Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

F BOMB on The Big Circle

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
jry

F BOMB on The Big Circle

Post by jry » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 am

So, who gets fired for allowing the BIG F on the air, doing last nights 6PM Cast? Approximately 6:02. It could've been edited out with ease. The report was live, the actuality wasn't.

696lover

Re: F BOMB on The Big Circle

Post by 696lover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

First time I ever heard the word "motherfu-ker" was on local news when they didn't beep Coleman fast enough. Can't image it is easier now with few staff, more freelancing, and working from home.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 pm

I've said this before on here. Why be live? Why not do the broadcast on a delay?

Opportunity to cut out the incidental profanity like what you guys are talking about.
Opportunity to iron out technical glitches, lost feeds, etc.
No one at home is going to notice there isn't a Live Bug on the screen.
(I think the only folks that would notice are on Buzzboard, to be honest).

Still have someone at the desk right up until it's time to go off the air, in case something breaking does happen and they can cut in to the delay and tell folks about it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm

jry wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 am
So, who gets fired for allowing the BIG F on the air, doing last nights 6PM Cast? Approximately 6:02. It could've been edited out with ease. The report was live, the actuality wasn't.
The question is what do they do if the expletive is fleeting... is it still fleeting if it’s recorded and not live?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

We are becoming a very crass society. People used to have a self editor. Now even people who might be considered otherwise "nice" often curse like sailors. Music and Movies and Cable, no longer censored except for over the air broadcast versions and edits, have the entire cast of characters cursing like sailors. It was so prevalent in such series as The Sopranos, in my mind, I called it the "The MFing Sopranos". When you watch these, its bound to rub off. When you sleep with (uncared for) dogs, you wake up with fleas.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Research has shown the viewers watch more if it's live (eg, Live with Regis & Kelly, etc).

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:00 am

I’ll never forget watching Channel 7’s 5pm report back in the early 90’s when Bill Bonds was interviewing Mother Waddles. She was obviously distracted by someone off camera repeatedly and at one point during the interview yelled out “Get your motherfucking hands off of that!”. Bill apologized to the audience. After the initial shock, I couldn’t help but crack up

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am
It's quite telling that someone can drop the f-bomb on local, over-the-air television news and:

1. Nobody cares.
2. Nobody likely heard it because nobody watches local television news.
3. Nobody cares.
And 4. all of the above.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 pm

I want to see video of Bill Bonds with Mother Waddles. Off the air Sonny Elliott was a real pottymouth, but managed to keep it off of the airwaves.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm

WOHO wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 pm
I want to see video of Bill Bonds with Mother Waddles. Off the air Sonny Elliott was a real pottymouth, but managed to keep it off of the airwaves.
Sonny was hilariously dirty off the air.

Back in my newspaper days, one of my colleagues was a former sportswriter who covered the Tigers in Lakeland. After the female employees had left for the day, he told the funniest, filthiest story I had ever heard. One day during a road trip, he, Frank Beckmann and several rookie ballplayers heard a dissertation from Sparky Anderson that discussed life on the road, baseball groupies and how to determine if you should perform oral sex upon a woman whom you had only recently met.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm
WOHO wrote:

Back in my newspaper days, one of my colleagues was a former sportswriter who covered the Tigers in Lakeland. After the female employees had left for the day, he told the funniest, filthiest story I had ever heard. One day during a road trip, he, Frank Beckmann and several rookie ballplayers heard a dissertation from Sparky Anderson that discussed life on the road, baseball groupies and how to determine if you should perform oral sex upon a woman whom you had only recently met.
And...?

TC doesn't Talk

Post by TC doesn't Talk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 am

:)

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 am

JLesinski wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm
WOHO wrote:

And...?
There's no way I can do justice to the story in this forum, especially given my colleague's spot-on mimicking of Sparky's voice and mannerisms. Mere printed words can't begin to do the job.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am

Realist wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:00 am
I’ll never forget watching Channel 7’s 5pm report back in the early 90’s when Bill Bonds was interviewing Mother Waddles. She was obviously distracted by someone off camera repeatedly and at one point during the interview yelled out “Get your motherfucking hands off of that!”. Bill apologized to the audience. After the initial shock, I couldn’t help but crack up
I donated a serviceable used car to Mother Waddles about 20 years ago. They told me what it was worth as a tax deduction and the number sounded fair to me. I pulled the plate, cleaned out the car and signed over the title. A guy hauled the car away on the flatbed.

The year changed and I claimed the deduction on my taxes. A few weeks later, I got a letter from the folks at the MSP impound lot in Detroit. They said that my 1989 Nissan Sentra had been found abandoned at the corner of Lafayette and Orleans in the city. If I ponied up the fees for towing and storage, I could have the car back.

I called the number on the letterhead and explained to the man who answered that while I did own that car once upon a time, I had donated it to Mother Waddles. He replied that he checked the records from the Secretary of State office and I was still listed as the owner. I could have the car back if I paid the bill.

I told them to keep it.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:49 am

[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=618411 time=1594661824 user_id=9159]
[quote=jry post_id=618382 time=1594650638 user_id=98]
[/quote]

What was the context? Who said it?
[/quote]

Not fleeting. Was internal to the persons comments and could've been edited out or bleeped as it was recorded and delayed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic