All accepted registrations through February 15, 2019 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Nash fm 93-1 WDRQ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Steve79

Nash fm 93-1 WDRQ

Post by Steve79 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:35 am

I decided to switch things up this year for Christmas music. I came across 93.1 and noticed that the on-air DJs are identifying the radio station as "Nash FM 93-1 WDRQ" with the call letters! I thought maybe this was a one time thing for some reason. But then I have it on today and the same thing. I really like it!

stopnswop2

Re: Nash fm 93-1 WDRQ

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Makes me think a possible change coming soon

Music is my life.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:12 am

We could only hope..... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image>>RayQix<<Image

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:46 am

Detroit's NASH isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The NASH "network" has succeeded with national spot buys even with low ratings in most markets. The ratings go up like NY WNSH in nearby Morristown, NJ #4 in the market with 5.0. Adding the call letters also makes sense. To my knowledge every other station in town incorporates the call letters in their identity.

RDO

Post by RDO » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:42 am

LouPerry wrote:To my knowledge every other station in town incorporates the call letters in their identity.
Well your knowledge is pretty incomplete, because none of these stations do:
  • 92.3 Mix
  • 95.5 Channel
  • 97.1 The Ticket
  • 98.7 Amp Radio
  • 102.7 Praise
  • 105.1 Detroit Sports
  • 105.9 Kiss
  • 107.5 Hot

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:17 pm

The new sweepers suck. They sound low budget. The production quality isn't even in the same league as the material voiced by Scott Fisher.

They do not belong on a major market station...or even a medium market station. They truly sound *that* bad. They sound like something lifted from a station in Mansfield or Adrian.

I also don't like the inclusion of the call letters. It makes the ID's sound extremely clunky. Why does the station need TWO brands? It makes no sense. Pick one or the other.

Can we all agree that singer Adam Levine is a douche? :razz

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:49 pm

I vote to send them to Adrian.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Heck, Adrian wins 'small market station of the year' every damn year- WDRQ can't do that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:03 am

WLEN's air talent is lousy and their production values are equally as poor. There are numerous small town stations out there who follow a similar model. I hear some of them when driving through Ohio. I think they keep winning that honor as a goof and nothing more.

There are plenty of stations out there in unranked markets who deliver a product that is superior to WLEN's.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 am

I really wish they'd stop doing this. Talk about tarnishing some great heritage calls. WDRQ always makes me think of Top 40/CHR/Rythymic AC, not a low-budget, half-assed bro-country format. Makes about as much sense as WRIF being used for an urban format.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Nash FM is a joke, pure and simple. Nothing like hearing a "Country for Life" sweeper going into a Jason Mraz song or something from Taylor Swift's "1989" album. Guess they haven't gotten the memo that Taylor wants nothing to do with country any more. Can't wait for them to add a Nicki Minaj record and try to claim that as country. Hearing such country legends as Mariah Carey and Andy Williams played during the holiday season was even better.

As for WLEN, their unpolished nature is exactly why I like that station. It may not have the slickest imaging or automation, they may be using dated jingles, and the night guy may have a tendency to talk on and on about nothing for minutes at a stretch, but I hear a lot more heart in them than in any big- or medium-market station with a 300-song corporate playlist and out-of-town personalities.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:27 pm

ChrisKun2K5 wrote:Nash FM is a joke, pure and simple. Nothing like hearing a "Country for Life" sweeper going into a Jason Mraz song or something from Taylor Swift's "1989" album. Guess they haven't gotten the memo that Taylor wants nothing to do with country any more. Can't wait for them to add a Nicki Minaj record and try to claim that as country. Hearing such country legends as Mariah Carey and Andy Williams played during the holiday season was even better.

As for WLEN, their unpolished nature is exactly why I like that station. It may not have the slickest imaging or automation, they may be using dated jingles, and the night guy may have a tendency to talk on and on about nothing for minutes at a stretch, but I hear a lot more heart in them than in any big- or medium-market station with a 300-song corporate playlist and out-of-town personalities.
So then you must hold a contrary opinion to many people on here. You must think it's great that a station stick to the same 20 songs over and over again. You must disagree with those who thought radio was great back in the day when DJs ventured outside of their genres. You must look back in horror at the fact that back in the 1980's a top 40 station dared dedicate an entire evening, on the weekend no less, to a DJ that dared play soul and funk and other things that clearly were not Top 40 at all, and you scoff at the tens of thousands of people that, to this day, look back at those times not with disgust, but with actual nostalgia.

Pardon my sarcasm, maybe I laid it on a little thick, but c'mon. People that listen to country probably still enjoy the occasional Christmas song now and then. And I've always argued that Taylor Swift never really was true country, but that aside, just because she's shifted toward a pop sound doesn't mean that her 'country' fans no longer like her music. Based on her album sales and singles charting, I'm going to assume just the opposite and figure that many people who liked her as 'country' still like her stuff today.

I've seen the badmouthing of Nash from Day 1, with the main argument that I can see being "It's not 99.5". Very true, but here I always thought we wanted more stations that didn't sound exactly alike.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Need more DUKE FM stations around.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 am

I've seen the badmouthing of Nash from Day 1, with the main argument that I can see being "It's not 99.5". Very true, but here I always thought we wanted more stations that didn't sound exactly alike.
No - I've badmouthed them because the station's syndicated morning & evening shows are garbage, their billboard campaign was executed extremely poorly, and in the station's first year on the air, the song repetition was of epic proportions.

During the past six to nine months, I will say the music selection on the station has improved considerably. I also enjoy the local air talent the station features. It's just too bad that the morning show consists (largely) of piped-in bullshit from Nashville.

The station desperately tries to conceal the fact the morning show is non-local and seldom refers to it by its real name (America's Morning Show) during promos & teases. Their PD apparently understands -- correctly, I might add -- that this is a liability.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 am

TheForce wrote:Need more DUKE FM stations around.
agreed, there be too few listeners in detroit, but then again itd be like doug fm and manage itself

for now, im grateful to get 94.1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic