Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

CKSL 1410 London Ontario to go dark

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
darcyh

CKSL 1410 London Ontario to go dark

Post by darcyh » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 pm

From the CRTC submission:

Bell Media is the licensee of CKSL-AM 1410, assuming stewardship of the station in 2013 as part of the Astral Media acquisition.

A technical review of the transmitter site was recently completed both by Bell Media and contractors, which has resulted in the determination that the AM array poses an unacceptable risk from a health and safety perspective. The five towers are experiencing serious structural degradation and also require repairs to the aviation safety lighting system. In addition, the building which houses the transmitter has shifted off its foundation (as have several of the individual tower sheds).

Given these problems, Bell Media would need to make a significant financial investment to bring CKSL-AM’s transmitter up to compliance with Human Resources Development Canada, Industry Canada and NavCanada operational codes and standards, all of which is estimated to exceed $3 million dollars.

From a market perspective, CKSL-AM has consistently ranked last out of all ten commercial stations in the London market, both in audience share and revenue generation, over the last several years. In fact, since 2013 the London market has seen radio revenues drop 4% and CKSL-AM generates the least amount of revenue of the stations in the market. Even with a significant investment in programming, this trend is unlikely to be reversed.

In light of the significant capital costs coupled with the absence of revenue and audience share, Bell Media is respectfully requesting the revocation of the CKSL licence.

Marcus

Re: CKSL 1410 London Ontario to go dark

Post by Marcus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Sixty years of history is about to come to an end. From 1987 up until 1993 this was the only Top 40 radio station in London. The night time signal was always a problem for them, however. Sharing a channel with Dayton, Grand Rapids, and Dunkirk, NY resulted in a high N.I.F. factor. I doubt that Ontario will have another broadcast at 1410 kHz again.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 pm

WNWZ 1410 Grand Rapids is over 200 miles away, and only uses 48 watts at night. WRMN 1410 Elgin, IL would be a bigger Nighttime factor. Kind of sad anyway.

I always found it strange that both London, ON and Dayton, OH had stations on 980, 1290, and 1410. Although I am sure that other larger cities share three freqeuncies, I don't think two other medium sized cities are as unique in this matter on Regional Channels.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Given the right owner and the right format, 1410 could have had enough listeners and a modest profit. But as the station is dead last in ratings and listeners, it was saddled with a format with a general poor performance record (all-comedy radio), it has a transmitter requiring expensive fixes, and the fact that Bell Media's broadcasting properties are performing in the red (they applied with the CRTC to shutter 40 rebroadcasters of its CTV and CTV Two stations), CKSL is the latest "sacrificial cow" in Bell's stable.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 pm

According to the above link, CHAM in Hamilton, another Bell station with a comedy format, is also in the perennial basement, with ratings as low as 0.1%. One wonders if they will soon be on the block as well, or if they would do like CKSL and walk the license back to Ottawa and sell the station for parts.

Besides CKSL and CHAM, Bell owns one other comedy station: CKMX in Calgary, though they, too, are probably experiencing basement ratings.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:41 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
According to the above link, CHAM in Hamilton, another Bell station with a comedy format, is also in the perennial basement, with ratings as low as 0.1%. One wonders if they will soon be on the block as well, or if they would do like CKSL and walk the license back to Ottawa and sell the station for parts.

Besides CKSL and CHAM, Bell owns one other comedy station: CKMX in Calgary, though they, too, are probably experiencing basement ratings.
The Kowch Media link also has ratings for Windsor (Canadians only) and 89X is behind Chatham-based CKUE (ouch!)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:12 pm

Both Funny 820 and TSN Radio 1150 have low ratings. Bell media might sell them, but I doubt they will be tossed aside altogether in the near future. Hamilton and the nearby Halton Region have a combined population of over one million people. The signals of these two radio stations cover that area quite easily.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Why doesn't 1410 just diplex a single tower with another station, making them essentially omnidirectional with less power?
It would keep the 1410 license in town until they can figure out what to do with it?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:14 pm

CKSL to fold this Sunday 8/14 at Midnight:

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/acqu ... 004123682/

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:14 am

I am posting from Stratford, Ontario, where my wife and I are celebrating out 24th wedding anniversary. I listened to 1410 for a couple of minutes yesterday. Nothing compelling.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic