All accepted registrations through August 15 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofan

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Post by radiofan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 pm

I was down on Price for a while when I thought he was eating on the air. It really seemed quite rude and disdainful of his audience. Eating into a microphone irritates the hell out of me. I detest commercials with chomping and slurping in them. Then when I found out he sounded like that because of medication he was taking, I felt a little bad about having those thoughts, and have come to appreciate what he does.

He's a solid second man in the booth with Dan and gives some good insight with entertaining stories thrown in now and then. Yeah, he may slip up at times like the one Andy pointed out, but given his age and the grind of a 162 game season, I'd say he does pretty well. I'd vote to keep him.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:18 am

I will say he's not alone in sucking as an announcer. Collectively, the Tigers crew of color guys are terrible. Monroe, Price, Allen. They all suck. I can't believe a MLB team can't find better choices than these Modern Day Three Stooges.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:38 am

Faymos wrote:
Andy Sipowicz wrote:This nitwit interviewed Dylan Larkin the other day and says "You started school as a young kid."

Yeah, Jim. That's how it works. Except in your case apparently. Maybe you should get some education.
I don't think anyone's ever claimed that Jim's a genius. And, yeah, he uses jargon that kind of sounds made-up, and he's a bit repetitive and sometimes silly. But he's also very knowledgeable, joyful, upbeat, humble, self-deprecating, funny, and passionate. And he has a good voice / style that's not grating (Mike Shannon), weird (Tom Hamilton, Buck Martinez, Rick Sutcliffe, Skip Caray - rip), embarrassing / schmucky (Ken Harrelson, John Sterling, Jon Sciambi), or a total snoozefest (Mike Shannon, Tom Hamilton).

He's underrated, actually quite talented, totally underappreciated, and we're lucky to have him. (And, no, I don't know Jim or anything).
Respectfully disagreeing. A recurring theme that you've mentioned is that he brings joy to the broadcasts. I steadfastly say that the joy (and sorrow) in baseball is in the game itself, not in those describing the action. I think that a lot of us who do not appreciate Jim might resent him a bit for bringing so much jocularity to the booth when paired with Ernie prior to his retirement. For decades, the joy (and sorrow) of baseball came through our radios loud and clear without anyone yukking it up in the booth and trying to be silly and entertaining (or telling us when it's time to be serious, for that matter). Personally, I find his "joyful" sounds on the air to be at most disingenuous and insincere, and at least unnecessary.

deadend

Post by deadend » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:03 am

Price is the worst color commentator in sports history. He offers no insight of the game and as someone said earlier, he's a killjoy who sucks the excitement out of the broadcast. Dickerson is the one who has to fill in the dead air by giving analyst insight with stupid Jim Price saying "that's right" over and over along with his other stupid catch phrases and laughing like a maniac at inappropriate junctions of the game. I'm not defending Dickerson but if he doesn't give analyst as well as play by play, we would just sit there listening to Price eating in the mic and breathing heavy and repeating his stupid crutch phrases "wow. art of pitching. nice area. hahahahahahahahaha. that's right, dan. golly. back in '68. toeing the slab.."etc etc..

I mean no disrespect in any way to you, Faymos, but stupid Jim Price uses "jargon that kind of sounds made-up, and he's a repetitive and sometimes silly". HE does NOT have a good voice, hence all the mumbling and ruining sponsorship liners by mumbling and stuttering though them. Id be FURIOUS if I paid for my business to be advertised during the game only to have this buffoon Jim Price mumble through it. He is grating and embarrassing to listen to. I don't like to have people lose their job, but I wish they'd get rid of him.

And he needs to quit eating on the air.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:00 am

deadend wrote:Price is the worst color commentator in sports history. He offers no insight of the game and as someone said earlier, he's a killjoy who sucks the excitement out of the broadcast. Dickerson is the one who has to fill in the dead air by giving analyst insight with stupid Jim Price saying "that's right" over and over along with his other stupid catch phrases and laughing like a maniac at inappropriate junctions of the game. I'm not defending Dickerson but if he doesn't give analyst as well as play by play, we would just sit there listening to Price eating in the mic and breathing heavy and repeating his stupid crutch phrases "wow. art of pitching. nice area. hahahahahahahahaha. that's right, dan. golly. back in '68. toeing the slab.."etc etc..

I mean no disrespect in any way to you, Faymos, but stupid Jim Price uses "jargon that kind of sounds made-up, and he's a repetitive and sometimes silly". HE does NOT have a good voice, hence all the mumbling and ruining sponsorship liners by mumbling and stuttering though them. Id be FURIOUS if I paid for my business to be advertised during the game only to have this buffoon Jim Price mumble through it. He is grating and embarrassing to listen to. I don't like to have people lose their job, but I wish they'd get rid of him.

And he needs to quit eating on the air.
Wow...*slightly* different take from mine. ;)

I don't know, I really like him. At the very worst I find him to be neutral. Paired with the criminally underrated Dickerson, I think it just totally works. I find them to be interesting, fun, even charming.

I absolutely cannot stand so many baseball announcers, and find them downright unlistenable. If the Tigers were up three games to none in the World Series, and the only way I could watch or listen to the final four games would be to put up with Jon Sciambi, I'd turn it off immediately and just go watch a local junior high tennis match or something.

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:58 am

Faymos wrote:I don't think anyone's ever claimed that Jim's a genius. And, yeah, he uses jargon that kind of sounds made-up, and he's a bit repetitive and sometimes silly. But he's also very knowledgeable, joyful, upbeat, humble, self-deprecating, funny, and passionate.
I won't disagree with what you're saying here, but you've left out a few negatives:

Like his constant mispronunciation of player names, or his over use of "wow."

I'm not a Jim Price hater, but I'm also not a H*** fan of him. I can tolerate him as a color guy though. When he did play-by-play he was awful.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Mispronouncing the names of guys like Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Nick Castellanos is inexcusable. And his producers or bosses at Fox should get kicked in the nuts for not telling him he's botching the names. Mispronouncing names is the sign of a true amateur.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Dickerson underrated????? That's a laugh.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Willie108 wrote:Dickerson underrated????? That's a laugh.
Impressive, irrefutable dissertation.

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Is it too early?

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Probably only nine days from the resumption of our discontent.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:15 pm

DAC wrote:Is it too early?
Not at all. He drives me crazy doing color.

Captain Cliche really just needs to retire ASAP....

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am

Can't we at least start a new annual Jim Price Stinks thread?
Question: who would you rather have instead (besides the great Paul Carey)?

I still miss the Shea's Sweater Puppies threads- where did she go to, and why no screen caps?

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:23 pm

WOHO wrote: Question: who would you rather have instead (besides the great Paul Carey)?
I'd like there to not be color commentary on the radio. A great play by play guy solo is better pacing for a baseball game IMO, although I've heard many say that constant chatter is the key to holding the attention of an audience. I think that anyone who is listening to baseball on the radio probably loves the game enough to be captivated merely by the game itself.

bjmcdevitt

Post by bjmcdevitt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm

WOHO wrote:
I still miss the Shea's Sweater Puppies threads- where did she go to, and why no screen caps?
Someone mentioned a while ago that it appears that she had breast reduction surgery.

http://imgur.com/a/0Wz29

Please look at my signature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic