All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

89x

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

89x

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

While driving today, I happened across 89x, and apparently they're now using "Everything Alternative" in their imaging. Anyone else catch this, and what's up with this positioner?

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

RingtailedFox

Re: 89x

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm

i think it's to try to pull in the indie/college rock crowd now, since WRIF ate their lunch (by snagging Dave and Chuck the Freak) and moving from classic heavy metal to a more modern sound with newer metal acts from the 2000s to today... they have little else going for them becuase their owners (Bell Radio) are too cheap to even pay attention, let alone sign actual talent or play music that people want (within CANCON limits, of course)... if they go full 70s/80s punk (like The Ramones and Sex Pistols), then you know they've become insanely desperate. With some tweaking of their music and format, their 100 kW blowtorch at 88.7 MHz could become very popular once again...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Why couldn't they become popular again?

Is there a rule that says that they can't? :D

Image>>RayQix<<Image

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:26 pm

That's just it: they CAN become popular again. they just need to put some effort into it and get creative.

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:53 pm

They CAN be a decent station again if Bell Media would know what theyre doing and get their heads out of their ass.And spend some friggin money, this monopoly has tons.

First thing I would do would be to hire Tony Labrie/WWBN 101.5 Flint to program this monster.He deserves a chance in a bigger market.Call Jay Hud's mom and tell her the bad news.

Second dump the crap theyre playing and stick to Hard Alt. WITHOUT the 80's hair bands.Mix in heavy hall of famers like Pantera,old Tallica,Megadeth,Danzig,Slayer etc. Detroit loves heavy rock. Period.Go head to head with WRIF.The modern rock format is dead.Leave it to their sister station 93.9.

Third....Show Cal & Co. the other door and simulacast the Morning Hangover from 100.7 the Viper Troy Mo. suburb of St.LOUIS. Ive lsitened to these guys on the Simple Radio app and love these guys.They would go over in Detroit.They are way funnier than D&C.Detroit would love them.

http://viperrocks.com/

Does 89suX have the ballz????

Graduate of the Crankin Craig School of Broadcasting

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:04 am

windsor wrote:Second dump the crap theyre playing and stick to Hard Alt. WITHOUT the 80's hair bands.Mix in heavy hall of famers like Pantera,old Tallica,Megadeth,Danzig,Slayer etc. Detroit loves heavy rock. Period.Go head to head with WRIF.The modern rock format is dead.Leave it to their sister station 93.9.
I think they should dump the Metallica/hard rock and return to their roots as a modern rock/progressive format. I can hear Metallica something like 3 times an hour on WRIF. In fact, WRIF ruined Metallica and most hard rock for me. I spent my tween and teen years as a devout 89X listener because that's where I could listen to bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Nirvana, Cowboy Junkies, Beck, and one of the bands in a 3-way tie for my all-time favorite group ever... REM. 89X's appeal to me and I believe to many other listeners is that they played music that had no other place on the radio. It was too heavy for adult contemporary/pop stations, and too alternative/college rock-ish for regular rock stations. And since the 90s are very much back in again, 89X could make a killing by digging back into their early-mid 1990s grunge era library(I don't mean just grunge rock exclusively either). I think they could attract a lot of listeners both younger and older by cashing in on 90s nostalgia because young millenials are embracing it as a trend and that trend is causing those of Generation X to wax nostalgic for the music of their high school and college years.

dm00n

Post by dm00n » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:41 am

Love Pink wrote:...I spent my tween and teen years as a devout 89X listener because that's where I could listen to bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Nirvana, Cowboy Junkies, Beck, and one of the bands in a 3-way tie for my all-time favorite group ever... REM...
I agree with this completely, but my conclusion is different. 89x (and WRIF for that matter) need to hire young people. They need younger people programming the music and on the air. I don't think 89x should become the channel of 20+ year old music, but that would be better than what they play now. They've ruined the channel with the new craprock that WRIF also plays. I'd like to hear some good new music, I know it is out there somewhere. They can sprinkle in some 'classic' alt stuff.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:27 pm

I think hair metal belongs on 106.7 The D... they seem to be going all-in for 80s nostalgia for people that grew up with it and love it.... that's a good thing since WRIF can clean out its "dinosaur rock" and hair metal songs from its playlist, and 89X can do the same, leaving the 70s-to-early 90s stuff for 106.7 and 94.7 WCSX to fight over. That would eliminate one or two potential competitors for WRIF and 89X, allowing them to go head-to-head again over alternative rock/modern rock/active rock/whatever stuff from 2000 onward's called these days.

windsor

Post by windsor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Love Pink wrote:
windsor wrote:Second dump the crap theyre playing and stick to Hard Alt. WITHOUT the 80's hair bands.Mix in heavy hall of famers like Pantera,old Tallica,Megadeth,Danzig,Slayer etc. Detroit loves heavy rock. Period.Go head to head with WRIF.The modern rock format is dead.Leave it to their sister station 93.9.
I think they should dump the Metallica/hard rock and return to their roots as a modern rock/progressive format. I can hear Metallica something like 3 times an hour on WRIF. In fact, WRIF ruined Metallica and most hard rock for me. I spent my tween and teen years as a devout 89X listener because that's where I could listen to bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Nirvana, Cowboy Junkies, Beck, and one of the bands in a 3-way tie for my all-time favorite group ever... REM. 89X's appeal to me and I believe to many other listeners is that they played music that had no other place on the radio. It was too heavy for adult contemporary/pop stations, and too alternative/college rock-ish for regular rock stations. And since the 90s are very much back in again, 89X could make a killing by digging back into their early-mid 1990s grunge era library(I don't mean just grunge rock exclusively either). I think they could attract a lot of listeners both younger and older by cashing in on 90s nostalgia because young millenials are embracing it as a trend and that trend is causing those of Generation X to wax nostalgic for the music of their high school and college years.
But isnt that what 93.9 the River is programming???

I have to agree that 89X needs to blow it all up, and go into Spec's and hire some young up a comers and play what teen's and 20 somethings want in a so called rock format.Kind of what Mike Halloran and 91X SanDiego prog. maybe more indie.But would it garner ratings and make money, that's the question.???

But to stay in limbo like they are as has beens isnt the way imo.

My post was being "Creative" in a format I would like to see take on Riff.Opinions differ of coarse.

Im from the old school when Detroit rock radio was much more aggressive in making needed changes.

Graduate of the Crankin Craig School of Broadcasting

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 pm

When's WCSX going to embrace themselves into the 90's, music wise?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:When's WCSX going to embrace themselves into the 90's, music wise?
They've had their best ratings in years for the last 5 or 6 books. Don't hold your breath.

proxima3

Post by proxima3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:40 am

Toledo Radio Died wrote:When's WCSX going to embrace themselves into the 90's, music wise?
Maybe it's because the 90's sucked?

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:50 am

the 1990s saw the rise of grunge, alternative rock, and a H*** resurgence in bubblegum pop (all those boy and girl bands that started in the late 1980s), along with the coming of age of hip-hop and rap music (though this was a reaction to, and at the expense of the "old guard" like punk rock, new wave/art rock/techno/electronica/synthpop, and glam rock/hair metal, which seemed to wear out their welcome by the beginnign of the early 1990s, with fans growing tired of the excesses and ubiquity of the music).

but yeah, the 1990s did suck for the most part. even as a kid and teen, i would prefer 70s and 80s music :P

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Anyone know the official start date for Drew Lane?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Smirnoff wrote:Anyone know the official start date for Drew Lane?
Yeah, that'll go over well...Gay-Per-View and American Idol talk between Fall Out Boy and Taking Back Sunday tracks. I'll be doing AM drive there before Drew.

I forgot I started this damn thread.

Anyway, where 89x has a disadvantage is that classic alternative and today's modern rock crowds don't bode well together. You couldn't have a CSX style CR station on 89x. New Politics and Charm Farm just don't sound right together. And today's modern rock is so close to pop music anyway, I've heard 9-5-5 and Amp play stuff that came from 89x. Go classic alternative, dust off some playlists from 1996 and make it happen.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic