All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
joe60

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS!!!

Post by joe60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Turned on game in car today and I swear it took all of one pitch for Price to say "art of pitching" I guess spring is here

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I can tolerate Jim Price. What I can't stand is Dan Dickerson's constant and incessant screaming into the microphone every time a Tiger hits a home run. Let me tell you, he isn't no Ernie Harwell or George Kell. Heck, he's no Hawk Harrelson either!

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Regarding Dan's gregarious (meaning loud) calls of exciting moments, I wonder how well that will transition to television on the games where he and Mario flip-flop their tv/radio spots.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /80515556/

PS. I love seeing this thread pop up, particularly on snowy day like today. Spring is near! :)

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:03 pm

DAC wrote: "Spring is near! " - what, I can't hear you, did you say "The Sheriff is Near?"

Can't believe the Jim Price thread has returned- still not as popular as Shay's Sweater Puppy threads back in her day.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:52 am

joe60 wrote:Turned on game in car today and I swear it took all of one pitch for Price to say "art of pitching" I guess spring is here
Ditto. And it took me about that same amount of time to remember how much he annoys the hell out of me...

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 am

Probably said this years ago...in another thread....and a different lifetime.... when i lived underneath the 102.7 stick.....

Can anyone here do better?

Image>>RayQix<<Image

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:49 pm

RayQix wrote:Probably said this years ago...in another thread....and a different lifetime.... when i lived underneath the 102.7 stick.....

Can anyone here do better?
Similarly, I'm sure I've also said this in response. I understand the basic premise. But, when we're dealing with a consumer situation, the customer has to be right. If I get a lousy loaf of bread, I don't expect the baker to demand to know if I could do any better baking bread when I go to return it. I'm not a baker, I'm the customer. Besides, I don't really think Jim is in his position because of a lack of people who could do better.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Did anyone catch FSD's broadcast on Tuesday featuring Dickerson and Gibby in the booth? Other than possibly talking too much, Dickerson sounded good on tv. Bear in mind, I only got to watch a couple of innings, in which basically nothing happened, so not sure what the "excitement level" was when there was some action.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 am

I say,

If you think you can do better, apply for the position.

Price is beloved by fans....and if the station/network didn't think he was doing well and producing a good product, they'd make a change.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:29 pm

RayQix wrote:I say,

Price is beloved by fans....and if the station/network didn't think he was doing well and producing a good product, they'd make a change.
You already said that just a few posts up the page. I'll say again, it doesn't work that way. Price is buddies with Ilitch, period. Applications are not being accepted. How come we never see a "JIM PRICE IS BELOVED!" thread pop up each year?

Duff Tyler

Post by Duff Tyler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 am

Price is a buzz-kill. I like Dickerson's enthusiasm. It's supposed to be fun for everyone. Price, on the other hand, I can do without. The repetitive catch-phrases and low-energy delivery bring the broadcast down. I'm sure Price is a good person, but they need some new blood in the booth. Someone who recently left the game and can provide a more current perspective on it. The younger crowd never saw Al Kaline play and can't relate to Price's decades-old stories between pitches.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Dan Dickerson is the hometown radio announcer. In any market, if my hometown pbp man didn't show some enthusiasm when the team got a clutch hit up the gap or a walk-off, I'd wonder what I'd be tuning in for when I could just read the scores online.

deadend

Post by deadend » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:35 pm

I agree with the above two posters.

And let me assure you Jim Price is NOT "beloved by fans"

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Ah, a sure sign of spring. The annual Jim Price Stinks post. Thanks for bumping this.

I'm really interested to see how the experiment works with Dickerson doing pbp on TV on some games this year. It's weird... It seems to me that, regardless of opinions here, Mario and Rod are the most consistently popular team. And yet, FSD keeps trying to mess with the formula. I wonder why?

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:52 am

RayQix wrote:I say,

So they're taking applications? If so, that's proof that Price sucks.

As for the "can you do better?" question, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do worse and I have no radio experience calling games. But there are literally dozens of people out there who could do better, much better.

He's become Valenti Jr. to me. It usually only takes about one comment for me to turn off the broadcast because Price is so bad. Same shit every single game.

Price fits in perfectly at that station, which is full of mediocre people with little to no talent.

P.S. You're defending a station that hasn't made a chance when it comes to Pat Caputo, Dan Leach, Terry Foster, etc.? REALLY? When it comes to talent, the station big wigs must have studied at the Matt Millen School of Management.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic