations, Maybe more than needed, and perhaps this explains the decline in WJLB’s ratings the last few years, 97.9 and 100.3 were always fighting for the top spot in The 80’s and 90’s not so much anymore, as far as 98.7 the problem is (in my opinion) no real direction one day they’re A/C 70’s to Now the next day they’re R&B 70’s to now, it’s like we will get to the fix later just keep playing these songs and change them whenever, apparently the guy that’s running the station has to much on his plate, just my opinion.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm

They still have some 60s tunes, but significantly less than the old playlist.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 pm

So they have added back a few of the songs from the list I made of the ones that were removed with the new RnB playlist.

I just made a new list of removed songs and put it in the request thread, so I'm not posting it everywhere

The 2 lists can be found in the lastest posts in the 98.7 Song Requests thread

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

Just heard some more from my removed list,
"Fire and Rain" played and now England Dan & John Ford Coley are on!

Music is my life.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

It sounds like they basically removed all the 'yacht rock' type stuff, which has been my favorite stuff to listen to the past couple of years.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 am

This has to be the tightest playlist I have EVER heard... Absolutely awful with the repetitiveness. They need to bring back songs from the playlist in rotation when they launched the station.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 pm

WNIC is playing a few select 60s and 70s tunes now!
😮

And guess what songs they are, 😅
Ones The Breeze got rid of a few weeks ago when they made the new playlist.
(Eagles, Ben E. King, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, etc.)

Even some of the 80s selections they are playing now, for example, Air Supply.

However WNIC is still unlistenable to me since 80% of the playlist is post 2k, and that mixed in with the rare occasional older song does not at all sound good.. and they completely skip over the 90s for some reason.
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Music is my life.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 pm
.. and they completely skip over the 90s for some reason.
The 90's were the time in my life when I consumed the most music. I finished up high school, went through college, and made my way out in to the 'real world' in the 90's, and music was there with me every step of the way.

With that said, I now look back at a lot of the music I listened to and I have to admit that a great deal of the music from that time has simply not aged well. A lot of the music that 'defined me' back then, I'll now instinctively turn off. I find myself going back to the mid-70s through late-ish-80s for times when I'm looking to be nostalgic.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 am

A lot of stations are skipping The 90’s, why I have no idea it was a great decade of music.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

I'm 34, so I grew up in the 90's. The 90's were the decade of music I "skipped". My musical interests mostly end in the 80s, and anything post-2000 is barely lukewarm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic