All accepted registrations through December 6 at 6:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Realist

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 pm
4 1/2 years. This has to be one of the longest lasting threads in the history of this board.
If you ever heard this brain less, Ilitch ass kissing dolt, you’d know why...

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm

I suffered through the last 4 innings of tonight's game listening to Dickerson and Price. Of course, a large part of the pain was hearing the Tigers do everything they could to try to blow a big lead. However, I've determined that although Price will always be Price, there are a few simple tweaks that they can make to improve the overall presentation of the broadcast:

1. No chuckling. We don't need a "ho ho ho" every time there is a good hit or nice pitch.
2. Give the promo's (i.e., "Coming up on Sunday it's kids run the bases brought to you by Comerica) that need to be read quickly to Dickerson. Price just cannot enunciate these types of things properly with limited time.
3. No saying "wow," period.

Price will still suck, but these small changes could be an improvement. Perfection is out of reach, but improvement isn't!

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:30 pm

DAC wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm
I suffered through the last 4 innings of tonight's game listening to Dickerson and Price. Of course, a large part of the pain was hearing the Tigers do everything they could to try to blow a big lead. However, I've determined that although Price will always be Price, there are a few simple tweaks that they can make to improve the overall presentation of the broadcast:

1. No chuckling. We don't need a "ho ho ho" every time there is a good hit or nice pitch.
2. Give the promo's (i.e., "Coming up on Sunday it's kids run the bases brought to you by Comerica) that need to be read quickly to Dickerson. Price just cannot enunciate these types of things properly with limited time.
3. No saying "wow," period.

Price will still suck, but these small changes could be an improvement. Perfection is out of reach, but improvement isn't!
4. Stop geeking out on the stats and pitching nuances.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Now that the Tigers season is (mercifully) over, I'd like to wrap this up for the winter. Over the past decade, each season Price has been worst than the previous season. One of the more annoying things to me this year was that he added "He's looking for a cookie" to his arsenal of crap phrases. Yeah, I know that's how the players talk, but he's not a player. By this point, he should be playing the grandfatherly baseball sage, not trying to be "cool."

I wish he had better self awareness about when it's time for him to go. I seem to remember a couple of legendary Tigers broadcasters who both walked away still at the top of their games. After George Kell left the booth prior to the 1997 season, he returned in 99 for the last couple of games at Tiger Stadium, and hadn't lost a step on the air. Similarly, Ernie Harwell joined the ESPN booth for a couple of innings of the 2006 world series, six years after retiring, and also hadn't lost anything. They walked away when they felt it was right, and I respect that. I recall that Kell felt that his health was failing (although it didn't affect his broadcasts) and wanted to live out his live without the grind. Harwell was just generous enough to leave for the sake of giving new broadcasters a chance.

Of course, Price is no Kell or Harwell, but he still could leave with his head held relatively high if he only knew that he just doesn't have it. It seems to me that he's not going to stop, nor will anyone named Ilitch fire him, until he just cannot continue, for whatever reason.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:50 pm

DAC wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm
Now that the Tigers season is (mercifully) over, I'd like to wrap this up for the winter. Over the past decade, each season Price has been worst than the previous season. One of the more annoying things to me this year was that he added "He's looking for a cookie" to his arsenal of crap phrases. Yeah, I know that's how the players talk, but he's not a player. By this point, he should be playing the grandfatherly baseball sage, not trying to be "cool."

I wish he had better self awareness about when it's time for him to go. I seem to remember a couple of legendary Tigers broadcasters who both walked away still at the top of their games. After George Kell left the booth prior to the 1997 season, he returned in 99 for the last couple of games at Tiger Stadium, and hadn't lost a step on the air. Similarly, Ernie Harwell joined the ESPN booth for a couple of innings of the 2006 world series, six years after retiring, and also hadn't lost anything. They walked away when they felt it was right, and I respect that. I recall that Kell felt that his health was failing (although it didn't affect his broadcasts) and wanted to live out his live without the grind. Harwell was just generous enough to leave for the sake of giving new broadcasters a chance.

Of course, Price is no Kell or Harwell, but he still could leave with his head held relatively high if he only knew that he just doesn't have it. It seems to me that he's not going to stop, nor will anyone named Ilitch fire him, until he just cannot continue, for whatever reason.
If Price was smart (and I’m not so sure he is), he’d realize his health is going downhill (see the 2-3 episodes this season where he was off for that very reason) and announce his retirement from the booth effective immediately

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic