All accepted registrations through May 16 at 7:15p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
DAC

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Post by DAC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:06 am

deadend wrote:
Andy Sipowicz wrote:The late Scott B.? Well, a dead guy couldn't be worse than Price!
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

He needs to go. The eating on the air, the constant repeating of terrible catch phrases "wow", "nice area", "the art of pitching", "right, Dan. That's right", etc is just indicative of him not knowing what's going on. He relies on these phrases because he has no insight whatsoever. He kills the broadcasts. He sucks the joy out of every exciting moment every time he opens his yap to say his deadpan "wow", laugh his fake laugh at inappropriate times, or his heavy breathing in the mic and eating on the air.
I think it's been pretty well established that he's not eating on the air, so he should get a pass on that one. If George Kell or Ernie Harwell wound up making those sounds into the mic for similar reasons, we would have forgiven them in a heartbeat (although, I think both of those guys most definitely knew when to step down). However, you are right on all other counts. I was stuck in a friend's car today for a good portion of the game, and the things you mentioned rang out loud and clear. Has anyone else noticed that Dan actually does most of the analysis, and Jim just confirms what he says? Examples:

Dan: The Rays have been relying too much on the fastball to Kinsler.
Jim Yes!
Dan: They've thrown mainly fastballs to Ian in this series, and they shouldn't do that as hot as he's been.
Jim No!
<Kinsler hits his 200th HR>
Dan "It's a DEEP FLY BALL! THIS IS A NO <Jim interrupts: Wow!> DOUBTER. THIS BALL IS <Jim Interrupts: WOW!!> GONE! Ian Kinsler with his <Jim Interrupts: That was deep!> 200th career Home run, off the <Jim Interrupts: did that hit the...> CATWALK!

It's just bad. And I don't feel like an "asshole" for pointing that out. Let's give Dan a game solo in the booth and see how it sounds. Jim could be an excellent ambassador for the Tigers and their many charity causes, if he gets over the need to sound smart and goes for sincere.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:52 am

Give Dan a solo game??? Are you kidding??? His incessant screaming would blow out many radios.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Willie108 wrote:Give Dan a solo game??? Are you kidding??? His incessant screaming would blow out many radios.
No, not kidding. Price's presence doesn't limit the shouting (which I also find annoying). Big play or big home run, he shouts. Difference would be there wouldn't be any "wow. wow. wow." in the background.

deadend

Post by deadend » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:48 pm

[quote="DAC"][quote="Willie108"]Give Dan a solo game??? Are you kidding??? His incessant screaming would blow out many radios.[/quote]

No, not kidding. Price's presence doesn't limit the shouting (which I also find annoying). Big play or big home run, he shouts. Difference would be there wouldn't be any "wow. wow. wow." in the background.[/quote]

I agree. Jim price never breaks down a play or adds any insight. Dan Dickerson does it for him because Jim Price doesn't know what to say except his stupid catch phrases. And when Dickerson adds the insight all Price repeatedly says is "right" or "that's right". One time while driving to work and listening to a game, stupid jim price said "that's right" or "right, Dan" at least 30 times. I counted for my own amusement. He sucks.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:02 pm

You can't buy or teach the chemistry that the two have. Joyful. Always laughing. Make every game fun. Have good voices (unlike most of the Muppets and psychos on 97.1 and the former Sports 105.1).

Do you people ever listen to other baseball broadcasts??? Show me a solo guy or a team who's better than our radio guys. (And don't even give me Vin Scully. Yeah, he's a smooth, polished pro, but he's been a snoozefest for decades). We're totally spoiled here.

And Jim is incredibly knowledgeable, though, granted repetitive, and he's a bit on the silly side. But so what? God forbid there's any joy or humor in any facet of the media. Or on this board.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Faymos wrote: Do you people ever listen to other baseball broadcasts???
If I have a lousy meal at a restaurant, I don't need to go to 29 others to realize it sucked. Just like I don't need to listen to 29 other broadcasters to know Price sucks. Says the same thing every game. "Arsenal ... art of pitching ... wow." And he says them all repeatedly. He adds NOTHING to the broadcast except an annoyance factor.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Do you people ever listen to other baseball broadcasts??? Show me a solo guy or a team who's better than our radio guys.
That's an easy question - the Reds, Blue Jays and Brewers all have superior radio booths.

Dan & Jim are not bad (in my eyes), but many of the earlier criticisms are legitimate.

I actually prefer Mario on the radio to Dan.

To the lazy bums at Entercom - FIX YOUR FRIGGIN' RADIO STATION WEB SITE PLAYLIST LOGS!!! Thank you.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 am

Faymos, I like Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer on Cubs broadcasts.

I heard Price on Sunday talking about his minor league days losing weight while he learned to be a catcher in the heat of Kinston, N.C. It was nothing I cared to hear, but it was an improvement on the rote responses he makes all too many times.

"Everyday Ian, Nice Area, The Art of Pitching," bag that stuff.

He came on later in the game, after saying the Indians were losing late several minutes before, and immediately repeated what Mario said about how the Tribe lost, as if he didn't hear his partner. He's lost.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Do you people ever listen to other baseball broadcasts??? Show me a solo guy or a team who's better than our radio guys.
That's an easy question - the Reds, Blue Jays and Brewers all have superior radio booths.

Dan & Jim are not bad (in my eyes), but many of the earlier criticisms are legitimate.

I actually prefer Mario on the radio to Dan.
Mario's not awful, but he's an amateur compared to Dan. If you can't hear that, and if you prefer the guy who yell-talks every single sentence like the cheeseball morning show guys that The Simpsons and Family Guy satirize, then, okay, whatever.

But I agree that Bob Uecker, Jerry Howarth, and the Brennemans are great.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Which are, and which are not?

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:15 pm

The lifetime .214 hitter said today that no batter wants to get behind in the count against Verlander. Really Dr. Baseball? is ther a fucking hitter on Earth who wants to get behind in the count against ANY pitcher?

And don't get me started on him calling Verlander possibly one of the best pitchers in MLB history. Yeah, right. Verlander has got 188 pitchers -- ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-EIGHT! -- ahead of him in all-time victories and his ERA is barely in the top 400 of all-time. THE TOP 400! Hell, DAVE ROZEMA has a lower career ERA than Verlander.

Price is a fucking stooge.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:51 am

Mario's not awful, but he's an amateur compared to Dan. If you can't hear that, and if you prefer the guy who yell-talks every single sentence like the cheeseball morning show guys that The Simpsons and Family Guy satirize, then, okay, whatever.
I just like the change of pace - that's all. If it were Mario on the radio every single game (or close to it) for years on end, I'd probably be pining for Dickerson.

Dickerson has annoying crutches, too. His exuberant shouting was noted earlier. Frankly, I don't mind that so much if it's used on a limited basis. It's his quiet, anxiety filled voice where he extends syllables when describing pitches that drives me up the wall. This usually occurs when the Tigers have men on base in game where they trail or when their opponent has men on base in a game where the Tigers lead.

A couple weeks ago, the Tigers fell into a 3 or 4 run deficit early in a game, and Dickerson sounded like his dog just died. He sounded so distraught that it was ridiculous. You would've never heard that type of (unprofessional) reaction from Ernie.

As for Jim Price, sorry Faymos, but I really don't care to give you a blow-by-blow breakdown of the legitimate vs. non-legitimate criticisms here. You apparently are more fascinated in the topic than I am.

I'm glad we agree, though, about the radio broadcasters for the Jays, Reds and Brewers. :blink

To the lazy bums at Entercom - FIX YOUR FRIGGIN' RADIO STATION WEB SITE PLAYLIST LOGS!!! Thank you.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:A couple weeks ago, the Tigers fell into a 3 or 4 run deficit early in a game, and Dickerson sounded like his dog just died. He sounded so distraught that it was ridiculous. You would've never heard that type of (unprofessional) reaction from Ernie.
You've apparently never heard the ChiSox radio announcers. Heard them once at the end of a game that resulted in a loss - you would've sworn they were about to jump off the ledge and committ suicide based on their dreadful tone.

ANYBODY but tRump 2020
Make America smart again

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm

This nitwit interviewed Dylan Larkin the other day and says "You started school as a young kid."

Yeah, Jim. That's how it works. Except in your case apparently. Maybe you should get some education.

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:09 am

Andy Sipowicz wrote:This nitwit interviewed Dylan Larkin the other day and says "You started school as a young kid."

Yeah, Jim. That's how it works. Except in your case apparently. Maybe you should get some education.
I don't think anyone's ever claimed that Jim's a genius. And, yeah, he uses jargon that kind of sounds made-up, and he's a bit repetitive and sometimes silly. But he's also very knowledgeable, joyful, upbeat, humble, self-deprecating, funny, and passionate. And he has a good voice / style that's not grating (Mike Shannon), weird (Tom Hamilton, Buck Martinez, Rick Sutcliffe, Skip Caray - rip), embarrassing / schmucky (Ken Harrelson, John Sterling, Jon Sciambi), or a total snoozefest (Mike Shannon, Tom Hamilton).

He's underrated, actually quite talented, totally underappreciated, and we're lucky to have him. (And, no, I don't know Jim or anything).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic