All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Jonathan Carlson

Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Jonathan Carlson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 pm

He may kill me for posting this, but I believe it is newsworthy.

Ross Jones is leaving WXYZ to join our DC Bureau, in a well deserved move, that will fit his style and talents perfectly.

The "7 Investigators" won't be the same without him.




Scripps Washington Bureau hires investigative reporter from WXYZ in Detroit

SEPT. 1, 2015

CINCINNATI – Ross Jones, an experienced investigative journalist from WXYZ, the Detroit ABC affiliate of The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP), is joining the Scripps Washington Bureau as an investigative correspondent, effective Oct. 5.

Jones’ award-winning work exposed corruption and waste at all levels of government, sent public officials to prison and into hiding, and spurred multiple FBI investigations.

His most recent work, a yearlong series probing the systemic failures of Michigan’s mental health system, prompted unprecedented legislation designed to drastically reform the state’s mental health code.

His investigations into corruption and waste inside Wayne County spurred a series of indictments and firings, and helped reshape county government. The years-long investigative series, "Wayne County Confidential: Government Run Amok,” earned WXYZ and Jones the prestigious duPont-Columbia award.

“Ross is a fantastic addition to our national investigative team,” said Ellen Weiss, vice president and Washington bureau chief. “His tenacity and relentless commitment to getting at the truth has prompted major reform. We anticipate more enterprise investigations as Ross takes his skills to the national level.”

Ross was the first to report on a slew of secret funds used—and often abused—by elected officials throughout Michigan, including former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s "Civic Fund," Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano’s "EDGE Fund" and Governor Rick Snyder’s "NERD Fund." All three funds have either been disbanded or completely reformed.

Jones' reports exposing State Supreme Court Justice Diane Hathaway's mortgage fraud led to a grand jury investigation and, ultimately, her criminal conviction. She was sentenced to one year in prison.

“We are extremely fortunate that Ross Jones is joining our team,” said Lawan Hamilton, executive producer for Scripps National Investigations. “He is a natural watchdog and will be a great asset to our team to help expose corruption and hold officials accountable in Washington.”
Ross Jones is a graduate of Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in journalism.



LouPerry
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by LouPerry » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 pm

He's one of the good guys. Wish him well.
http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scripps-was ... er20150901



Deleted User 8570

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Wonderful... They get 7 working on 3 of its 4 cylinders and start stripping talent from it... Good luck to him, I always thought he deserved to be the lead investigator at 7.



Ross Jones 7

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Ross Jones 7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it...especially on the Buzzboard, where they aren't exactly handed out like candy. :)

You'll still see my reports on Channel 7, plus the other 32 Scripps television properties across the country. I'll be working on national investigations that I hope will produce the same kind of results that you've seen from my work here at Broadcast House.

Just like here at 7, the DC bureau is made up of seasoned, polished professionals who value meaningful journalism in the public interest. Stay tuned.

Ross



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4645
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:23 pm

It's good to hear your strong investigative reporting skills will be leveraged in your new role. You've done excellent work in recent years holding local political leaders accountable and exposing corruption (or at the very least, mismanagement of taxpayers' dollars).

Best wishes in your new role. :) While I will miss your fine and highly informative local reporting, I look forward to your future work.


MEMO TO WNIC AND MIX 92.3: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! IT IS LOUD, DISTORTED, AND MAKES THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE FATIGUING!!!.

screen glare
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by screen glare » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 am

One thing's for sure. Ross Jones is pretty damn impressed with Ross Jones. A "seasoned, polished professional" ... from "Broadcast House" who we'll still be able to watch (what a relief!)

Pompous, self-congratulatory statements from an adult never sound ernest. Instead they sound like a clanging brass bell. His post about himself is cringe-worthy.



Deleted User 8570

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:56 am

screen glare wrote:One thing's for sure. Ross Jones is pretty damn impressed with Ross Jones. A "seasoned, polished professional" ... from "Broadcast House" who we'll still be able to watch (what a relief!)

Pompous, self-congratulatory statements from an adult never sound ernest. Instead they sound like a clanging brass bell. His post about himself is cringe-worthy.
What is it with you? He called the people at the DC bureau "seasoned, polished professionals". Nothing he said was at all self serving.



Richard Shine

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Richard Shine » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 am

screen glare wrote:One thing's for sure. Ross Jones is pretty damn impressed with Ross Jones. A "seasoned, polished professional" ... from "Broadcast House" who we'll still be able to watch (what a relief!)

Pompous, self-congratulatory statements from an adult never sound ernest. Instead they sound like a clanging brass bell. His post about himself is cringe-worthy.
go home screen glare, you're drunk.



jry
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 am
Location: somewhere in the former boonies

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by jry » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm

[quote="Jonathan Carlson"]He may kill me for posting this, but I believe it is newsworthy.

Ross Jones is leaving WXYZ to join our DC Bureau, in a well deserved move, that will fit his style and talents perfectly.

The "7 Investigators" won't be the same without him.




Scripps Washington Bureau hires investigative reporter from WXYZ in Detroit

SEPT. 1, 2015

CINCINNATI – Ross Jones, an experienced investigative journalist from WXYZ, the Detroit ABC affiliate of The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP), is joining the Scripps Washington Bureau as an investigative correspondent, effective Oct. 5.

Jones’ award-winning work exposed corruption and waste at all levels of government, sent public officials to prison and into hiding, and spurred multiple FBI investigations.

His most recent work, a yearlong series probing the systemic failures of Michigan’s mental health system, prompted unprecedented legislation designed to drastically reform the state’s mental health code.

His investigations into corruption and waste inside Wayne County spurred a series of indictments and firings, and helped reshape county government. The years-long investigative series, "Wayne County Confidential: Government Run Amok,” earned WXYZ and Jones the prestigious duPont-Columbia award.

“Ross is a fantastic addition to our national investigative team,” said Ellen Weiss, vice president and Washington bureau chief. “His tenacity and relentless commitment to getting at the truth has prompted major reform. We anticipate more enterprise investigations as Ross takes his skills to the national level.”

Ross was the first to report on a slew of secret funds used—and often abused—by elected officials throughout Michigan, including former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s "Civic Fund," Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano’s "EDGE Fund" and Governor Rick Snyder’s "NERD Fund." All three funds have either been disbanded or completely reformed.

Jones' reports exposing State Supreme Court Justice Diane Hathaway's mortgage fraud led to a grand jury investigation and, ultimately, her criminal conviction. She was sentenced to one year in prison.

“We are extremely fortunate that Ross Jones is joining our team,” said Lawan Hamilton, executive producer for Scripps National Investigations. “He is a natural watchdog and will be a great asset to our team to help expose corruption and hold officials accountable in Washington.”
Ross Jones is a graduate of Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in journalism.[/quote]

BOO! I protest this in the strongest terms....



Love Pink

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Love Pink » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:10 am

Another bittersweet moment. Congratulations to Ross Jones. We'll miss you. WXYZ is losing big time on this one.
screen glare wrote:One thing's for sure. Ross Jones is pretty damn impressed with Ross Jones. A "seasoned, polished professional" ... from "Broadcast House" who we'll still be able to watch (what a relief!)



Pompous, self-congratulatory statements from an adult never sound ernest. Instead they sound like a clanging brass bell. His post about himself is cringe-worthy.
Wow. Is it just too hard to be classy and congratulate him instead unloading insults? You don't have to like the guy, but you also don't have to be mean either.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4645
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:47 am

I think Screen Glare attended DPS; his reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Screen Glare - your post is the only thing here that is cringe worthy.


MEMO TO WNIC AND MIX 92.3: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! IT IS LOUD, DISTORTED, AND MAKES THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE FATIGUING!!!.

SixPlusOne
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by SixPlusOne » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 am

Ross Jones 7 wrote:I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it...especially on the Buzzboard, where they aren't exactly handed out like candy. :)

You'll still see my reports on Channel 7, plus the other 32 Scripps television properties across the country. I'll be working on national investigations that I hope will produce the same kind of results that you've seen from my work here at Broadcast House.

Just like here at 7, the DC bureau is made up of seasoned, polished professionals who value meaningful journalism in the public interest. Stay tuned.

Ross
Congratulations Ross on your advancement. I worked at WXYZ-TV for 36 years till August 2010 in Engineering. I have watched your reports of investigation with interest. You are a quality employee with a lot of talent. I could tell from the start that you had what it takes to put forth in depth reports on any subject. I predict you will excel in the District of Columbia. Best of luck and say hi to Mr. Bousquet from Boyles. He will know who it is.



screen glare
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by screen glare » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Reread it N: "Just like here at 7..."

Meaning: Just like the polished, professionals here at 7 including me, Ross Jones...

Etc. etc. etc. The entire post is full of such mitigated bragging.

Mr. Jones: Go ahead and "take a compliment wherever you can get it". But if you are driven to use your talent to expose the misdeeds of others, take extra care to avoid pride. Otherwise you'll begin to notice the same dark temptations and weaknesses in yourself. Why? Because you, too are only human. Which means, you too will make wrong decisions.

Humble should be your goal. Accurate, but humble. Not with a fake humble demeanor, but with a sincerely humble core and tongue. Winning awards for revealing horrible behaviors of fellow humans and (due to you) the resulting beneficial changes to society isn't personally damaging until you lose all feeling of gratitude, and instead "bust your buttons" over your hard-won success.

The essential filter by which to observe and report unfortunate human circumstances and choices? There but for the grace of God go I".



Deleted User 8570

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:10 pm

screen glare wrote:Reread it N: "Just like here at 7..."

Meaning: Just like the polished, professionals here at 7 including me, Ross Jones...

Etc. etc. etc. The entire post is full of such mitigated bragging.

Mr. Jones: Go ahead and "take a compliment wherever you can get it". But if you are driven to use your talent to expose the misdeeds of others, take extra care to avoid pride. Otherwise you'll begin to notice the same dark temptations and weaknesses in yourself. Why? Because you, too are only human. Which means, you too will make wrong decisions.

Humble should be your goal. Accurate, but humble. Not with a fake humble demeanor, but with a sincerely humble core and tongue. Winning awards for revealing horrible behaviors of fellow humans and (due to you) the resulting beneficial changes to society isn't personally damaging until you lose all feeling of gratitude, and instead "bust your buttons" over your hard-won success.

The essential filter by which to observe and report unfortunate human circumstances and choices? There but for the grace of God go I".
That calls him and everyone else in that unit a seasoned polished professional. There's nothing wrong with that. You'd rather he say "just like here at 7 the DC bureau is make up of fat lazy slobs with no interest in their work"?!?! I mean if that's the way he feels about his unit and his work than why slap him around for it? These giant "ethical issues" you raise are mostly mythical...



DAC
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Ross Jones Leaving Channel 7 for DC Bureau

Post by DAC » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:27 pm

NS8401 wrote:
screen glare wrote:Reread it N: "Just like here at 7..."

Meaning: Just like the polished, professionals here at 7 including me, Ross Jones...

Etc. etc. etc. The entire post is full of such mitigated bragging.

Mr. Jones: Go ahead and "take a compliment wherever you can get it". But if you are driven to use your talent to expose the misdeeds of others, take extra care to avoid pride. Otherwise you'll begin to notice the same dark temptations and weaknesses in yourself. Why? Because you, too are only human. Which means, you too will make wrong decisions.

Humble should be your goal. Accurate, but humble. Not with a fake humble demeanor, but with a sincerely humble core and tongue. Winning awards for revealing horrible behaviors of fellow humans and (due to you) the resulting beneficial changes to society isn't personally damaging until you lose all feeling of gratitude, and instead "bust your buttons" over your hard-won success.

The essential filter by which to observe and report unfortunate human circumstances and choices? There but for the grace of God go I".
That calls him and everyone else in that unit a seasoned polished professional. There's nothing wrong with that. You'd rather he say "just like here at 7 the DC bureau is make up of fat lazy slobs with no interest in their work"?!?! I mean if that's the way he feels about his unit and his work than why slap him around for it? These giant "ethical issues" you raise are mostly mythical...
Don't pay any attention to Screen Glare. He's a few grapes short of a fruit salad. SG, you should be looking at this as a GOOD thing! When your wife goes off her rails because she notices Ross is missing, you'll already have the explanation to which you consider yourself so entitled! Peace and harmony in the Glare household! Where has that darn Carmen been, anyhow?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic