Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jessica Starr RIP

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Y M Ionhere

Re: Jessica Starr RIP

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 am

Seeing these responses from other people that deal with depression actually gives me hope. This is a small group and if this many people go through it just here, that means there are likely several people that understand it wherever we go. We no longer have to feel like pychos or freaks. My wife was really upset about this news and while she doesnt fully understand depression or chemical imbalances, she had a talk with me this morning. Maybe Ms. Starr was not depresded and was instead, in deep physical pain. Even then, i have some health problems too, which sometimes arent easy to manage. She made sure to re-iterate to me that any time I get down, or upset, to talk to her-call her at work if needed. And call my parents ( who thankfully are still here and healthy). I just wish it didnt feel so taboo to discuss it with people until a high profile suicide occurs.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 am

Honestly...... I don’t think anyone is gonna be okay for a long time.

Maybe time to have a few folk swap shifts for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:33 am

Seeing these responses from other people that deal with depression actually gives me hope. This is a small group and if this many people go through it just here, that means there are likely several people that understand it wherever we go. We no longer have to feel like pychos or freaks. My wife was really upset about this news and while she doesnt fully understand depression or chemical imbalances, she had a talk with me this morning. Maybe Ms. Starr was not depressed and was instead, in deep physical pain. Even then, i have some health problems too, which sometimes arent easy to manage. She made sure to re-iterate to me that any time I get down, or upset, to talk to her-call her at work if needed. And call my parents ( who thankfully are still here and healthy). I just wish it didnt feel so taboo to discuss it with people until a high profile suicide occurs.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 am

Obviously it’s now becoming a top-of-mind topic... the only question is how do we keep it there?

This isn’t a recent thing...... it’s been going on for years.

Hang in there........ you’ve got friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm

For most of my life depression has been a pretty abstract concept for me.
But in recent months my younger brother has begun to suffer depression rather seriously and to date his medical advisors have not found any medications that seem to help. Age wise he is 14 months younger than me. I'm soon to be 67 he is 65 and our older brother is 74. We all live in Ann Arbor and I talk with my older brother regularly about it but we don't really know what we can do to help.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

The cornea is full of pain receptors, and this new procedure goes much deeper into the cornea than regular LASIK. There may be a genetic or individual variability in the distribution of these nerve endings, explaining why some people are having severe problems and others not so severe. This comment is a combination of scientific fact, opinion, and speculation, but I think it is a fair explanation of why this happened.

Another thing is, we have become a society obsessed with personal appearance, and this has led to many elective surgery risks. If you are considering elective surgery of any type, particularly for appearance, think very long and hard before proceeding. And I would extend that to botox and body art as well.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Daypart wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Looks like it was a hanging:
http://extratv.com/2018/12/13/new-detai ... s-suicide/
I'm not sure I'd put complete trust in RadarOnline but assuming they are right I've never pictured hanging as a way to go out. Same with jumping.

I no longer directly engage trolls

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:59 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 pm
Daypart wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Looks like it was a hanging:
http://extratv.com/2018/12/13/new-detai ... s-suicide/
I'm not sure I'd put complete trust in RadarOnline but assuming they are right I've never pictured hanging as a way to go out. Same with jumping.
They are. Very very sad.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 pm

WWJ was saying the suicide was due to lasik surgery. Kinda confused on that.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Surgery==>Chronic Pain==>Suicide==>Death. Still a stretch to report without an explanation of the logic. Tragic, any way you report it. :(

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm

What an awful tragedy. I truly feel for her family. I hope Jessica Starr's family can properly grieve and celebrate her life.

This personally hits close to home, and what I am about to discuss is what I typically say when we hear of a high profile suicide when people want to pass judgement on the victim. Yes, victim.

As someone who struggled with depression myself for 15+ years (thankfully recovered), suicide is nothing to be taken lightly. While I appreciate and need those who are sympathetic, those who have never had those awful feelings will never truly understand depression and thoughts of suicide. You can't rationalize it, and you can't prevent it by saying things like it's cowardly, you appear so happy so you shouldn't die by suicide, or that it's morally wrong. The reason is because that type of argument doesn't work on someone with a mental illness caused by a chemical imbalance. Similar to a disease like cancer, where the body attacks itself and the body can't survive it, it's no different with depression where a chemical imbalance, which makes you UNABLE to "see" clearly and rationally, ultimately affects your brain to control your body to take your life. It could even be worse because this illness actually convinces you that this is the right thing to do. The way you can help is to offer support to help guide someone through their depression to full recovery. Try to save them from this illness which has the potential to take a life. Listen, empathize, learn to be kind to them, allow them to trust that you'll support them from these invisible forces.

I actually saw someone accuse Jessica Starr of being a coward, and what a terrible act against her family. It was disgusting. While yes, it is a tragedy, being a person who accuses someone with this illness actually cuts off the line of communication and avenue for help. If you're tempted to pass judgement (and Bible verses like this awful human being did to condemn to hell this poor, ill soul), you are spreading the illness because you're helping convince a depressed person (and others) that they have a horrible character flaw and that the solution is not to talk about it. That is wrong, and counter-productive. If you're emotionally healthy, feel lucky that you don't have an illness that could get in your brain to convince you otherwise.

An alternative theory is that Jessica Starr was in horrible pain. Pain can make people do horrible things. Each person has horrible things they're dealing with in life, sometimes a horrible combination of certain items can drive people to otherwise unthinkable actions.

If you're struggling with depression, I understand. There is nothing wrong with your character, or who you are. You are wonderful in your own perfect way, and if I can offer my experience with depression as proof, there is light at the end of the dark tunnel (quoting RayQix). Don't let the disease win. Help is available. The illness might not let you recognize your loving, support circle. The world wants you to happily survive and do great things in the world. Screw the stigma of this illness. PM me if you would like to talk.

dm00n

Post by dm00n » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm

I wonder if local media will look into these complications at all. She said she had blurred vision, dry eyes, and light sensitivity. She said she was struggling and she had tried to return to work but needed more time. Her doc said it’d take up to three months to recover and she was past that. She may have had pain, or thought she’d ruined her career. I didn’t know her, it’s possible she’d dealt with mental health issues in the past, but others reported a deep depression from failed LASIK without any prior history. Anyway, I don’t know who she saw, but there a couple docs in this field who pay a lot of advertising bills in this town.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 pm

There are new treatments for this corneal pain condition. If anyone you know has revealed this condition, PM me. If I don't respond, PM me again. Or post. We can possibly find someone that does this new treatment. I don't want to see anyone else suffer like this.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:35 pm

This was actually a relatively new procedure, not regular LASIK. The new procedure essentially involves taking out a lens shaped portion of the cornea, not just laser cuts and flaps near the outer surface of the cornea as regular LASIK does, to change the refractive power of the cornea. So it is much more "invasive" than regular LASIK, as the cornea is only about a half millimeter in thickness. Regular LASIK complications are usually just dry eye, or a sudden need for near reading glasses, which the patient might not have realized, even though they were normally informed.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic