Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze (Soft AC) is here!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14888

Re: 98.7 The Breeze (Soft AC) is here!

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm

The rotation is around 7-9 hours on most songs which is the same formula (but different format) that The Big 104 has, I hear repeats on both stations centered around the 8 hour average, not a good thing when your covering 6 Decades of music.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm
The rotation is around 7-9 hours on most songs which is the same formula (but different format) that The Big 104 has, I hear repeats on both stations centered around the 8 hour average, not a good thing when your covering 6 Decades of music.
Oh wow, that's certainly not how it used to be on WOMC.
I stopped listening after the station went 80s crazy, but back then there was just enough songs to have zero repeats, and the playlist appeared to almost just reshuffle itself at midnight.

That's such a shame to hear it's resorted to 8 hour rotations. But I guess that should be expected on a station trying to focus solely on one decade of music.

The Breeze is playing SIX Decades though, so there is absolutely no excuse to be hearing songs 3 or 4 times a day

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Agreed, Now what I see eventually happening (But I could be wrong) is they may cut back on 60’s and 70’s titles but only time will tell, let’s face it 6 Decades to cover is like 3 generations something has to give it will be tough to please 3 generations, you either cut back 60’s and 70’s or 2K’s and 2K10’s adjustments need to be made. What I would do is 70’s, 80’s and a Little More 90’s

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Well currently the post 2k songs are maybe only a half a dozen, which is good.
The station is targeting an older audience who might occasionlly enjoy a recent soft title a few times a day.
It's exactly how it should be, unlike WNIC who's annoying set list goes like this: 80s song, current song, 80s, current.
That is why I don't listen to WNIC.

I hope the Breeze does NOT remove the 60s and 70s music and resort to that. We dont need another modern trash excuse for an AC station

Music is my life.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:35 am
Ed Joseph wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 pm
98.1 The Breeze in S.F. switched to this format THREE YEARS ago, and they are still an "oh wow" station to me. The PD actually cares about the station and keeps the oh wow songs in, and ADDS to the playlist.
That's SF. This is Detroit. Detroit radio is, at best, bland, dead and totally stale

So because this is Detroit, our stations have to sound stale?
What kind of insane logic is that ?

The stations don't sound stale "because it's Detroit". They sound stale due to incompetent staff programming them.
Whatever the reasoning, the end result is the same. Detroit radio is crap anymore. It's like nobody cares. Maybe decent radio people just don't want to work in the market? I really don't know, but there's very little "spark" in Detroit radio. Everything is so generic and just boring, and this came about in the last 15 years. There are far better stations in smaller markets. Flint is another market that is stale as hell, but Cu owns most of the stations here, and I swear nobody cares at all about that cluster. The best one is 103.9 the Fox, but they've been adding a lot of later 90's "Xanax rock" and grungy stuff lately. I never cared much for the majority of post-1990 rock. The stuff I do like from that era didn't chart well and never gets played much, if at all.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm
Let's kidnap KISQ's PD and bring him to Detroit :lol :lol
Please do! I'd love to hear a station where *somebody* has some passion for music and radio instead of just "upload the playlist and ignore the station". There is way too much of that on the dial now.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 am
He was pointing out the current state of radio in Detroit... he didn’t say that this being Detroit was the cause.
Yeah, exactly, and it's by no means limited to Detroit. It's everywhere the big corporations own stations. They seem to treat radio stations no different than a fast food restaurant or dollar store. The core of what makes good radio just isn't there in most cases.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm
No offense whatsover to Tim, as he is great at his job, I just feel that if a PD is very passionate about a format, they shouldn't need to be taking suggestions. They should just know already that those songs work.
He is a country fan and focuses all his attention on WYCD.
I have no ill feelings toward Tim, so please don't take it that way. The fact he is doing what he's doing is refreshing.

But the last sentence there is where the issue resides. One music director programming several stations leads to burn out. Burn out leads to stale radio. But that's how it is in the present corporate radio environment. Ten managers above one guy working his ass off while said managers dictate what he can and can't play. Music radio really shouldn't be ran that way.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 pm
Agreed, Now what I see eventually happening (But I could be wrong) is they may cut back on 60’s and 70’s titles but only time will tell, let’s face it 6 Decades to cover is like 3 generations something has to give it will be tough to please 3 generations, you either cut back 60’s and 70’s or 2K’s and 2K10’s adjustments need to be made. What I would do is 70’s, 80’s and a Little More 90’s
This! The problem is, all decades have a ton of totally burnt out songs that people are tired of hearing, and a ton of songs consultants think will run your audience off because they didn't sit at #1 for a month and a half. I feel just the opposite is true. I've heard stations where the playlist is so tight you can set your watch by when they play a certain song by Journey. I hear stations that rotate songs about every 3 hours, and they're not even programming recurrents or currents! Many Classic Rock stations suffer from this. 500 song "oldies" stations literally killed themselves off because of this.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Just out of curiosity... what would you rather hear, a song you've heard non-stop for the last 30 years, or a song you haven't heard in decades? What about a song you never heard at all? Radio has lost it's sense of "discovery" almost completely. Remember, a lot of people 40 and under really don't care much for "their" generation's music, especially currents.

Why do I see so many late-teens to thirty-somethings digging crates of old vinyl? Because they want to hear something "fresh" even if it *is* 47 years old. I think it would be in radio's best interest to cater to these listeners a bit more. I'd bet you, if you looked at 1000 personal playlists of people under 40, you're going to find very few of the songs consultants consider "staples" on those playlists. Is radio not indeed competing with the likes of iTunes, Spotify and other online sources of music? Why do people use digital music sources? I'd bet the answer "to get away from the same old 400 songs the radio plays"tops the list. I could be wrong, but I *shouldn't* be! The staleness of radio is what is driving listeners to other sources, and the deplorable audio quality of most stations only makes the exodus worse IMO.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:44 pm

I do not want to hear a song that's played nonstop for 30 years.
I want to hear the stuff I have not heard in ages and I miss.

I can't understand how radio execs think people want to hear the same 3 Journey songs year after year.
"Don't Stop Believing"... if they dont stop playing it then I will stop believing, lol.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:44 pm
I do not want to hear a song that's played nonstop for 30 years.
I want to hear the stuff I have not heard in ages and I miss.

I can't understand how radio execs think people want to hear the same 3 Journey songs year after year.
"Don't Stop Believing"... if they dont stop playing it then I will stop believing, lol.
Google is your friend... I converted to using YouTube to play what I want when I want... its way better than any radio person could possibly make it...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

I decided to put on the station tonight, and they have added to the slogan.

The word "new" was not there and it was "987 The Breeze, soft relaxing favorites at work, or when you're not at work and you're home relaxing".
Lol what?
Why not just start saying "Detroit's Home For Relaxing Favorites" or even just "Detroit's relaxing favorites" instead of all that

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

The word "new" was not there and it was "987 The Breeze, soft relaxing favorites at work, or when you're not at work and you're home relaxing".
Lol what?
Why not just start saying "Detroit's Home For Relaxing Favorites" or even just "Detroit's relaxing favorites" instead of all that
Face it... they are programming this just to watch you post about it...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

Lol what?
Face it... they are programming this just to watch you post about it...
Lmao

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic