All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Some FOX 2 Ratings Press Releases...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
screen glare

Re: Some FOX 2 Ratings Press Releases...

Post by screen glare » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Hey N. What do you do all day and night? I doubt there's anyone on this board currently or in the past who would have the time to transcribe TV ratings numbers in both numerical detail and volume of categories as you have. You must be a ratings analyst guy or gal at 2, 4, or 7. Or someone who used to do that kind of job. Thanks for all the comparisons. My wife switching from 4 to 2's 11pm news over the three months mentioned apparently is part of a womanly trend. Although in the A ? category for the same age group the trend flows in the opposite direction. What is A?

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:35 pm

Why are you so interested in outing people on here glare???

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:24 pm

screen glare wrote:Hey N. What do you do all day and night? I doubt there's anyone on this board currently or in the past who would have the time to transcribe TV ratings numbers in both numerical detail and volume of categories as you have. You must be a ratings analyst guy or gal at 2, 4, or 7. Or someone who used to do that kind of job. Thanks for all the comparisons. My wife switching from 4 to 2's 11pm news over the three months mentioned apparently is part of a womanly trend. Although in the A ? category for the same age group the trend flows in the opposite direction. What is A?
A is adults. It took me 2 hours to transcribe the press releases all by my lonesome at my desk at home at about 230am or whenever...

FOX 2's press releases are in color and everything is in columns so it's way easier than the old paragraphs model of press release to transcribe and list. I cheated a little by copying my demographic labels after writing them down once.

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:People don't want "young" and "hip" when they turn to 7. They want a no-nonsense newscast with experienced, mature reporters. They don't want stories featuring Ronnie Dahl writing fake tickets to folks in the Meijer parking lot, Alicia Smith fawning over last night's DWTS, or Erin Nicole talking about viral videos from the internet. They also don't want Brad Galli licking the butts of local teams & their athletes. (His story when the Tigers drafted Nick Castellanos' brother made me want to vomit.)
Agreed. 7's lame attempt at trying to level with my generation is the biggest reason why I just can't stand their newscasts. The Ronnie Dahl disasters, the ass-kissing of ABC's gawd-awful primetime programming, and most of all the incessant barrage of "viral videos" being crammed down my throat. I don't care who thought of a new way to do the gangam style dance or what celebrity poured ice water on themselves! WXYZ has completely lost sight of all of the qualities that once made them a great and pioneering station. You just listed a big part of the solution, which is going back to no-nonsense journalism. Every generation can understand that.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:57 am

JackAttack FM wrote:
MW wrote:As I recall, WXYZ's 10p newscasts on WKBD many years ago earned much better ratings than what the WMYD newscasts are currently producing.
I did watch 10pm until they changed to Catallo and Glenda Lewis as anchors and started to air long interview segments from the 4pm newscast (complete with 4pm time and temp bug and The Now graphics borrowed from WPLG Miami circa 1987). Can you not get a clean feed of your own newscast or what?!?!

And while we’re at it, its time to change anchors at 5pm again. The current ones have been there at least 3 months.
It’s a shame, for the 80’s, 90’s and most of the 2000’s 5pm used to be 7’s signature newscast. The one that drew in and held news viewers for the 5pm to 7:30 block.

7’s 11pm, as I’ll say again, has much improved and I’d say its the best show in that timeslot. If people are too fat and stubborn to change the channel from 4’s 11pm abortion its their loss. 2’s 11pm is looking better too.
7’s 7pm that has been mostly left alone is still an easy watch for news too.

As a side note. Why do the sports media pander all over Castellanos and the hole in his third base glove and his blindness while running bases???
This week they moved the beam me up Scotty looking desk over in front of the monitor array wall and are using that as a backdrop. It looks decent. I haven't seen any interviews on 7's 4pm (and as a result their 10pm) in a few days now. Maybe it's a sign or maybe not. I agree with FM that the interviews were not adding anything but filler to the 10pm.

7's 5pm is their weakest show of the day right now outside of the 7-9am on 20 which looks like nothing more than a real world producer training module. They need to liven up or find a strong pair of anchors for that show. Carolyn Clifford and Glenda Lewis at 5 don't work that well together and Curtis Jackson and Glenda aren't that well paired either. It's not bad as a serious newscast (their product has seen some hardening since the beginning of the month, thanks whoever you are). The 5pm has had 4 different anchor pairings since Robbie Timmons retired in 2010:
Diana Lewis / JoAnne Purtan
JoAnne Purtan / Jeff Vaughn
Glenda Lewis / Carolyn Clifford
Glenda Lewis / Curtis Jackson
To my knowledge this is the first time 7 has split it's 5pm anchor pairings into 5 and 530 as well.

7's 6pm is solid but not a standout. The 7 and 11pm shows are really good and the 11pm in particular is starting to really look like an O&O product similar to what KABC puts out regularly in tone and style. If they got a better graphics / music package (closer to the O&O's) it would help them out a lot. The package they have now isn't really major market enough for an O&O style newscast. Easier said than done with Scripps corporate calling the shots on how their stations look. This may be their weakest thing right now that might turn people off.

There is now little to no fluff (viral videos and junky ABC fawning) across 7's newscasts. Guess where they went: the 7-9am producer training ground on 20. It's like some kind of place where that stuff goes to die.

Oh and will Dave LewAllen ever get a real permanent weekend co-anchor to replace Glenda? How can they sit there and let him solo Saturday at 6, 7, 10 and 11 and Sunday at 6 and 10 and then trot Heather Catallo in to do the 11 so that she isn't available for the 10 and 11 on Fridays? They even had a job posting for a weekend evening anchor / MMJ. They let Jane Park anchor a couple times with him and then that was the last sign of anything. And that was LAST YEAR. Ugh. And at the same time they put Andy Choi on weekend mornings to replace Malcom right away... I don't get it...
WXYZ needs to ditch Rich Van Slyke as their V/O guy for news promos. He doesn't have the authoritative sounding voice that people associate with news.
Agreed, Rich Van Slyke may very well be nice but he's not a news V/O guy, not even for a second. I would like to see Bob Tracy make a comeback (he voiced the 7 Stands For News and early 7 On Your Side Stuff). I find Bill Ratner to be both overused and inferior to Tracy. Ann DeWig (this woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkCvJtoF-0) is horrible for a news station and news promos. 7 has had a tendency to use her when they need something to sound sexy and it's the epitome of what we have been discussing here. "Download it... I know you'll love it..." from their app ad from 2013-14 and "Ohhhh Yeahhhh, I... Cannot... Wait....." in response to Van Slyke talking about the cars at the autoshow being so cool was disgusting. Somebody has figured this out and toned down (and greatly improved) the promos 7 puts out. When I was in Memphis I believe the Classic Hits station used both Van Slyke and DeWig in promos basically talking to each other. It sucked big time. They sound like 2 announcers straight out of one of the parody radio stations on GTA 5... :x :x :barf
Alicia Smith fawning over last night's DWTS, or Erin Nicole talking about viral videos from the internet.
Like I say they cut those out of the 430-7am part of 7's morning show although they sometimes show brief highlights of DWTS but this isn't an always and they don't dwell. All that happens in the A block of the 8am hour. 7's morning show may be bloated with talent (Ann Marie LaFlamme - Traffic Reporter extraordinaire is such a waste in that role) but it is almost 100% solid news now as are the rest of 7's newscasts. They've done a pretty good job beefing up the content over there and a not so good job promoting that they did. Most of the major changes started in April with the anchor shuffle and the content beefing up has really accelerated in recent weeks.

Their 4pm has undergone the most dramatic change... 85% crappy viral and online content driven by social media when Galli and Glenda had it to 95% hard news with Clark and Purtan since they took over in April.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:47 am

I would like to see Bob Tracy make a comeback (he voiced the 7 Stands For News and early 7 On Your Side Stuff).
Agreed!!!
Ann DeWig (this woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkCvJtoF-0) is horrible for a news station and news promos.
Double agreed!!!! I cannot stand 7's auto show promos, either. They exhibit the same negative qualities that exist with their news product.

Getting back to the discussion of morning newscasts, WJBK has saved all of the fluff for the 8a & 9a hours for years. They are very straight laced from 6a to 7:30a (when I generally tune in) and earn outstanding ratings for that effort.

7's sister station in Cincinnati (WCPO) has very little fluff in any of its newscasts and earns very good ratings - often finishing #1 other than 11p (thank the ABC network's crappy programming for that). I don't understand why WXYZ cannot follow that same model.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
I would like to see Bob Tracy make a comeback (he voiced the 7 Stands For News and early 7 On Your Side Stuff).
Agreed!!!
Ann DeWig (this woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkCvJtoF-0) is horrible for a news station and news promos.
Double agreed!!!! I cannot stand 7's auto show promos, either. They exhibit the same negative qualities that exist with their news product.

Getting back to the discussion of morning newscasts, WJBK has saved all of the fluff for the 8a & 9a hours for years. They are very straight laced from 6a to 7:30a (when I generally tune in) and earn outstanding ratings for that effort.

7's sister station in Cincinnati (WCPO) has very little fluff in any of its newscasts and earns very good ratings - often finishing #1 other than 11p (thank the ABC network's crappy programming for that). I don't understand why WXYZ cannot follow that same model.
What bothers me the most is that prior to Tim Dye (let's say 2011) 7's product was way more conservative and like WCPO and WEWS used the same branding. For some reason rather than restore what ailed the hard news format 7 always had Dye and co. Decided to do the botched product we've had for a while now. I think Manney is trying to bring that back but: how much can he really accomplish with 4/5ths of a solid talent roster and an on air look meant for Kansas City and not Detroit?

It's been discussed on another forum of late that "7 (or 41 like KSHB) Action News" newscast branding was Scripps idea. I don't doubt that for a second. What seems odd to me is hearing everybody dance around using the word Channel before the 7 in the name but use it for virtually all other programming. It's hard for me to fathem why they would rename their newscasts after 39 years (I know one word may not seem like much but it's really disjointed their branding). Several new talents (and a couple anchors) have used the "Channel 7 Action News" toss on their very first report before being corrected (Alexis Means, Camille Amiri, Ann Marie LaFlamme, Stephen Clark and Carolyn Clifford off hand). I think it's a bad sign for your branding efforts if you sit and rebrand and make a big deal out of trying to be hip "look mom no channel!!" And several people come in there and use the tag the place is known for even half a decade later. They should add Channel back into it... Somehow it's not only more familiar but it's more credible that way.

On your note of watching other newscasts Scripps puts out at its other stations I'm always struck by how not only normal they look but how serious they are. Every time I see that I wonder what happened. It's like 7 got hit by a bus with a battering ram on the front powered by jet fuel...

All this hopefully doesn't cloud the overall feeling that 7 is much improved as a news department from January 2014 when Manney took over. Now it's about how to fully restore what it was.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:38 pm

If was 7 or 4 I'd research why 2 is so popular – Certainly they're doing a lot right. My observation is the street reporters are grittier. Agree MW 7's VO guy sounds like a kid – No authority.

I am surprised the WXYZ ND has lasted this long. No previous ND experience. All his broadcast jobs weren't as the boss. Yeah I know he was, I think, ND of WTVS but that really doesn't count. His work at WPIX again wasn't the boss. Rick Gevers publishes weekly a news sheet of ND new, lost jobs available. Reading the bios of ND's including small markets like Las Vegas has heavy experienced.

What surprise me the "new" mornings on 7. Malcom is as much of an anchor you can get in this age. New traffic reporter with Anne Marie who is really animated. Jeff Vaughn I guess is a through away but he probably gets anchor pay. Personally I like that feature. I like more people so you're not watching the historic team. They now have Nina and Jennifer on the street and they're strong. Erin is on air for about 5 minutes; assume she is on the 20 show. Not having a morning sports person - Seems like a missing link.

So the only two holdover jobs are Alicia and Keenan; are they the problem?

Personally I like what Ronnie does.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:46 pm

"Malcom is as much of an anchor (as) you can get in this age". What does THAT mean LouPerry?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic