Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Music for Old Folks

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: New Music for Old Folks

Post by Bobbert » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 pm
Pink / What About Us
The Lumineers / Ho Hey
Patti Griffin / Chief
Be You Own Pet / Bicycle Bicycle You Are My Bicycle
Demi Lovato / Cool For The Summer - Confident
Outkast / Hey Yah
Michelle Branch / All You Wanted (Agreed)
Placebo / Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush Cover)
Very interesting collection. Thank you. I listened to them all on YouTube and discovered that Pink sings another song that I really like—Just Give Me a Reason. Be Your Own Pet reminds me of the New York Thrash album that I listened to in the early 1980s (and still listen to occasionally, when I feel a little wild and crazy). Watched Demi Lovato's SNL performance of her song, and I'm still waiting for my pulse to slow down. :) Don't listen to much music like Outkast, but his sense of humor saves the song for me.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Your Welcome.

I saw Be Your Pet on Conan and they also reminded me of a good 80 alt/punk band. I think they broke up soon after that. Chief is an amazing song.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 pm

My 2 favorite P!nk songs are "Get The Party Started" and "Just Like A Pill"

Music is my life.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 am

Tman wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 am
Nothing at all. Good creative bands that interest you ears have left ,and over producing lame music with pro tools and auto tune is just a sad replacement of creativity and an insult to my ears . How many songs today would be laughed at 30 years ago ? Most all of them . Competition makes you better . Seems they can only compete with the past . And they dont come close .
I've had similar thoughts. But I think there are a lot of musicians out there who appreciate the sounds of the past and have tried to absorb them into their work. They're probably at the second level of popularity, like Roxy Music in the 1970s.

A lot of us older listeners were lucky enough to be around at the time when the modern pop sound was established, in the late 1960s. Abbey Road was a particularly important milestone, with its use of the bass and studio separation laying the groundwork for the pop sound of the 1970s. We were around to see things when they were fresh and new.

I agree, pop music was much better 30-40 years ago, as 98.7 proves with almost every song. But then I remember an episode of Peter Gunn from around 1960, when he encounters one of these new "rock and roll" bands, and asks somebody, "Whatever happened to music?"

Anyway, opening myself to newer music helps me feel a little younger. I don't follow new movies and new TV shows, but there's something eternal about music that always resonates with me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic