All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Weird Things On Channel 4

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

Weird Things On Channel 4

Post by sfpcc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 am

This morning on the channel 4 news they did a report on the Trenton Scarecrow Festival. Part of it is a play production of Night Of The Living Dead. They showed two people from the cast doing lines from the show. It came of as kind of strange and silly. Did anyone else out there see this?

Deleted User 8570

Re: Weird Things On Channel 4

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:22 am

sfpcc wrote:This morning on the channel 4 news they did a report on the Trenton Scarecrow Festival. Part of it is a play production of Night Of The Living Dead. They showed two people from the cast doing lines from the show. It came of as kind of strange and silly. Did anyone else out there see this?
Sadly I missed the fun... Were these folks in costume?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:38 am

They Weren't

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:36 pm

sfpcc wrote:They Weren't
Well that's extremely odd...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:18 pm

The scariest thing on Loco 4 in the morning is Rhonda's hair.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:The scariest thing on Loco 4 in the morning is Rhonda's hair.
:lol :rollin :lol

jsf

Post by jsf » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Whatever they were doing on Loco 4 couldn't top Channel 2 where they Had Chief Craig of the DPD trying to cook some salmon and having that Charlie trying to help and bother him with his dumb ass questions. I felt sorry for the Chief but Charlie has to be the center of attention.
J.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

sfpcc wrote:This morning on the channel 4 news they did a report on the Trenton Scarecrow Festival. Part of it is a play production of Night Of The Living Dead. They showed two people from the cast doing lines from the show. It came of as kind of strange and silly.
What do you mean?... Like when David Letterman did the bit when he had a couple of his union stagehands reading Oprah’s transcripts on his show???

Its strange because channel 4’s morning franchise is a shitstorm.
I thought it hit bottom about three years ago around the time of the last summer Olympics. But, this current era of channel 4’s morning newscast is coming in at a close second for worst ever. They make 2’s and 7’s morning shows look brilliant and they aren’t.

If I was channel 4, I would just clear out the entire morning shift crew in that building and start new. All new producers, director, anchors, reporters.
Exercise whatever mentality is permeating that show and start with new blood. Get new producers, writers and desk with fresh ideas and that may have proven experience. (You can do that with the 11pm as far as I’m concerned too.)

Evrod can go to weekends or some franchise reporting 9he's got zero personality for mornings), Roux can go to weekends. And I may be in some sort of minority on here but, I like Rhonda Walker as a solid, mistake-free talent. She’s a good candidate to move to a noon and 4pm or noon and 5pm anchor shift once Ruth retires.

Jason Colthorp, Kim Gill and Steve Garagiola would be the top in-house candidates for co-anchors. If I could poach from the competition I’d take either Malcolm Maddox, Roop Raj, Alicia Smith, Taryn Asher, Amy Adams, Glenda Lewis or Anu Prakash for anchors.
I might consider taking Lauren Podell off morning reporting and having her anchor. The meteorologist would be a new hire female. Any available talent could do traffic…Jill Washburn could be a familiar hire.
I’d try to poach Fox 2’s morning EPs too and whatever out-of-town producers I could.

I’d also make the 4:30 – 7am block a straight wheel of news with heavy emphasis on weather and traffic on the :04’s. And drill those times into views heads so its as familiar as WWJ’s on the :08’s.

I’d drop the clown and pony acts and push all the crap to a one or two hour newscast starting at either 7, 8 or 9am on subchannel 4.2.

4.2 I believe should be available to about 70% of the market on cable and OTA. A 4.2 morning show could be used as a testing ground for what could work on a morning newscast or Live in the D. And give a chance for newbie producers to break-in. The Today show is losing viewers, why lose them to 2, 7, 20 and 62.
The 4.2 show could be sold in packages with the regular 4:30-7am show on 4.1 which actually might make more money for 4 then what their putrid morning ratings are doing now.
4 is slow to expand their news product. They've added a half hour of news and one hour of local morning show in the last 10 years. 2 and 7 have each more then doubled that in newscast time.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:33 pm

What do you mean?... Like when David Letterman did the bit when he had a couple of his union stagehands reading Oprah’s transcripts on his show???

That's a pretty good description of what it was.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:44 am

4's 5PM ratings tanked the last time Rhonda Walker co-anchored that newscast. Not a good idea, IMO.
I’d also make the 4:30 – 7am block a straight wheel of news with heavy emphasis on weather and traffic on the :04’s. And drill those times into views heads so its as familiar as WWJ’s on the :08’s.
The same advice can (and should) also be given to Channel 7! (Substitute :04's with :07's in their case.)
Its strange because channel 4’s morning franchise is a shitstorm.
I thought it hit bottom about three years ago around the time of the last summer Olympics.
Not sure on the exact timing, but I thought it was rock bottom when Heather Zara, Andrew Humphrey and Paula Tutman were part of the show. The version with Ama Daetz as co-anchor wasn't good, either (this was when Rhonda was doing the 5pm news).

The one near constant in all of WDIV's failed morning newscasts is Rhonda Walker, with the exception of the brief period where Ama Daetz was occupying that chair. The station has a long track record of disappointing ratings with Rhonda co-anchoring it. I'd replace her with Ruth Spencer.

As far as Charlie Langton is concerned, he does indeed come off as an attention whore. He and Huel on "Let it Rip" are unbearable. It's a contest for who can shout the loudest.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 am

Oops...before I forget:
If I could poach from the competition I’d take either Malcolm Maddox, Roop Raj, Alicia Smith, Taryn Asher, Amy Adams, Glenda Lewis or Anu Prakash for anchors.
You would seriously pair Malcom (only one "l") and Alicia on 4? Or would you only take one of those individuals? Why would you want either member of that pair? They generate no ratings on 7. Alicia Smith can be nauseating at times. Maddox stumbles too often.

Roop Raj, Glenda Lewis (will never happen - I think she will be a WXYZ lifer) and especially Anu Prakash would be good choices. I'm not completely sold on Asher or Amy Andrews, even though I personally would prefer either of those two ladies to Rhonda.

I think it's a shame Mike Woolfolk isn't anchoring in this market. He was outstanding during the brief time he anchored 7's weekend morning news.

WCPO in Cincinnati does a nice, straightforward, serious newscast in the morning. WSB-TV in Atlanta is another example that comes to mind. WSOC and WBTV in Charlotte are two others. WMAQ-TV and WLS-TV in Chicago each have outstanding morning newscasts. These are the models either 7 or 4 should be following. I mean, 7 has this *enormous* squad on the air in the morning, and 90% of them do nothing more than stand around the studio or newsroom. What a waste!!!

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 am

jsf wrote:Whatever they were doing on Loco 4 couldn't top Channel 2 where they Had Chief Craig of the DPD trying to cook some salmon and having that Charlie trying to help and bother him with his dumb ass questions. I felt sorry for the Chief but Charlie has to be the center of attention.
J.
I saw that trainwreck. If Fox 2 keeps that crap up, they needn't be surprised if they see a little dip in the ratings. While Fox 2 probably doesn't pay much attention to Sunday morning numbers, it was still an idea that needs to be dumped. They tried to be fun and hip and it didn't work. I'm sure Chief Craig is a fun guy when not on the job, but I think only maybe Jim Carrey or the late Robin Williams could come close to matching the manic energy and vocal decibels of Charlie Langton. Compared to him, everyone looks milquetoast.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 am

Charlie Langton = The Scream

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:05 pm

[quote="jsf"]Whatever they were doing on Loco 4 couldn't top Channel 2 where they Had Chief Craig of the DPD trying to cook some salmon and having that Charlie trying to help and bother him with his dumb ass questions. I felt sorry for the Chief but Charlie has to be the center of attention.
J.[/quote]

If the Chief wasn't such a gentleman, Charlie would have had his face in the grill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic