Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
nick_a727
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by nick_a727 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Until a few years back, Comcast viewers in Holly -- in Northwestern Oakland County -- fumed when their in-market Detroit channels were blacked out by the out-of-market Flint / Tri's stations; this was because the headend for Comcast in Holly was based in Flint. This would later be changed when the headend source for Holly was switched, with Detroit channels replacing Flint's (except WJRT and WCMZ).
Also, WAQP 49 the independent religious station in Saginaw escaped from Flint/Tri-Cities channel deletion on Comcast Holly channel 10.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by TheForce » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 am

I get both 9&10 and TV5 here south of Grayling on Charter Cable. 9&10 is in HD and TV5 isn't full screen.



organman95
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by organman95 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:29 am

Fingerboard Corners wrote: The WPBN 7/WTOM 4 NBC network head ends and microwave links were fascinating, although never 100% reliable during tropospheric events. They had the WOOD-TV 8 head end near Stanwood, and the WNEM-TV 5 head end South of Barryton. When the Weather Bugs were on 5 and 8, you could tell which head end was being used. Of course, these usually became unreliable about the same time when storms came through and affected the troposphere.

At one time, WTOM also had an off air antenna for WPBN, and at one time even an off air antenna for WNEM East of Cheboygan. When tropospheric events were happening, WNEM would occasionally be the only off air signal that worked.
Those off-air antennas and microwave links must have been removed by the late 80s or early 90s. I grew up in Cheboygan in the 90s, and remember WTOM losing carrier many times during (what I now know are) tropospheric events. As I recall, that eventually got better after Raycom Media bought 7&4 in 1997. The fun part was the phone book still had a Cheboygan phone number for the WTOM "newsroom" that people would try to call when that happened, and of course there wasn't anyone to answer the phone.
TheForce wrote:I get both 9&10 and TV5 here south of Grayling on Charter Cable. 9&10 is in HD and TV5 isn't full screen.
I lived in Houghton Lake from '09-13. I thought Charter had an HD feed for TV5? I rarely watched the Saginaw stations, so I could be wrong....



ftballfan
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by ftballfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

nick_a727 wrote:
Until a few years back, Comcast viewers in Holly -- in Northwestern Oakland County -- fumed when their in-market Detroit channels were blacked out by the out-of-market Flint / Tri's stations; this was because the headend for Comcast in Holly was based in Flint. This would later be changed when the headend source for Holly was switched, with Detroit channels replacing Flint's (except WJRT and WCMZ).
Also, WAQP 49 the independent religious station in Saginaw escaped from Flint/Tri-Cities channel deletion on Comcast Holly channel 10.
Religious independents and PBS members are exempt from SyndEx as far as I know (for example, WCMZ is carried in most of Oakland County and parts of other Detroit area counties)

I think Lapeer (in the Detroit market) still gets the full set of Flint/Tri-Cities market stations on cable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



ftballfan
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by ftballfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Fingerboard Corners wrote: The WPBN 7/WTOM 4 NBC network head ends and microwave links were fascinating, although never 100% reliable during tropospheric events. They had the WOOD-TV 8 head end near Stanwood, and the WNEM-TV 5 head end South of Barryton. When the Weather Bugs were on 5 and 8, you could tell which head end was being used. Of course, these usually became unreliable about the same time when storms came through and affected the troposphere.
Out of curiosity, if neither WNEM nor WOOD are working, or if both were pre-empting NBC for a special or for sports (such as the Tigers), did WPBN / WTOM have a third source for NBC (such as WFRV Green Bay or WTMJ Milwaukee)? Or in terms of scheduled pre-emptions from both sources, did they receive advance copies of what was scheduled that night from NBC?
Fingerboard Corners wrote: Anyone with any stories about Sporadic E events taking out the Low VHF head end sources like WWJ/WDIV 4 and WNEM 5?
Don't know for certain, but by 1978, WNEM received the straight NBC network feed via microwave through WWJ / WDIV, only using the channel 4 signal itself for Tigers. That year, I went with my Cub Scout den to WNEM's then-current Becker Road studios, where we toured the facilities, including the master control and the news sets.
WFRV/WLUK (both were NBC in Green Bay at times pre-New World) and WTMJ both had cable carriage along the shoreline in the olden days, so I would guess that WPBN would have been able to pick up one of them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



MasterB
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by MasterB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Cablevision in Kalamazoo had WKBD in 80's I think it was taken off in maybe fall of 93 not sure on that as I didn't have Cablevision at the time. I know it wasn't on in 96 it was channel 10. WGN, TBS.

Adelphia Cable which my parents sign on in 88 or 89 had WNDU, WSBT out of South Bend, FOX47 out of Lansing, WWOR, WGN, TBS. I wanted remote control that Suckyvsion oh I mean Cablevision didn't have a remote control.


Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

ftballfan
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by ftballfan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:07 am

MasterB wrote:Cablevision in Kalamazoo had WKBD in 80's I think it was taken off in maybe fall of 93 not sure on that as I didn't have Cablevision at the time. I know it wasn't on in 96 it was channel 10. WGN, TBS.

Adelphia Cable which my parents sign on in 88 or 89 had WNDU, WSBT out of South Bend, FOX47 out of Lansing, WWOR, WGN, TBS. I wanted remote control that Suckyvsion oh I mean Cablevision didn't have a remote control.
Grand Rapids (TCI) had KBD on Channel 18 (shared with C-SPAN2) all the way until WXSP came on (it may have left for a while and then came back when it picked up UPN)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by mtburb » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 pm

My up-north place in Skidway Lake (far southern Ogemaw County, so far south part of it borders Arenac County) has Charter and it has all of the Big Four from both Traverse City and Flint. All of the carried subchannels originate from Flint as Skidway Lake is, in fact, in the Flint DMA even though it's far to the north past the line where the rural domination changes from farms to forests. No blackouts, though only the Flint locals are full screen. 7/4 is surrounded by black bars on all sides and 9/10 has black bars on the sides. That's as of July (when I spent a couple days there) though, not sure if it's changed since.


My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Detroit TV on Cable in Flint

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:08 pm

ftballfan wrote: Grand Rapids (TCI) had KBD on Channel 18 (shared with C-SPAN2) all the way until WXSP came on (it may have left for a while and then came back when it picked up UPN)
Was CSPAN2 used as syndex filler?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic