Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What does Detroit Need?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

What does Detroit Need?

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 am

Everyone seems to have an idea 💡 of what format is needed in the “D”so why don’t we all throw some ideas out there ,now let’s try to be a little unique in our ideas and try to get away from something that has been tried and failed like for instance Variety Hits how many times it Was tried and failed once by WDRQ and then WDTW.Now I’ll get things started by saying Classic Country someone else suggested this would be a format for Nash to possibly try and I think it’s worth a shot so share some of your ideas.Remember to try to come up with something new to Detroit not something we already have or tried and failed.By the way everyone Happy Thanksgiving 🦃.

Art Van Damme

Re: What does Detroit Need?

Post by Art Van Damme » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am

“It was tried and failed once by WDRQ...”
Nope.
The change from Doug-FM to Nash, was decided by the corporate morons at Cum-U-less. Not because revenue was bad, not because ratings were in the tank, but Cum-U-less needed a station for clearance in Detroit for the Nash national ad sales.

What does Detroit need? An epiphany that in 2020 when 5G goes online and region-wide Mobile WiFi is operational, analog radio in the car will be obsolete.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 pm

A Spanish language station

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:42 pm

We have 2 on AM but we could use one on FM no doubt ,I’m Not Spanish but there is nothing wrong with diversity and radio being in the state it’s in ,I think it’s changing and eventually we may have more ethnic and religious stations on FM and maybe stations with block programming more Christian Music stations and more community radio I think The IHearts and big Corporate radio will sell to smaller broadcasters

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Don't even get me started on... 5G

😤😤😤

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am

Question? What is 5G going to do for you when the electricity is down?What is it going to do for you if your in a area where there is a hurricane and there is no internet service ,just ask the people in the fire ravaged area of California if they all have broadband and how it’s working .There is one thing that is working in theses situations it’s called RADIO it’s always there when you need it and it will always be there in the future but not 5G.Radio will be here for future generations no matter what comes along to try to replace it ,Radio always survives.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 am

I love radio, so I don't look forward to its decline or death. I'm one of radio's cheerleaders. But realistically, to respond to the comments above... For rare emergencies, sure radio can be helpful if stations choose to be helpful. But every-day listeners are still going to find alternative methods to access content (streaming, etc) regardless of if radio can be helpful in an emergency unless radio can maintain relevance during non-emergency periods. The contrary argument is like saying we should not use e-mail and should continue writing letters via snailmail because the possibility exists that email may go down.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am
Question? What is 5G going to do for you when the electricity is down?What is it going to do for you if your in a area where there is a hurricane and there is no internet service ,just ask the people in the fire ravaged area of California if they all have broadband and how it’s working .There is one thing that is working in theses situations it’s called RADIO it’s always there when you need it and it will always be there in the future but not 5G.Radio will be here for future generations no matter what comes along to try to replace it ,Radio always survives.
RadioKev with all due respect: that was a discussion in 1998, not 2018. Cell phone networks have multiple back-up power sources built. You want to use the California fires as an example? There is nothing left. People had to evacuate before the fire. It’s a moot discussion.

No, radio may not be around in the form as we know it today. Television from 1980 is gone, yet it continues in a digital, non-backward compatible system. Shortwave radio will be gone, too.

Back-up systems have been taken into consideration more so now with new infrastructure. Your cell service now is as reliable as your wall phone was back in the 70s

John Kasich is a liar. What's good for Ohio is NOT good for Michigan.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Back-up systems have been taken into consideration more so now with new infrastructure. Your cell service now is as reliable as your wall phone was back in the 70s
With one BIG difference. You NEVER lost your wall phone. I spend so much time looking for my portable landline phones and cell phones and other devices. Losing just one in a day is a good day.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 am

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm

With one BIG difference. You NEVER lost your wall phone. I spend so much time looking for my portable landline phones and cell phones and other devices. Losing just one in a day is a good day.
Sounds like Father Time has caught up to A M. I know that feeling too.

Tman

Post by Tman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:47 am

Radio Gumbo . Throw all genres older hits,not necessarily number ones, in a pot and hit shuffle .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

A station which doesn't blast reactionary propaganda 24 hours a day ala WJR,"The HATE Voice Of The Great Lakes."

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:36 am

In response to Art Van ,first of all it’s to bad that all those people lost everything I feel sorry for them and Thank God Every day for everything I have, but I’m just saying that in catastrophic situations like the hurricanes and any other types of emergencies radio has always and will be there because not everyone has to have access to it in order for it to reach masses of people as far as cell phones and internet connections are concerned how long does a cell battery last a day a week who knows but with radio someone always has one that works and as far as the radio stations go if no one is broadcasting in an area it’s still possible that you could receive one from 100’s of miles away at least on AM.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 am

We’re at a point that not everybody has a radio anymore, or thinks of a radio for emergency communication.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Fewer clueless posters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic