Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 as Restaurant Music

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

98.7 as Restaurant Music

Post by Bobbert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 pm

My local Leo's Coney Island has switched to 98.7 as its background music after switching between WNIC and 93.9. It's almost perfect music for that setting—very relaxing and atmospheric.

Have any other restaurants switched to 98.7 as their background music?

stopnswop2

Re: 98.7 as Restaurant Music

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 am

I haven't been to any lately but I can image that once businesses discover it, they will for sure flip to it.
Heck I'm even going to promote it.

Maybe we can get 12 oaks Mall to switch to it instead of their Sirius XM the Blend they have on.

My chiropractor also uses The Blend at their office. I'll give a nice suggestion of 98.7 to him.

I expect this to be very popular, as I'm pretty sure once businesses hear it, nobody will want WNIC's garbage teen pop nonsense they have been shoving down gullible listener's throats for the past 7 years.

The Breeze has put "Adult" back in Adult Contemporary. It's about damn time!

Music is my life.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 am
I haven't been to any lately but I can image that once businesses discover it, they will for sure flip to it.

Maybe we can get 12 oaks Mall to switch to it instead of their Sirius XM the Blend they have on.

My chiropractor also uses The Blend at their office. I'll give a nice suggestion of 98.7 to him.

I expect this to be very popular, as I'm pretty sure once businesses hear it, nobody will want WNIC's garbage teen pop nonsense they have been shoving down gullible listener's throats for the past 7 years.

Do I think local businesses listening to local radio would be great? Yes
Gonna happen in en masse and permanently? Nope
I rarely if ever hear that anymore. One of the reasons malls etc use garbage like Sirius? No 'You should be driving a Kia" or boner pill commercials. When those hit The Breeze, and they will, soon, it's sayonara business listening.
Last edited by armchair pd on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 am

Do I think local businesses listening to local radio would be great? Yes
Gonna happen in mass and permanently? Nope
I rarely if ever hear that anymore. One of the reasons malls etc use garbage like Sirius? No 'You should be driving a Kia" or boner pill commercials. When those hit The Breeze, and they will, soon, it's sayonara business listening.
Exactly. If terrestrial radio has any interest in a future (the jury is out on that), they need to move beyond the 10 minute commercial break and look for more creative, less intrusive ways to insert advertising. With Sirius and streaming readily available, who is going to choose to sit through countless commercials?

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am

Having not done any sort of research dive into this, a question...
Is it actually "legal" for a restaurant, retail shop, or even a Mall, to play SiriusXM content in public spaces, without payment or permission for doing so? Same for broadcast radio stations. I was of the belief that there's a whole different set of royalties involved for "public performance" in such places. Is 12 Oaks Mall in danger of a raid by the jack-booted ASCAP/BMI Royalty Police?

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 am

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am
Having not done any sort of research dive into this, a question...
Is it actually "legal" for a restaurant, retail shop, or even a Mall, to play SiriusXM content in public spaces, without payment or permission for doing so? Same for broadcast radio stations. I was of the belief that there's a whole different set of royalties involved for "public performance" in such places. Is 12 Oaks Mall in danger of a raid by the jack-booted ASCAP/BMI Royalty Police?
IIRC, it has partially to do with the number of speakers. If you have a boom box, for example, the Royalty Police can’t tag you. More than two, and installed (think ceiling speakers) then they ask for your paperwork.

SiriusXM has a commercial package available for business use that takes care of all the royalty hassle.

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

I thought FM stands for “free music”!
So, there Are actually people that there job is to go around and check ? Remember MUZAK when you needed to use a special tuner? Good times,

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Music free? Never.

And yes, ASCAP / BMI have been known to send employees to businesses and slap them with massive lawsuits for copyright infringement

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic