All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 8570

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:11 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:06 am
So the Breeze gets rid of "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal, and WNIC adds it in after not playing it for 9 years.

The Breeze needs to wake up before WNIC changes its sound even more
Don't replace good songs with RnB filler and expect to win.
Now wait a second... define good songs... nobody needs The Carpenters or Seals and Crofts... I would rather hear forget me nots than anything by either group... apparently they are tweaking it for a more urban leaning audience... you don’t have to photocopy WNIC to win either...



stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 am

Then they need to drop the soft AC branding if they don't want to be that. When people turn on an a Soft AC station they expect the right format.
If they want to be Urban AC then they need to get on with it.
The mix of songs is really bizarre


Also WNIC are the ones trying to copy the songs the Breeze was playing a month ago. Obviously if iheart is playing the songs, that means they tested the songs and apparently they worked.
Entercom doesn't seem to do that for some reason. The PD's have freedom to just start playing songs and watch the ratings.

So maybe that's what is going on: The ratings weren't what they wanted so they are seeing if it was the RnB was causing the problem or not.
I'm basing my theory off the current sound.
They keep grouping together genres. I'll hear like 15 min to a half hour of RnB, then I'll hear a bunch of soft rock grouped together, etc.


Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:10 am

WNIC will kick 98.7’s ass just wait, WNIC has a heritage in this town, it’s just like Nash trying to beat 99.5 it will not happen. Detroit listeners are loyal to their stations.



Deleted User 8570

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:15 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 am
Then they need to drop the soft AC branding if they don't want to be that. When people turn on an a Soft AC station they expect the right format.
If they want to be Urban AC then they need to get on with it.
The mix of songs is really bizarre


Also WNIC are the ones trying to copy the songs the Breeze was playing a month ago. Obviously if iheart is playing the songs, that means they tested the songs and apparently they worked.
Entercom doesn't seem to do that for some reason. The PD's have freedom to just start playing songs and watch the ratings.

So maybe that's what is going on: The ratings weren't what they wanted so they are seeing if it was the RnB was causing the problem or not.
I'm basing my theory off the current sound.
They keep grouping together genres. I'll hear like 15 min to a half hour of RnB, then I'll hear a bunch of soft rock grouped together, etc.
The first few months of a station’s life probably should be experiments to see what sticks then look at the ratings and tweak accordingly... that’s exactly what’s going on here. But since ratings only come out once a month that’ll require some patience... this process could take a while.



Y M Ionhere
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Where the sun no longer shines

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am

Define "R and B". I listened a few days ago and they played standard pop/ soft rock 50% of the time. Not all "black" artists are r&b as many have crossed over into pop markets. Lionel Ritchie, for example, whom the station plays a lot. Whitney Houston is well represented and her early stuff was pop. Ditto the Smokey Robinson tunes. I heard plenty of Journey, Elton John, etc. To me, R&B isvocal music-lots of high notes, stretching words to showcase vocal process, changing octaves, almost oversinging. Pop lets the backing tracks breathe. There are more strings and keyboards, as well as audible guitars. With Lionel Ritchie songs, the backing tracks compliment the vocals more. With older R&B that may not be true, but definitely with 90s and newer acts. At least half of the songs were pure pop.



Y M Ionhere
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Where the sun no longer shines

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Its pretty balanced. Here are the last 12 artists theyve played:
-Fugees (R&B?)
-Poison: Every Rose Has Its Thorn (acoustic ballad)
-Stevie Wonder (kind of R&B)
-Simply Red (Soul/pop crossover)
-Paula Cole(Pop)
-Billy Joel ( Pop)
-Earth Wind and Fire (defies categorization- r&B, pop, jazz, disco fused together)
-Phil Collins ( pop)
- Alicia Keys (R&B)
- Billy Vera (R&B)
-player (soft rock/yacht rock)

They just finished a Country-pop Leeann Rimes song and now theyre playing U2. They seem to be trying to please as many sud-demographics as possible.



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by mtburb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm
Its pretty balanced. Here are the last 12 artists theyve played:
-Fugees (R&B?)
-Poison: Every Rose Has Its Thorn (acoustic ballad)
-Stevie Wonder (kind of R&B)
-Simply Red (Soul/pop crossover)
-Paula Cole(Pop)
-Billy Joel ( Pop)
-Earth Wind and Fire (defies categorization- r&B, pop, jazz, disco fused together)
-Phil Collins ( pop)
- Alicia Keys (R&B)
- Billy Vera (R&B)
-player (soft rock/yacht rock)

They just finished a Country-pop Leeann Rimes song and now theyre playing U2. They seem to be trying to please as many sud-demographics as possible.
Probably trying to replicate 93.1's old Doug FM days without any success for the most part.


My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

But they got rid of all the "oh wow I forgot that song" and replaced them all with the "oh that song again" and "wtf was that song"


Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am
Define "R and B". I listened a few days ago and they played standard pop/ soft rock 50% of the time. Not all "black" artists are r&b as many have crossed over into pop markets. Lionel Ritchie, for example, whom the station plays a lot. Whitney Houston is well represented and her early stuff was pop. Ditto the Smokey Robinson tunes. I heard plenty of Journey, Elton John, etc. To me, R&B isvocal music-lots of high notes, stretching words to showcase vocal process, changing octaves, almost oversinging. Pop lets the backing tracks breathe. There are more strings and keyboards, as well as audible guitars. With Lionel Ritchie songs, the backing tracks compliment the vocals more. With older R&B that may not be true, but definitely with 90s and newer acts. At least half of the songs were pure pop.
Everyone has different labels for music on this station, some call it Soft Rock some call it A/C some say Lite Rock the problem in my opinion is this station is covering 60+ years of music territory, and what we used to call A/C back in the 70’s & 80’s is different today, and it’s possible because of The larger span of 6 decades today as opposed to 3 or even 4 decades A/C covered in the 70’s & 80’s, Now I heard them say today on the station they are Soft Rock and that’s good but then what the hell is Soft Rock, is it Soft songs by The Stones and The Beatles or even Led Zeppelin to me that would be Soft Rock as well. It could very well happen for the station to discontinue covering 60 years of music and eventually may have to cut the 60’s & 70’s Material out of the playlist. We will see what happens.



stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm

I find it funny that the station is "supposed" to be for middle ages women, yet the only callers I've heard on the air have been younger sounding men, including 2 from myself.
That right there should be evidence enough that their demographic formulas are flawed and don't define what people "should" be listening to.


I'm a 27 year old white male so their logic is I'm supposed to be listening to Nirvana and Imagine Dragons. Yea, f off with that shit.
However I'm not sure if me being gay might have something to do with my craving for Phil Collins and Ambrosia and Sheryl Crow, or not...


Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 pm

I honestly think that Tim the guy you always talk about is trying to do what he can, until an actual PD is named and also a Music Director as well, I personally from my experience even though I’ve been out of the Biz for 20 years, can’t imagine this station to be run like this for very long, the last station I worked at was an Oldies station in Eugene, Oregon KKNX 840 it was the best station in my career it started broadcasting in 1996, the owners where a married couple, they always wanted an oldies station from day one, that station was and still is today run like a Swiss watch, it is still an Oldies format, the point I’m trying to make is this station did and still has a game plan, the secret is simple it’s not corporate radio and that’s what radio needs to go back to, give radio back to the people.



stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:38 pm

I think Pam Rossi would be great a programming the station.
I've listened to her show on CSX and the songs she picked during the WOMC Sunday Morning Brew when she had more freedom (before the 80s crap)


Music is my life.

stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 am

Woah, starting midnight, for the past hour and a half I've heard nome of the weird RnB songs at all.
Well Billy Vera is on now, but this song is an example of the type that sounds great and fits in.
Smokey Robinson was also on with "Crusin" and that is perfect as well.

I hope it stays sounding like it has the past hour and a half
It doesn't sound like background noise / filler music right now. I'm actually excited to hear what will come on next after each song finishes. This is great!

EDIT:
3 hours in and still sounds great!!
Have not heard a single bizarre RnB tune.
Just the good stuff like Kool and the Gang, etc.
This is fantastic.

Even hearing some of the songs from that list I made of ones that were removed.
Nelly Furtado is now with "I'm Like A Bird" :D


Unless the weird RnB stuff is scheduled to play later in the day, I'm going to assume for now they are gone and that the ratings for the past few weeks went down and Tim spent yesterday and Monday taking them out.
Fingers crossed


Music is my life.

User avatar
Steve79
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 pm

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by Steve79 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 am

Listening now.... STILL very heavy R&B. RONI - BOBBY BROWN is playing now! This needs to go!
What happened to artists like Richard Marx? Phil Collins? Bread?



stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Awe man, I was hoping it would stay how it was from midnight to 7:30 am when I fell asleep.
Sigh,


Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic